U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2011, 08:27 PM

113 posts, read 410,998 times

Advertisements

i'm about to start a job that starts around 2pm and gets off at 10 pm every week day. it's near baronne at union. i hear it's not the best place to walk around at night. what do you think would be the safest way to get home to the garden district, without having to walk through anywhere sketchy? the streetcar stops near there but i know how unreliable it is at night. i could lease a parking spot but a garage close to that address costs $165/month, and i'm betting the others have similar rates. there's the bus at magazine/canal but i'd have to walk a bit to get there, and i was told it isn't a good idea. i could also pay for a taxi every night and burn a hole in my wallet. there are a number of hotels around but i probably can't sneak into their lots. the best option would be to find a long term (4+ hours) metered parking space and keep my car close by, but i'm not sure if there is any or if street parking is crazy/impossible there during the day. hmm, any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 10:48 PM

194 posts, read 495,083 times
It may not be the best place, but it's far from the worst place, and ten o'clock isn't that late, really. The area is what most cities would call "downtown", and you should certainly be careful, of course. Will there be other people leaving at the same time? Maybe you could come to an arrangement and park near each other and walk out together, or wait on the streetcar together. Having worked in a similar area in downtown Atlanta, that's probably what I would do in your situation.

You could also get a cab for the first couple of weeks until you got more comfortable and familiar with the area.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:37 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,000,176 times
That's a pretty safe area. You need to be a little more vigilent closer to Canal St., but the CBD is safer than Canal St and the Quarter. I'm on the Canal streetcar pretty often at all hours of the night and have never felt uncomfortable.

Don't waste your money on a taxi to commute. Don't waste your money on downtown parking. Do buy a unlimited RTA pass for $55/month. Keep the car in the driveway during the week.

The St. Charles streetcar runs every 30mins late at night. It tends to be more reliable late at night since there are less tourists riding Uptown to sightsee.

The Magazine street bus can get you back to the Garden District quicker than the streetcar, but it only runs every hour late at night and you would have to walk a little further to get to it (~1/4 mi).

Depending on exactly where you're located within the Garden Dist, I would take the Magazine bus to work since it's more frequent during the day, and ride back home on the Streetcar since it's closer to the office for that late night walk to get on it. Buses have A/C, and the St. Charles Streetcar does not.

Last edited by rburnett; 05-16-2011 at 09:54 AM..

Old 05-16-2011, 11:25 AM

thanks so much for the info! i'm glad this area is safer than i thought. i know the garden district pretty well but am clueless when it comes to downtown. i have to start work less than a week after i arrive in the city, so i greatly appreciate your help.

i think there will probably be a group of us leaving, so that would be nice.

taking the streetcar home sounds like it will be my best bet, then. my last question is, do you know which stop on the st. charles line is closest to my work? i've only taken the streetcar up that way once or twice and really can't remember.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:14 PM

1,087 posts, read 2,000,176 times
There is a stop on Union and St. Charles (that's all of 2 blocks from Baronne), and another one at Poydras and St. Charles.

Remember, once it gets to the CBD, the streetcar is on Caronelet going towards Canal St. and it turns around onto St. Charles to go back Uptown.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:29 PM

ahh, that is perfect then. thank you so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans