Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 10:23 AM

152 posts, read 479,668 times

Advertisements

To keep it short I won't go into the details of my entire thought process, but out of curiosity I was thinking of things to sel in the french market and researching the application process. On the pdf the have available for jut that research, they have a list of items they don't allow new vendors to sell. What's odd to m is that everything on the list is exactly what vendors sell there. I realize they may feel there is already an abundant supply of vendors or the listed items but the list is extensive. I mean are they looking for original works of art? I mean they sell themselves as a flea market! Why would one make any attempt to sell original paintings or drawings or whatever in a flea market? Its mostly a tourist market anyways, who is going to buy smething like a sculpture and be forced to carry it around all day?

I think this city needs to get its head on straight and start seeing itself for what it is. If they want the french market to be advertised as a flea market then they shouldn't restrict what can be sold, if however they want a colorful variety of local and global oiginal art they souldnt sell that place as a flea market but rather an outdoor art gallery. Am I wrong to think they are alittle hypocritical?

Its kind of like these pawn shop shows that center around the purchasing and selling of rare antiques. You aren't a pawn shop if you are seective for rare and valuable atiques, you're an atique trader. A pawn shop takes people semi-valuable stuff, like guitars, tvs, and stereos, and holds them so they can pay rent when they are short for cash.

I mean I don't know of anyone who seriously sops at the french market for valuable collectable art, books, and clothing(excluding t-shirts, hats, gloves, belts, and socks. Those were on the list). I mean if I have the funds to acquire a stock of merchandise that isn't on the list, then I probably have the money to rent a real retail space. That or I shouldn't have dropped al that cash on inventory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 10:28 AM

http://www.frenchmarket.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Application-Process.pdf (broken link) that's a link to the app pdf

Maybe ill sell my couch there... that's not on the list.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:07 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
You should sell "good times."

Old 05-04-2011, 12:49 PM

Lol I think that would fall under one or more of 6 categories in the list as not allowed.
Explicit sexual material
Tour passes
Website solicitations
Drugs & paraphernalia
Surgical tools
Massages

Old 05-04-2011, 01:01 PM

Maybe ill sell pine needles. That's not on the list.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:25 AM

194 posts, read 544,979 times
I first visited here in 2008 and was SOOOO disappointed at the lack of local arts and crafts at the French Market, and the whole "flea market" feel. Since then I've seen more and more booths and tables of local artists, and the ones I've spoken to are pretty passionate about improving the market and encouraging more locally made items. I honestly think (and hope!) the time is coming where there will be a "flea market" section and a separate handmade section. All the visitors we've had since we've lived here have been disappointed that the FM was "mostly a crappy flea market".

I've seen the vendor application, too. It's strange that new vendors can't sell what they already allow booths and booths of already! I think the flea market section needs to be smaller, but there also needs to be more variety there. It could actually become a "good" flea market!

We've been here a year and have been vendors at the Freret Market, which is fun. We've talked seriously about doing the French Market a couple of times a month just to get some more handmade items out there. We'll probably drum up some more business (we make costumes and masks) but we mainly just want to help improve the "feel" of the market, and encourage other locals to come on board. I think it would be a benefit to the city if the market became more of a place to buy locally handmade items. You can get visual art (paintings, drawings, etc.) in Jackson Square, but handmade masks, jewelry, dolls, baskets, quilts, etc. are mighty hard to find in the Quarter. It's mostly imported cheap crap.

Edited to add: I just had an idea, OP. If I didn't already have my own handmade products and I wanted to sell at the French Market, I think I'd start a business selling locally made items. You could go to local craft markets (like the Freret Market and the Arts Market in Palmer Park) and find vendors of smaller, "portable" items with a distinct New Orleans "feel" that would interest tourists. Agree on a percentage with the seller, and take the items on consignment. You could sell this stuff in the French Market. I know I would be happy to have someone sell some of my masks like this. You wouldn't have to put up a bunch of money up front for inventory, and you could have a variety of unique items to sell! Just draw up a proper contract and don't take anything super fragile, and it should be pretty easy. I know there are some stores that do this sort of "art collective" thing, but it could work at the market, as well.

Last edited by thepointykitty; 05-05-2011 at 09:08 AM..

Old 05-05-2011, 11:59 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
The french Market used to be so much fun to go to on a weekend! Back in the late 80s it started to get the cheap imported stuff and soon that took over. I think thepointykitty has a great idea for someone to do!

Old 05-05-2011, 01:35 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
I was there last month and I bought a lot of stuff there. But what I noticed is that a lot of booths sell pretty much the same things. But I view it differently, I guess. There's all the touristy souvenir stuff for the mass in the market, but there's also art work all around the Jackson Park area.

Handmade baskets are a great idea! Where I live I know someone who makes these unique baskets for farmer's markets and, though not cheap, she sells a lot of them.

The enhanced food section is pretty cool.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:40 PM

194 posts, read 544,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post

The enhanced food section is pretty cool.
I really like the new food section!

Old 05-05-2011, 08:10 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
I saw some local art in 2009 or 2010 but I liked what I saw. It was packed with people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans