Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 12:51 PM

5 posts, read 23,884 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all,

I'd love to have some ideas and tips on rental costs in New Orleans. I am relocating to NOLA on a teaching assignment for 1 year. I've been to New Orleans before, but I can't say I was there to look at properties. I was being the obnoxious tourist in the French Quarter drunk out of my head.

I am preparing to spend about a week down there looking around a properties. I know there's an element of salesmenship going on, and people are gonna promise me the moon. So I thought I'd ask what the general rent brackets are for various areas, and which areas are "good values" or not? New Orleans seems to be a very kaleidoscope-like city, no two blocks are the same in terms of noise, crime, or rental cost?

I have a maximum budget of $1,300 a month for rent. I'd prefer something closer to $1,000. I'd prefer to live alone, but $1,300 is about as far as I can go, and the stuff on Craigslist looks sketchy. Would I need to consider moving out to a suburban area?

I really appreciate any advice you can give me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 01:27 PM

113 posts, read 448,737 times
you will have no problem getting a place on that kind of budget. there are many private 1 bedrooms in the garden district and uptown that are around $700-$800 with some or all utilities included. i myself live in a $625/month apartment with all utilities included except electric and internet, and i'm in a really nice area. your utilities are gonna vary depending on your place and your preferences. most people here have cox for cable/internet- i just bought their "internet preferred" option and it's $50/month. trust your gut about craigslist and only pursue the listings that don't look fishy. there are a lot of genuine ads on there, though- it's where i found both places that i've had here. you ought to also check out padmapper.com

mid-city seems to have even better deals for apartments and it's a great place to live. you're right that an area can take a 180 from one block to the next, so i highly suggest you ask here about specific blocks, and go on the nopd's web site, where you can type in an address and see what the crime stats are. generally, for uptown/the garden district, you'll want to stay within the borders of magazine and st. charles avenue. there are exceptions, so don't completely rule out a place if it's a block or two above st. charles, but definitely ask about it. i'm not sure about the general borders one should stick to in other areas of town.

you probably don't want to look at any kind of big apartment/condo complexes because those tend to be much more expensive. you get perks like better parking, a private gym, etc. but the extra cost might not be worth it. IMO you'd have more privacy just getting an apartment in a house somewhere. i wouldn't even consider looking at places in the french quarter or the CBD (downtown) because places there are extremely expensive.

as for any other neighborhoods/areas, you'd have to ask other posters because i don't know enough about them.

can you tell us more about what you want out of an apartment/the area you're living in? do you mind being around college students? do you want to be able to walk to a bunch of cafes and restaurants and such? etc.

best of luck to you!

Old 06-07-2011, 01:51 PM

63 posts, read 165,166 times
finding a spot for under 1k is pretty easy, unless you want to be spoiled and live at the top floor of a high rise or a very specific neigborhood.

what part of town do you plan on teaching in? you are probably going to want to stay in the same general area as your work.

i've had good luck on craigslist before, you just need to be attentive and selective. also, padmapper.com is pretty boss.

and i would avoid the suburbs. unless you have a family or hate culture, there is absolutely no reason to live there. if you are going to live in new orleans you should live within city limits to experience it properly.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:59 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,327,895 times
Yes, it would be helpful to know where you will be teaching. There are lots of interesting areas in that price range.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:12 PM

Wow. Super helpful. Thank you all so much!

I will be working at Tulane. I've spent the past 10 years living in college-y neighborhoods while finishing my grad school marathon, so I'm totally fine with a young crowd. But my last place I lived in was literally a resort for 18 year old frat boy rednecks, so I'd like something a bit more... I dunno... hip?

I love having lots of cafes and little dives within walking distance!

Old 06-07-2011, 02:18 PM

Oh, and I do have a car, but I like to walk or ride my bike to most places. Is the public transportation good in New Orleans, and is it a bike-friendly city?

Old 06-07-2011, 02:24 PM

63 posts, read 165,166 times
uptown is pretty safe and ranges from college-y to slightly yuppie. I used to live across from audobon on magazine, which was pretty close to tulane and also close to a lot of resturaunts, grocery shopping (whole foods), coffee shops (pjs and cc) and a few bars. it was far enough away from the frat houses that the college students were not wandering **** drunk on my street. personally, it was a bad fit for me since i am very nocturnal and uptown shuts down relatively early save a few hole in the wall bars, but if you are a day person who doesnt want college students to be right in your back yard it would be a good fit.

in regards to transport: i am selling my car since i have not driven in months... i bike everywhere. NOLA is very flat and compact. however, when biking do be prepared to hit more potholes than you have ever seen and do be prepared for the cars to not really care if you become roadkill. uptown you also have the streetcar on st charles which runs 24 hours. it runs at snail pace but is functional. i have ridden the bus that goes up and down magazine a couple of times too with no issue, but i have heard a lot of other reports that the bus system here is a disaster.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:42 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,327,895 times
Ha! I don't think you'll have to worry too much about "rednecks" hanging around Tulane!

However, most of the rowdy frat guys are on Broadway right next to campus. As long as you stay away from that, you should be okay.

Look at the Carrollton/Riverbend area. This is where Carrollton Ave. and St. Charles Ave. meet. Try to find a place close to this intersection. This neighborhood is very dense with stores, bars and restaurants. Oak St. and Maple St. have a lot of commerce as well as Carrollton Ave. You'll be an easy walk or bike ride (<1mi) to campus and the streetcar can get you downtown in 30min. I think you'll like this area a lot.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:25 PM

113 posts, read 448,737 times
i second the riverbend suggestion! it's such a lovely area.

you'll probably enjoy anywhere around the magazine st/st. charles avenue area i mentioned. if you live somewhere around those two streets, then you are just a short walk away from both. it's why i love uptown so much- you get to live amongst gorgeous mansions that feel quiet and private during the day, yet you're in walking distance from two of the coolest streets in the neighborhood.

the streetcar comes very regularly during the day, less so at night. tons of people walk and ride their bikes here, just be careful because the roads and sidewalks are very torn up and sometimes drivers are reckless. some people run/walk and ride their bikes on the neutral ground (where the streetcars run) to avoid that.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:44 PM

I appreciate all of the suggestions. I'm really excited about my trip down to look for a place. Can't wait to get down there and get settled!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans