Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2011, 10:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,551 times

Advertisements

Hi All, I am moving from Denver, Colorado to New Orleans and a good friend who is from Louisiana has cautioned me that I am entering into a completely foreign culture. She said crime and social cliques will be my biggest adjustments.

I'll be moving with my teenagers, one is in high school and the other will be a college freshman. I'll be working near City Hall. We currently live in a cool, walkable, safe, older neighborhood with tree lined streets, front porches, and nice diversity of people of various races, ages, singles and families...mostly mid to upper income professionals, some students and retirees. The neighbors are friendly and sociable, which is fantastic for my kids because they are used to being around people of different backgrounds. In our area we can walk to shops, restaurant, a large grocery store, several parks, and public transportation is excellent.

Is it too much to ask to find a neighborhood like this in New Orleans? Also, we are a black/mixed family, but have never lived in a predominately black environment, so I've been told that my kids may have some growing pains because they may not fit in with either blacks or whites. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 11:29 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,751 times
You can definately find that in New Orleans, if stay away from the burbs. A south Louisiana suburb will probably be a more foreign culture to you coming from Denver. They're very conservative and segregated. The locals have been there a long time and have had the same social circles since elementry school. The city core however, is much more liberal and welcoming of transplants.

A few good places would be the Carrollton/Riverbend area, Uptown along Magazine St. between Jefferson Ave. and Louisiana Ave., the Lower Garden District near Colesium Square, Mid-City between Jeff Davis Pkwy. and City Park Ave., the Irish Channel close to Magazine St., and along Esplanade between Broad St. and Bayou St. John.

All of these areas are quite walkable, shady and will most likely have a diverse group of residents. I also tried to list them in order of safety from very safe to kinda safe.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:46 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
You would like Uptown, the Garden District would suit you well as well but not as many transplants. New Orleanians are used to people from different cities and countries so you'll fit in. Where is he going to college?

Old 06-03-2011, 04:56 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,458 times
I live Uptown myself near Xavier Prep. near Magazine Street.

While I don't consider it absolutely safe (I feel safe enough and its a nice area full of blacks/whites/young and the old alike). The city is different since Katrina in that its much more welcoming to transplants...

When in Rome... and you'll do great!

Old 06-04-2011, 04:26 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,052,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlysane View Post
Hi All, I am moving from Denver, Colorado to New Orleans and a good friend who is from Louisiana has cautioned me that I am entering into a completely foreign culture. She said crime and social cliques will be my biggest adjustments.

I'll be moving with my teenagers, one is in high school and the other will be a college freshman. I'll be working near City Hall. We currently live in a cool, walkable, safe, older neighborhood with tree lined streets, front porches, and nice diversity of people of various races, ages, singles and families...mostly mid to upper income professionals, some students and retirees. The neighbors are friendly and sociable, which is fantastic for my kids because they are used to being around people of different backgrounds. In our area we can walk to shops, restaurant, a large grocery store, several parks, and public transportation is excellent.

Is it too much to ask to find a neighborhood like this in New Orleans? Also, we are a black/mixed family, but have never lived in a predominately black environment, so I've been told that my kids may have some growing pains because they may not fit in with either blacks or whites. What do you guys think?

You should be able to find a place up town that should suite your needs. Your kids should fit in just fine. People here don't care much about your race but more how you treat them.

And yes you will have a culture shock. But you will find that it will be a good one where people welcome you with open arms.

Let me be the first to welcome you and your family to our and your new city/home. I hope that it is every thing you expect and more. New Orleans has so much to do every weekend and so much to offer that I think you will just love being here.

busta

Old 06-05-2011, 08:04 AM

194 posts, read 545,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
People here don't care much about your race but more how you treat them.

And yes you will have a culture shock. But you will find that it will be a good one where people welcome you with open arms.

Let me be the first to welcome you and your family to our and your new city/home. I hope that it is every thing you expect and more. New Orleans has so much to do every weekend and so much to offer that I think you will just love being here.

busta
We've been here for fourteen months now and this has overwhelmingly been our experience. We came from Atlanta, which we also consider a very friendly city (the city itself, not the vast suburbs), but New Orleans is even more so. I've had so many impromptu conversations with strangers here. We felt welcome from Day 1. Ahhh, there's no place like home!

Old 06-05-2011, 08:38 PM

406 posts, read 625,354 times
You can find a couple neighborhoods Uptown on the west side of Claiborne Ave. and preferably close to Magazine street.

You could also find similar neighborhoods by Carrollton Ave and St. Charles Ave. A lot of shops along Oak Street and a major grocery store at the corner of Claiborne and Carrollton.

I would also look along the Canal Street car line in the Mid City area. try and find a place close to Carrollton Ave. and you will find a decent amount of shops and restaurants. There is also a major grocery store near Bienville and Carrollton Ave.

One more neighborhood to keep in mind is located along the Bayou and some people consider it Mid City. It within walking distance of some shops and depending on what area you live in you could easily walk to City Park. Bayou St. John is the only neighborhood that's not close to a street car line.

The amount you would like to spend on rent/purchase will be the major deciding factor for what neighborhood will work for you.

Hope this helps. Make sure you let us know what neighborhood you choose because it will help future re locater.

Welcome to the Big Easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans