Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2011, 09:40 PM

3 posts, read 8,294 times

Advertisements

I have an investment property in Kenner that is a double (2,200 sf total) and was paying roughly $700 per year last year ($150,000 Dwelling | $1,000 deductable). Well, the renewal policy came in the mail the other day (same coverage) for $2,100 per year! When asked why the policy TRIPPLED, the agent said that supposedly the insurance commissioner approved the request from the company to increase rates because originally this company was priced too low and now they are priced more accurately. Even if this is true, how on earth would a trippled premium be approved regardless of the circumstances? For the record, I have never made any type of claim on my insurance EVER.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a plan of action here? Any suggestions on another company I could get quotes from besides Citizens? I did some searches and ASI came up as a possibility, but I cant find any contact information for Louisiana? Any other suggestions? Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 10:19 PM

310 posts, read 854,823 times
It depends on what zipcode you're in in Kenner. We are in the 70065 zipcode, had about 24 inches of water, and were only able to be free of Citizens in the last year. We are now with a company called Geo Vera but it only reduced our yearly by a few hundred. We'd been paying close to $3,000 and are around $2,300 now. This is a 1,700 SF, single occupancy dwelling valued at $185,000. ASI initially gave us a quote then went back on it, telling us they wouldn't insure us and they made a mistake even after we spent weeks going over quotes/specifics with them - beware.

I'd say you very well may have been priced too low even though it sucks. We were paying about $700 BEFORE the storm, so that seems really low post-storm. I have several friends in the 70062 zipcode who didn't see a drop of water and have to pay out the backside for Citizens - they STILL can't find anyone else to insure them.

I can't explain what happened to you exactly, but that's what's going on with us. Our neighbors are in similar situations such as ours.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:12 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
I honestly don't know anyone paying under $3,000. I have to agree with Pook77 and say that you probably were priced too low. In the post-K environment $2,000 is somewhat of a deal.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:47 PM

310 posts, read 854,823 times
Exactly. The friends I spoke of in the 70062 zipcode are actually paying several hundred more than us now, their homes didn't flood nor have damage claims, and are worth considerably less than ours. I don't know what rhyme or reason there is to the insurance madness, but don't expect to have a very straight answer other than how your area is mapped out.

I hate to say it, but someone paying $700 and the rest of us struggling on $3,000 payments (not including flood for many of us, mind you) makes me angry. Not your fault, it's the insurance company's fault, but I'd be especially angry for my friends who can barely afford it yet their homes never flooded.

FWIW, we were actually referred to Geo Vera by LA Citizens. They often know who's writing policies and we'd check with them monthly to find out, maybe you could still talk to them. Other companies pretty much laughed at us.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:50 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,274,703 times
Default Insurance costs

I live in Covington and pay $2,500 for a single family home. That's with a 5% deductible for wind!

Old 05-11-2011, 08:20 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,009,746 times
It's positively a rip off that we are paying so much on homeowners. Let's face it, I don't know anyone who got any more than $8k on their claim after Katrina, while flood paid out in full for their claims. Ohhh and don't get me started on those adjusters...

(I've got Geo Vera too, they were about $150 less than Citizens; pathetic.)

Old 05-11-2011, 07:32 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,860,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I honestly don't know anyone paying under $3,000. I have to agree with Pook77 and say that you probably were priced too low. In the post-K environment $2,000 is somewhat of a deal.
I know mine went to over $3,000's for basicaly the same policy and it's not a rental property

Old 05-29-2015, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,659 times
Default reduce your homeowner insurance premiums

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewsu View Post
I have an investment property in Kenner that is a double (2,200 sf total) and was paying roughly $700 per year last year ($150,000 Dwelling | $1,000 deductable). Well, the renewal policy came in the mail the other day (same coverage) for $2,100 per year! When asked why the policy TRIPPLED, the agent said that supposedly the insurance commissioner approved the request from the company to increase rates because originally this company was priced too low and now they are priced more accurately. Even if this is true, how on earth would a trippled premium be approved regardless of the circumstances? For the record, I have never made any type of claim on my insurance EVER.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a plan of action here? Any suggestions on another company I could get quotes from besides Citizens? I did some searches and ASI came up as a possibility, but I cant find any contact information for Louisiana? Any other suggestions? Thanks...
-
you can lower the cost of your existing homeowner insurance premiums with a wind mitigation survey. depending on the number of qualifying features, you can expect anywhere from 10%-30% annual savings. visit [url=http://www.avakconsulting.com]Home[/url] for more information or feel free to contact me at 504-617-0844 and I would be happy to help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans