Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2011, 07:41 AM

16,505 posts, read 26,171,363 times

Advertisements

New Orleans is doing many of the things you listed. That is my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 10:49 AM

65 posts, read 153,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
New Orleans is doing many of the things you listed. That is my point.
Oh, could you give me specifics? Links?

Old 07-22-2011, 10:57 AM

37 posts, read 75,054 times
It's very easy to write about the potential of New Orleans; people have been doing it for years. The problem, regardless of the potential, is that corruption, incompetence, and crappy education levels have stymied any honest attempts to improve the city. That said, it is probably its failure to grow properly that has preserved its charm. The one bright spot on the horizon is the plan to re-route I-10 from the downtown area. Unlikely, but it would transform the city.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doowapp View Post
Oh, could you give me specifics? Links?
South Market District, New Orleans, LA

The Redevelopment of 1031 Canal St. - old Woolworth's Building

PGAL: New Orleans Promenade Mixed Use Center

Proposed Streetcar running primarily on Elysian Fields from the FQ loop to UNO/Lakefront.

Demolition of the Claiborne I-10 bridge.

Just to name a few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charvelle View Post
It's very easy to write about the potential of New Orleans; people have been doing it for years. The problem, regardless of the potential, is that corruption, incompetence, and crappy education levels have stymied any honest attempts to improve the city. That said, it is probably its failure to grow properly that has preserved its charm. The one bright spot on the horizon is the plan to re-route I-10 from the downtown area. Unlikely, but it would transform the city.
From what I heard it is very likely. It acts as a dangerous buffer zone for the CBD/Mid-City and its been getting buzz on another forum. I'd like to see it gone.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:09 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,454,879 times
New Orleans has been seeing tons of development in the last few years and the attitudes are starting to change as people seem to be breaking away from being content and demanding accountabilty. Of course corruption will always be around just as anywhere, and it being bigger on the state level doesn't help, but the city is definitely going in the opposite direction of where it was headed 10 years ago. Tulane Ave redevelopment, Canal St redevelopment, VA, the LCRC, BioInnovation, the new MCLNO/LSUHSC, Central City is starting to gentrify o_0, I mean a lot is changing in these parts.

As far as I-10 coming down. I'll believe it when I see it. It's funny to me how all of these developers are pushing this idea and how certain people in city govt. want to spend city money to do it or have it studied when the city doesn't have any right to the expressway what so ever. That's state and federal property. LaDOTD and the FHWA haven't made a sound about this. I'm willing to bet that it'll be replaced with a new expressway like the Pontchartrain Expwy or Westbank Expwy before its removed altogether. People don't realize that tearing it down would be more expensive and do more damage in the long run than leaving it there.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:53 PM

I know of the expenses, WestbankNOLA, but what are the damaging long term effects of tearing down the Claiborne bridge?

Old 08-26-2011, 12:42 PM

72 posts, read 110,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
I've been wondering if New Orleans can become bigger than Atlanta and Houston or maybe Los Angeles if the city can grow larger in a few years by adding more business buidlings and such. Just wondering.
I dont think New Orleans will ever become any bigger than it already is. That means assimilating alot of out of towner whites and alot more illegal immigrants. I wouldnt wish such things. Next thing you know New Orleans is little mexico.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:56 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,931,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanisBop22 View Post
I dont think New Orleans will ever become any bigger than it already is. That means assimilating alot of out of towner whites and alot more illegal immigrants. I wouldnt wish such things. Next thing you know New Orleans is little mexico.
Hate to be the one to break it to you, but that's already happening. We were at 484 before the storm, now at 343... do you really think all those people were evacuees who returned?

Old 08-27-2011, 02:17 PM

72 posts, read 110,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Hate to be the one to break it to you, but that's already happening. We were at 484 before the storm, now at 343... do you really think all those people were evacuees who returned?
Trust me i already see the difference.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:52 PM

72,847 posts, read 62,291,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
You wouldn't be the first person, native or otherwise, to fall in love with the potential of New Orleans.

We have an extremely sophisticated system of levees; the difference is that Amsterdam was built to hold out sea flooding and while it's true (obviously) that New Orleans has to have protection from the sea/lake/river, we also have such a wet climate that we need the canals just to pump out in a rainstorm. (Nobody lives on our canals the way they do in Amsterdam, also, many are completely submerged.... Think absolutely gigantic drainage pipes). I'd say that in the United States, New Orleans would definitely be the city most similar to Amsterdam, then again, we are often (and accurately, in my opinion) described as the most European of the American cities.
Amsterdam has a wet climate too. And Amsterdam also got hit by a major storm as did New Orleans. I still see potential. To me the canals could still be used as part of the city life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans