U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 08:11 AM

2 posts, read 5,090 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating from New England to the New Orleans area in a few months and are looking for a good, safe neighborhood for our young family. I have noticed a lot of beautiful and affordable houses for sale in LaPlace, but it almost seems too good to be true. Am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 10:28 AM

67 posts, read 156,638 times
I would not buy a house in Sugar Ridge, New Era or in Cambridge. Belle Terre is a better area.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:02 PM

19,866 posts, read 58,708,101 times
Aside from the long drive into town? and the closeness to the chemical refineries on the river? nothing much else wrong.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:58 PM

2,192 posts, read 6,437,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBJH View Post
We will be relocating from New England to the New Orleans area in a few months and are looking for a good, safe neighborhood for our young family. I have noticed a lot of beautiful and affordable houses for sale in LaPlace, but it almost seems too good to be true. Am I missing something?
Be very careful where you purchase in La Place. A lot of crime and the schools are not that good. You would do much better finding a place in St. Charles Parish.

busta

Old 05-30-2011, 07:28 PM

1,756 posts, read 3,325,225 times
Welcome to New Orleans. In today's housing market you will have a good selection of homes for sale, from which to choose. So what's the rush? Perhaps you might rent for a year while you become familiar with the area. At least, that is what I would suggest.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:38 AM

67 posts, read 156,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
Welcome to New Orleans. In today's housing market you will have a good selection of homes for sale, from which to choose. So what's the rush? Perhaps you might rent for a year while you become familiar with the area. At least, that is what I would suggest.
Great idea!

Old 06-05-2011, 10:34 PM

23 posts, read 57,204 times
Default dont be a fool...check out the schools!

The schools tell the tale here.. St.Charles is much nicer with almost no crime. There are nice area's in Laplace but you will most likely not like the generally mostly run down neighborhoods in Laplace. Also, St. Charles has the 2nd best schools in the state.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:22 AM

2 posts, read 5,090 times
Thanks, we have started looking at rentals in Covingt

Old 06-09-2011, 11:10 PM

423 posts, read 1,125,682 times
Oh come on, LaPlace isn't that bad. 75% of LaPlace is the mega-subdivision Belle Terre, which runs from solid middle class to quite ritzy in some parts. I'd say Belle Terre is generally pretty nice, and there are other nice areas too--just a bit more scattered. Other parts of St. John the Baptist Parish may not be so great--Garyville in particular comes to mind. Reserve is okay.

However, the public schools are nothing great in LaPlace, as others have mentioned--most people with money send their brood to the Catholic schools in the area, which are above average even by the standards of SE Louisiana. The drive is also farther to New Orleans, and proximity to Norco could result in some smelly days (though Norco is actually in St. Charles Parish, if I recall correctly).

Old 06-16-2011, 12:06 AM

11 posts, read 26,594 times
I have noticed that people are obsessed with private schools around here(like 15% according to a local newspaper) and some million $$$ homes were built in worst performance school area, like it's not a matter at all.

we are new comer too and school rating (I use greatschools.org)seems to be the index for us to choose area. we live in east slidell where all school ratings are 9~10/10 in the state of LA but lots of families in the neighborhood are still sending their kids to private schools K~12.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans