Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 01:22 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,052,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dal2aus View Post
To begin, New Orleans doesn't have many large corporations with a presence or HQ's here, so they don't need large IT staffs. Also, being that New Orleans is in a hurricane zone, it doesn't make much sense for a major corporation to house its IT assets here if they options to locate them in other cities. It also doesn't help that CIO's everywhere are under pressure to cut costs and often outsource to the major IT contractors . Hence, market forces lead to a lack of well-paid IT careers here. However, a short trip to Baton Rouge or Jackson gives you a different situation.

This is odd because The Times Picayune had an article about a month ago about the up and coming IT market in New Orleans. Had something to do with rebuilding after Katrina and the Go Zone money being offered to companies who either rebuilt or moved here.

One other thing that is add is I checked The Times Picayune help wanted section and not one IT job was listed, so I guess you have to take the article they wrote with a grain of salt.

busta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 02:56 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Give it more time than a month.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:47 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,458 times
a. there are many tech startups here...Fortune 500s are risk adverse so they don't want to keep assets here, but the startups are far more flexible

b. I worked for Accenture in New Orleans. I want out of IT however, this is a rough town for IT work unless you love it because half of the year you are considered critical for hurricanes (and one law firm I worked for wanted me to move at my expense to Baton Rouge in case of hurricane...no way)

c. the pay here isn't too bad at all but you have to have the experience to back it up (Atlanta isn't all that great either but it really depends on the employer...I was pulling in $50k to do desktop support here...and I've worked as an administrator in Atlanta for less)

Old 05-04-2011, 05:13 PM

16 posts, read 24,553 times
Apparently you folks don't understand what the original poster is asking for. The guy wants a list of companies who are reputable and could possibly employ him.

go to Neworleanscitybusiness.com theres a list of "best places to work" that they honor each year, some IT companies and engineering firms with IT departments are present... Theres also 504ward and groups like startupNOLA and WorkNOLA that may be able to give you some insight,Moderator cut: inappropriate language

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 05-04-2011 at 09:19 PM..

Old 05-25-2011, 08:28 PM

270 posts, read 587,446 times
Good discussion y'all. Thank you for sharing. I saw both the article speaking of the top companies to work for, and a magazine article that said New Orleans was #2 for jobs. I couldnt believe it. I had to leave Louisiana nearly 15 years ago because there werent attractive positions.

Let me ask y'all this. Are their decent positions with the oil companies? How do they recruit their talent?

Old 06-13-2011, 10:12 AM

117 posts, read 257,657 times
I'm in the IT field... and when I finish school I'm moving far away from this place for a job. New Orleans sucks ass when it comes to IT jobs. As a college student I can hardly find anything in my field.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:56 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,947,089 times
Tulane was what sprang to mind when I saw the title of this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans