U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 10:46 AM

194 posts, read 523,354 times

Advertisements

I've only been living here for a little over a year, and I'd like to know what natives and long-time residents think of the rising river situation and its possible impact on New Orleans itself. It looks to me like opening the spillways will take care of most of the danger, and I'm not seeing people panicking or talking about leaving. I know it's risky living in the middle of this much water, and it's a risk I have knowingly taken. I just want to be as informed as possible.

Also, I'm well aware of the recent flooding and destruction upriver, and the huge destructive impact of opening the spillways. My heart goes out to all the people affected by this huge natural force. I'm not trying to stir up any political discussions or rural vs. urban debates. I'm specifically addressing the potential impact on my city, especially since I'm new here.

Thanks ;-)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 11:15 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,191,505 times
Well, this will be the most water we have ever had come down the Mississippi, so there's not much to compare it to. If the river gets above 17ft at Carrollton, its really uncharted territory.

In the past, the spillway has been opened to keep it under 17ft and we've never had a problem, but now they're talking about 19.5ft. I'm worried that if they let if get that high, then there's going to be an issue somewhere.

They need to quit discussing this and open the spillways up to full capacity. If a river levee breaches in the city, it's game over. The Katrina breaches are nothing compared to a river flood. Katrina flooded up to 3ft above sea level and the breaches were plugged once the flow equalized. The river would be almost 20ft above sea level and a breach would be near impossible to repair while the river is that high due to the constant flow that could last for months.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:19 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,195,904 times
I'm concerned too (most people around me don't seem to care...which is irritating). If the river opened up a hole in a levee in New Orleans. There wouldn't be time to evacuate...you would be looking at an epic disaster. Odds are that won't happen...but the I don't give a damn attitude in the city is irritating.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:46 AM

310 posts, read 819,235 times
I'm a bit concerned and I'm afraid I'm being too laid back about it. Long time residents and those born and raised here haven't seen anything like it either which is what worries me most - it's something new. Our flooding in Katrina had nothing to do with the levee breach directly (pump failure/parish president's bad decision), but if the Morganza Spillway isn't opened and the Corps keeps tiptoeing around, the Kenner/Metairie area is going to be part of the areas under 20-25 feet. I don't like how they're sitting on only 72 out of 350 bays open on the Bonnet Carre.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:37 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,195,904 times
I found this photo via National Geographic...port of NO, 1903. Look how HIGH the river was

Old 05-11-2011, 02:59 PM

Wow - that pic is amazing!

I can't imagine that they wouldn't open Morganza. I read a couple of different articles and it looks like it will be opened in the next three to five days, although they haven't "officially" said they would. It seems like the only option...

Old 05-11-2011, 05:44 PM

24 posts, read 213,017 times
Not to scare anyone, but here's a "worst case scenario" map I found....

Old 05-11-2011, 07:00 PM

Yes, I saw that map too. It's supposed to illustrate what would happen if they don't open the Morganza spillway, which it seems like they have every intention of doing in the next few days. The news is all over the worst case scenario, though...of course... The map was for planning purposes only, from what I read, and not for the general public.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:03 PM

1,127 posts, read 4,826,058 times
Kitty it's just a wait and see situation. I think most of us are feeling a bit twitchy, while others are feeling down right nervous. To be honest, I've never seen the river this high so far ahead the crest and unlike Katrina, this isn't a one day event. So I'm nervous; once bitten twice shy and all that . The thing is we've got another week and a half before the crest gets here so what can you do, but wait and see? Well, you could figure out what you will take with you if you need to evacuate, (if you make a list, you can set it aside for hurricane season).

Now grab a friend head out to the neighborhood bar and have a beer. There is nothing you can do but take advantage of the fact that you are here, we are dry, (for now), and nothing has happened yet.

Oh look I'm in the 15-20ft zone! Pretty good compared to much of the area. (Excuse me y'all. I think it's the left over heavenly hash/sugar high talking tonight.)

Old 05-12-2011, 01:30 AM

8,709 posts, read 5,251,960 times
They're not trying to decide whether or not to open it.
There is a trigger; they will open it when:
Quote:
Lt. Col. Mark Jernigan said Wednesday that if the flow rate of the Mississippi River continues to climb as expected, it should reach the 1.5 million cubic feet per second rate at Red River Landing that the Corps has set as the level that would "trigger" opening the floodgates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans