Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2011, 12:30 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,072,239 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I've been reading this forum and getting some great advice.

My question is shoes. Is New Orleans like Charleston in that the sidewalks are brick, cobblestone, slate, and everything but flat smooth concrete? I'm a heel wearing girl but don't want to kill myself getting launched off a sidewalk because it caught my heel.

And no, I don't wear sneakers outside the gym.

Also, I'm a runner. Any good running routes or any to avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 01:13 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,335,804 times
Very little cobblestone here. The problem here, though, is the big live oak trees push up the the sidewalks and streets and make them very uneven. A wedge heel might be a better bet.

So, do you do your running in heels as well, since you're not in a gym?

As far as good routes, that really depends on where you're staying.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
Very little cobblestone here. The problem here, though, is the big live oak trees push up the the sidewalks and streets and make them very uneven. A wedge heel might be a better bet.

So, do you do your running in heels as well, since you're not in a gym?

As far as good routes, that really depends on where you're staying.
Hahaha! Running in heels!

I am staying at the W New Orleans on Poydras. I'm actually running the Greek Festival 5K next Friday night. Any information on that?

Old 05-20-2011, 08:12 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,335,804 times
Greek Fest is a nice event, I really like all the different food they have. It's out by the lakefront suburbs and the 5K is run along Bayou St. John next to City Park.

If you're a runner and you're staying in the city, I would definately reccomend running on St. Charles Ave. at least once. It's quite an experience and only a short streetcar ride/drive from where you're staying. St. Charles is the place that locals run in the Uptown area, so you'll see a lot of other people. It's very shady, and you'll be passing through the nicest neighborhoods in the city. The street has a very wide median and you run in the grass along the streetcar tracks. The grass is short and the ground is level. Just be sure to run on the opposite side so you can see if a streetcar is coming! Anywhere from Jackson Ave. up to Carrollton Ave. should be fine, that's about a 4mi stretch.

If you're not comfortable with that idea, City Park has a lot of paths on the south end of the park(closer to downtown) that are nice and shady. Audubon Park has a very wide 2mi asphalt path that runs around the perimiter. There's also the Mississippi River path that's 22mi long and runs from Audubon Park out to the town of Destrehan. You'll need to catch a streetcar or drive to get to any of these. They're all <5mi from your hotel.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:27 PM

Thanks for the tips! Only got to run the NOTC Greek Festival 5K and it was oustanding even if they ran out of water at the end! Amazingly beautiful out and back course with Bayou St. John on one side and City Park on the other. Race didn't start until 7:30 PM and being twilight, it was gorgeous!

Greek Festival was a lot of fun and the food was some of the best I've ever had!

As far as shoes went, wore my Louboutin espadrills the first day and went to flats the rest of the time.

Beautiful city.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:22 AM

129 posts, read 361,328 times
I thought you were going to tell me you know where I got my shoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans