U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2011, 08:44 AM

4 posts, read 6,088 times

Advertisements

I am moving to NO mid-july and I am trying to figure out where the best spot for me will be. My price range is in the 600-700 area renting.. I want to be in a safe but eclectic part of the city. Safe as in being comfortable walking/riding home from bars at night with a friend. I understand that no where guarantees my car will not get broken into. I am an artist and also looking at going back to school, looking into a community college for the fall- any comments about Delgado?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 09:25 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,191,163 times
The Marigny and Bywater represent a huge part of the art and music scene in New Orleans and have a definate bohemian vibe. These areas are relatively safe, walkable and adjacent to the French Quarter. Most of the good night/music clubs are here. You would be 3-4mi from Delgado.

Mid-City is less artsy, more blue collar, but still very urban and walkable with a good amount of bars and restaurants (plus a Grocery). It's a little more spread out than downtown, but you can still easily get around without a car. You would be <1mi from Delgado and have easy access to a streetcar to get to the CBD/French Quarter.

You should be able to find something in that price range in either any of those neighborhoods.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:21 PM

152 posts, read 458,833 times
Where is your money coming from? To assume you will make enough to afford 600-700 is interesting to me. Is your art supporting you? Or something else?

Old 06-21-2011, 02:29 PM

I am here to gather information about moving to a city close to my home, not to divulge any more financial information than simply what my rent average may be. I am a student supported by savings although I do not feel right justifying these things on a message board.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:30 PM

And thanks for the very helpful information that has already been provided!

Old 06-21-2011, 02:58 PM

113 posts, read 434,863 times
look into uptown and the lower garden district. there are PLENTY of bars and things to do along st. charles, magazine, and chop. lots of beautiful architecture to inspire you. it is more expensive in this area but you can find a place within your price range (i would just ask here about a specific area or block to make sure it's okay- try to generally stay within the st. charles/magazine border.) delgado is 15 minutes away by car, and also borders city park which i think is the most beautiful place in new orleans. i did look into attending delgado and found the faculty to be very helpful and dedicated. the campus looks kind of rough and shabby, but then you walk around and overhear people talking about taking advanced chemistry classes- i love how diverse the student population is there. you could also look into UNO which has a number of arts programs. good luck!

Old 06-22-2011, 08:17 PM

239 posts, read 585,612 times
I recently read an article about apartment complexes tailored to the needs of artists! Check it out:

Affordable apartment complexes, tailored for artists, are blossoming in New Orleans | NOLA.com

Old 06-24-2011, 10:25 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,697,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico82NO View Post
Where is your money coming from? To assume you will make enough to afford 600-700 is interesting to me. Is your art supporting you? Or something else?
Wow, that was rude. How are her finances any of your business? I am not exactly sure what you are trying to insinuate with the "or something else"?

Old 06-24-2011, 12:05 PM

152 posts, read 458,833 times
Mostly a trust fund. She mentioned savings so I'm close.

But I was actually interested in whether or not her art sold at sufficient quantities and prices to support her. Most artists I know do something else to eat and make art on the side.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 06-24-2011 at 03:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans