Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2011, 04:05 PM
ptt ptt started this thread

497 posts, read 637,052 times

Advertisements

I am very new to this country and only visited new orleans once but we will be moving there in near future. We will be living in 70130 area. What concern me the most is school for my child who will be close to 5 by the time of moving.

So, I did some research, got 6 schools on my list.

1 Lusher Charter school
2 International school of louisiana
3 Benjamin Franklin Elementary
4 Audubon Charter school
5 Edward Hynes charter school
6 Mary Bethune Elementary

From what I have read ( please, correct me if I am wrong) only way to get in is wining school lottery or employee of Tulane (for Lusher) So, If my son didn't win the lotto so, the next option have to be private school?

Is there any good non base of religious school ? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 09:55 AM

4 posts, read 10,974 times
Also look at Morris Jeff Community School and the new Lycée Français de la Nouvelle Orléans. Lusher has a (very) small neighborhood district that it pulls students from, but otherwise all schools are lottery/application based.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:46 AM

27 posts, read 79,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptt View Post
I am very new to this country and only visited new orleans once but we will be moving there in near future. We will be living in 70130 area. What concern me the most is school for my child who will be close to 5 by the time of moving.

So, I did some research, got 6 schools on my list.

1 Lusher Charter school
2 International school of louisiana
3 Benjamin Franklin Elementary
4 Audubon Charter school
5 Edward Hynes charter school
6 Mary Bethune Elementary

From what I have read ( please, correct me if I am wrong) only way to get in is wining school lottery or employee of Tulane (for Lusher) So, If my son didn't win the lotto so, the next option have to be private school?

Is there any good non base of religious school ? Thank you.
Also, I don't know if this is an issue, but Bethune and the Baby Ben (both of which are fantastic schools, and do exceptionally well on standardized tests) are overwhelmingly black (97% and 94%, respectively). If you're not black this might be an issue, as you will likely feel like a complete outsider.

My sister is moving to the area soon, and private school isn't an option, so she's looking in Jefferson Parish. Unfortunately, she's moving there too late to get into any of the 'Academies for Advanced Studies' (which are easily among the best schools in the state), so, she's looking at a group of slightly-above-average JP neighborhood schools (Matas, Harahan, JC Ellis,
Greenlawn Park), until she can get her child into one of the AAS schools.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:51 AM

thank you for your advices. no, we are not black but eurasian.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:51 PM

I would like to updating our situation. After sending applications to lusher, international school of Louisiana , Audubon charter. We flew to NOLA for lusher exam and the parent meeting. We still waiting for the result from lusher and we got a spot at ISL for French program.

My advice to parents out there is do a lot of research. Charter schools in NO start the admission process in the fall to January. We are applied to four diffrent schools 3 are lottery system and another you will have to pass entrance exam. My child passed the exam now waiting for the final result.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:30 AM
tbb

1 posts, read 3,858 times
Default Update?

Hi,
Could you provide an update? Where did your child end up going to school this Fall? Are you happy with the school? We live in Washington, DC and are considering a move to New Orleans, but are very concerned about the schools.

Thanks!

TBB

Old 09-17-2012, 08:36 AM

Hi TBB,

My son lucky enough to get a seat in international school of Louisiana ( french). As for lusher charter school he scored 28/30 placed him into lottery system which he didnt get it as well as the rest of schools on the list.

My husband Make a deal with his office that we willing to move if we get a place in a school of our choice. After a long discussion we decided to stay in Houston.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:06 AM

13 posts, read 31,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbb View Post
Hi,
Could you provide an update? Where did your child end up going to school this Fall? Are you happy with the school? We live in Washington, DC and are considering a move to New Orleans, but are very concerned about the schools.

Thanks!

TBB
if you can, move into lusher school district.. being a tulane employee is not a guarantee to be accepted here anymore.. however, the school talks about eliminating the in district enrollment altogether... definitely do your research... i highly recommend lusher over other schools in the area, even private...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans