U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 10:57 AM

4 posts, read 14,605 times

Advertisements

Anyone familiar with living in this neighborhood?

My husband and I are moving here from Chicago this summer. We live in a neighborhood that is very eclectic. I love it. I can walk and bike to EVERYTHING. It's a passionate place with a mix of old poor hippies, poor black families, upper middle class gay couples, young white artists, and middle-class white/black/hispanic families. I see crime happen outside my window at least once a month - sometimes every week. But somehow I don't feel negatively affected by it. I'm wary but I don't feel it hinders my freedom.

However, NO is new to me and it seems fundamentally different in its lawlessness. We are excited to be moving there but we wonder how it will affect out day to day lives.

Is there anyone out there who knows if it is still possible to walk and bike to stores, etc. in this neighborhood or would you have to be nutty to do that? From our visits to other areas in NO, we just get the feeling that some things are going to have to change ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 11:12 AM

14,407 posts, read 20,877,996 times
I've never heard of it, but you would love uptown.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:16 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,999,648 times
That is a nice area, pretty eclectic. A lot of people refer to it as the Faubourg St. John or, for the streets closer to the Fairgrounds, just the Fairgrounds. Its a walkable area with a few restaurants, coffee shops and a small grocery. On top of that, the French Quarter is only a bike ride away.

On the downside, there is no dependable public transportation. The bus lines that do run are very infrequent on stop running early in the evening. Also, there are some not so good neighborhoods surrounding it that could make it more un-safe that other nice areas of Uptown and Mid-City. However, I would argue that it's a little more "genuine" New Orleans feel.

Also look at the Marigny and Bywater as they have similar safety, bohemian feel and are adjacent to the French Quarter. The Marigny is home to Frenchman St. and is really the center of the art and music community. The Bywater is right next door.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:54 AM

Default Good information - thank you

Thanks for the replies and the in depth info rburnett - it's interesting & encouraging. We loved Bywater and the Marigny but we'll be attending UNO and wanted a bikeable route.

Thanks again! I'm getting excited for the move ..

Old 06-16-2011, 02:26 AM

423 posts, read 1,124,186 times
As far as bikable routes go in an old New Orleans neighborhood, the Fairgrounds/Faubourg St. John is probably a pretty solid way to go. Not as many stores within walking distance as some places, but you could do much worse. Crime is very hit-or-miss on a block-by-block basis, but that is the case with almost everywhere in the Crescent City.

The area around Ursulines and Esplanade Avenue is very nice, with some of the best surviving tree canopy since Katrina did its thing. The other side (north side I believe) of the Fairgrounds is less desirable, though it may have started to improve in safety since the St. Bernard Projects were torn down.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:09 PM

Thank you for the reply chalcedony. I've been persuing bike routes through the Nola Cycle 'bike map project' but I realize we'll just have to see for ourselves in some cases. However, do you know if St. Bernard Ave to the Quarter is used by cyclists very much?

Old 06-19-2011, 07:12 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,449,193 times
Drive it every work day and see plenty of bikes on it.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,078 times
Default Bike routes

St. Bernard is a very bumpy bike ride - the road is in terrible condition. Esplanade is much more pleasant (and shadier) and well worth the little bit out of your way that it might be. I've found that I bike according to road conditions more than shortest routes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by applett07 View Post
Thank you for the reply [URL="//www.city-data.com/forum/members/chalcedony-483933.html"]chalcedony[/URL]. I've been persuing bike routes through the Nola Cycle 'bike map project' but I realize we'll just have to see for ourselves in some cases. However, do you know if St. Bernard Ave to the Quarter is used by cyclists very much?

Old 06-20-2011, 10:01 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,449,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogbelly View Post
St. Bernard is a very bumpy bike ride - the road is in terrible condition. Esplanade is much more pleasant (and shadier) and well worth the little bit out of your way that it might be. I've found that I bike according to road conditions more than shortest routes.
Agreed 100% with everythang you say, most of the folks riding up and down St. Benard on bikes seem to be doing so for the same reason as me, they are commuting, and the way folks drive up and down the road I'm glad to be traveling the road in my pick-up instead of a bike.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:37 PM

152 posts, read 439,449 times
From your description of yor area in chicago I think you'd be fine almost anywhere here lol.

Try bywater and marigny. Just north east of downtown, maybe if you're a little more gutsy, go for st. Claude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans