Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 10:36 PM

1,550 posts, read 3,008,963 times

Advertisements

When I went to college in Lafayette it was so amusing to me when people would come to spend a weekend at my parent's house. They would immediately make an agenda in their heads that would revolve solely around Bourbon Street and the like. After much convincing I'd take them to all the local joints Uptown or in Mid-City and all of a sudden they wanted to move to New Orleans not just drink themselves into an oblivion once a year there. Same goes for cultural things, I mean the beaten path has earned the city its name and is its main industry, but the local end of things make us who we really are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 02:49 PM

63 posts, read 165,290 times
i work on bourbon st so i have to deal with tourists way more than i would like. I used to be frustrated that tourists seemed to only think of new orleans as bourbon st and a few other select locations in the quarter, but over the past yr i have changed my mind. i kind of like the fact that they have their own little zoo so the rest of the city is safe from them.

i remember one time i met a friend of mine, who had some other tourists with him. the plan was for me to show him around the more local parts of town... however, we had 4 drunken screaming idiots with hand grenades in tow. it was embarrassing for me, and they ended up leaving early anyway because they were not happy that the rest of the city was not a smelly drunk crowd like it is on bourbon.

when i travel, i do an excellent job of getting to know a place. but most people don't, and i'm ok with that. i like the fact that most of the city is left for the locals and the few travelers who are smart and original enough to venture away from the quarter. if i had to deal with tourists everywhere, i really would go crazy.

Last edited by NomadicStripper; 05-27-2011 at 02:58 PM..

Old 05-27-2011, 03:32 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,305,387 times
I dont even drink so I really wish I could explore these parts of New Orleans but I seldom have the time.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:37 PM

63 posts, read 165,290 times
yea, new orleans is not a prime city for people who dont drink at all or people with addictive personalities who are susceptible to alcoholism.

i did have a friend who lived here for a yr who was completely straight edge and he managed to explore every area quite well. but he didnt seem to mind being around drunk people, probably due to the fact that he was pretty crazy and wild when sober. i suppose you could just order a glass of juice at the bar?

Old 05-27-2011, 05:39 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,148,210 times
It's easy to have fun without drinking in New Orleans, I could do it easily. But not many people know that. They come with a purpose to "GET FUUUKKEDD UP" and not explore. Plus everyone isn't city buffs like we are.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:39 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,305,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicStripper View Post
yea, new orleans is not a prime city for people who dont drink at all or people with addictive personalities who are susceptible to alcoholism.

i did have a friend who lived here for a yr who was completely straight edge and he managed to explore every area quite well. but he didnt seem to mind being around drunk people, probably due to the fact that he was pretty crazy and wild when sober. i suppose you could just order a glass of juice at the bar?
Yeah I'm like that. I act like I'm crazy all the time so I fit in with the drunks.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:13 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,309,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
Like for example; Instead of people looking at New Orleans like it's just a city that's just all about Jazz and Parades(Mardi Gras and 2nd Lines) why don't people, such as visitors, outside on New Orleans start looking everywhere else arond the city instead of just focusing on the central core areas of the city and see that New Orleans is a lot more than just Parades and music. Like go out to the East Of New Orleans and go uptown to Audobon Park plus go out to the lake at the LakeFront and look at different areas of the city and not just go to the city because of bars and parties and see that New Orleans is just like any city. You know what I mean?
I agree.... Explore the totality and in depthness of it all.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:24 AM

77 posts, read 158,298 times
the Audubon zoo is really cool! I was surprised.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:22 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,848,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullman1 View Post
the Audubon zoo is really cool! I was surprised.
Yep and double down on the WW2 museum, a great place.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:02 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,385,894 times
New Orleans, as a tourism based town, has to emphasize Bourbon Street and Mardi Gras. People can go to a zoo or a neighborhood bar in their own town. Be thankful the tourists are contained and don't bite the hand that feeds you :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans