Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 02:16 PM

93 posts, read 363,399 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am beginnnig my summer travels and I am interested in New Orleans. I have heard 2 very different views of New Orleans and I am not sure which is more accurate.

I heard new Orleans was kind of dirty, with alot of "Larry the Cable guy" type of partiers who are peeing on everything. THEN I heard that there are upscale options for nightlife in N.O, that it is not all beer and fried food.

Do you think there upscale nightlife options, very nice nightclubs? Would you call N.O a trendy city at all? Is there as much to do there as there is in Atlanta or Dallas?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 03:00 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,165 times
In New Orleans, there's Bourbon St., and then everything else. What goes on along Bourbon St. is only a small part of the nightlife down here as any local can attest to. I think Larry would be at home in some parts of the French Quarter, but would feel very uncomfortable Uptown or down in the Marigny.

Ampersand, Republic and maybe the Metropolitan would best fit your description of an upscale nightclub with dress codes, dance floors, and DJs. There are also a lot of other upscale bars in the Uptown area and the Warehouse Dist. However, most of the nightlife here is more laid back than other cities and it leans toward live music (this is not the Jersey Shore). On any given night, you could have 100+ bands playing at venues around the city.

I wouldn't say NOLA is a trend setting city, it has a feel and culture all it's own. There's probably as much to do here as there is in Atlanta or Dallas even though the city is a fraction of the size.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:05 PM

194 posts, read 545,048 times
I don't know about "upscale" personally. I think there are some places like that in the Central Business/Warehouse District, where (I've been told) there's a bit of a NYC vibe. I will tell you my impressions after having lived here for a year and visiting several times before moving here. The "puking, peeing-on-the-street" partiers are mostly concentrated within a few blocks on and around Bourbon Street. You'll know the area when you see it. Those people are almost all tourists, from what I've seen and been told by long-time residents. It's not hard to avoid that area. Don't avoid the whole French Quarter, though, because it really is amazing!

There is a wide variety of food here; a lot more ethnic food than most people realize, including some great Thai restaurants (I would call them "very nice"). Check out Magazine Street and Prytania (Uptown and Garden District), as well as the Central Business District and the Warehouse District.

There are probably not as many "upscale" places as you might find in some other cities. New Orleans is a very laid-back city, for the most part, and some of the most famous restaurants are extremely casual. I think you will find the type of place you're looking for here, but it will be mixed with some of New Orleans' undefinable awesomeness ;-) It's not all crazy partying tourists. This city is an amazing place and I strongly recommend a visit!

(Edited to add: Great minds think alike, rburnett - we posted at the same time ;-)

Last edited by thepointykitty; 05-16-2011 at 03:17 PM..

Old 05-16-2011, 03:11 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,033,621 times
Just stay off Bourbon and you'll find it all pretty classy.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:26 PM

121 posts, read 248,531 times
You can find anything you want in New Orleans. New Orleans' nightlife is more unique than Dallas or Atlanta. (I've lived in Atlanta for the past 13 years). The live music scene is what sets New Orleans apart; most places have no cover charge. Unlike any "upscale" club/bar in Atlanta, you will be hard pressed to find a $9 Heineken. Drinks are waaaayyyy cheaper in New Orleans and you can get your drink to go.

Leave your little black dress and 18" stilettos at home. Put on your dancing shoes and enjoy New Orleans.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:42 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,031 times
I prefer some more upscale nightlife myself. More modern nightlife would include: Ampersand, LePhare, Metropolitan, Whiskey Blue at the W.
Traditional cocktail bars that are upscale: French 75, Sazerac Bar at the Roosevelt, Cure on Freret, etc.

I have to say I'm not a fan of the dive bar myself...but I find good nightlife here.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:16 AM

640 posts, read 1,225,843 times
New Orleans nightlife is definitely not ghetto (Larry the Cable Guy), save for a couple blocks of Bourbon Street. As for upscale bars, the typical upscale clubs can be found in the CBD, such as the ones prytania mentioned. However, I think New Orleans nightlife has a certain feel of its own, unlike any other city. It's very hard to describe to someone who hasn't experienced it, but there is something amazing about walking through the French Quarter to Frenchmen Street and walking past the live music clubs until you are beckoned into one by the amazing music and vibe spewing out onto the street. This street itself, btw, can be very avant-garde (i've heard trendy electronic music here on several occasions on this street). Or going to a nice dinner at a trendy restaurant and then getting drinks at either a long-standing local watering hole or a brand new wine bar (did this with dinner at vincent's and then drinks at Oak and later Maple Leaf once..very fun).
I can't really explain it but New Orleans has its own "upscale" that is not like the other upscale "clubs" in the rest of the country. In New Orleans, grungy is chic.

You asked if there is as much to do than in Atlanta or Dallas. Well, YES, definitely. If you are choosing between those cities and New Orleans, PLEASE choose NOLA. You will be glad you did. I know many people who go to Atlanta or Dallas expecting some amazing nightlife because they are such big cities, but they just do not have that bustling "city" night life that you would expect. New Orleans has that.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:59 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
New Orleans nightlife is definitely not ghetto (Larry the Cable Guy), save for a couple blocks of Bourbon Street. As for upscale bars, the typical upscale clubs can be found in the CBD, such as the ones prytania mentioned. However, I think New Orleans nightlife has a certain feel of its own, unlike any other city. It's very hard to describe to someone who hasn't experienced it, but there is something amazing about walking through the French Quarter to Frenchmen Street and walking past the live music clubs until you are beckoned into one by the amazing music and vibe spewing out onto the street. This street itself, btw, can be very avant-garde (i've heard trendy electronic music here on several occasions on this street). Or going to a nice dinner at a trendy restaurant and then getting drinks at either a long-standing local watering hole or a brand new wine bar (did this with dinner at vincent's and then drinks at Oak and later Maple Leaf once..very fun).
I can't really explain it but New Orleans has its own "upscale" that is not like the other upscale "clubs" in the rest of the country. In New Orleans, grungy is chic.

You asked if there is as much to do than in Atlanta or Dallas. Well, YES, definitely. If you are choosing between those cities and New Orleans, PLEASE choose NOLA. You will be glad you did. I know many people who go to Atlanta or Dallas expecting some amazing nightlife because they are such big cities, but they just do not have that bustling "city" night life that you would expect. New Orleans has that.
I completely agree. Especially about the other cities, they're nightlife just can't compare. Too bad some people can't appreciate it, they look at the city rather than "see" it. If that made any sense.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:54 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Although I don't live in New Orleans, I've vacationed there a lot. Last month we went to Tipitina's (definitely no ghetto but could be considered a 'hole' by some people), Chickie Wah-Wah's (small and casual), BMC (casual nightclub on a corner with a tiny second stage tucked into the back), Snug Harbor (intimate and not fancy), and ~ our favorite ~ Mid-City Rock 'n' Bowl (yes, it's a bowling alley with a great variety of good local bands).

Missed Sweet Lorraine's, which I undestand is not located in the safest of places. But it's supposed to have some classy jazz bands and I hope to check it out next time.

Missed Maple Leaf this time but have gone there before.

Bourbon, I think, is a bit under-rated. At night it's sleezy and smells like dead ass, but there are different kinds of music there (and in various clubs in the Quarter), and some are pretty good. We like Big Al Carson ~ can't help it. And, of course, Irvin Mayfield's club at the Sonesta books some classy bands.

There's an atmosphere for everyone.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:19 AM

93 posts, read 363,399 times
Wow, you guys have been amazing! Thanks so much for the real answers! I def have to add N.O. to the list! Enough people confirmed I would not necessarily get puked on or meet only guys with guts who will burp on me! Thanks so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans