Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 08:07 PM

9,137 posts, read 5,799,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Ray Nagin Book: Former New Orleans Mayor Worried CIA Would Shoot Him With Poison Dart
"I thought to myself, ‘I’m a dead man! I have just publicly denounced the governor, U.S. Senators, FEMA and the president of the United States,’” he writes. “I started wondering if during the night I would be visited by specially trained CIA agents. Could they secretly shoot me with a miniature, slow-acting poison dart?"
Ray Nagin Book: Former New Orleans Mayor Worried CIA Would Shoot Him With Poison Dart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 08:02 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,031,800 times
Gosh he disgusts me. I was one of the people screaming for Mitch back in 2006 but no one wanted to listen back then. New Orleans had the opportunity to advance so much more after the storm had Nagin not been re-elected, but c'est la vie. At least we're moving forward now...

Old 06-28-2011, 02:23 PM

31 posts, read 104,320 times
Default I Felt His Pain

I am a Katrina survivor. Like so many, many others, I stayed during the storm. I will never forget I was eating supper on Friday night and watching the weather forecast. They were saying that Katrina was going to go to the panhandle of Florida. I went to bed feeling a lot better and slept well until I got up on Saturday morning when the forecast had completely changed. Mayor Nagin was on TV calling for an evacuation of the city. He did the right thing given the information he had. Too bad he didn't have a crystal ball or a vision of some kind 2 days before and called for an evacuation then.
If the levees would have held then Hurricane Katrina would have been just another storm during another summer that happened 6 years ago. No body had any earthly idea what was going to happen. No body was prepared because no one had gone through anything like that before.
I was caught up in the middle of it watching the state government fumble their way through the disaster while the federal government just stood there and watched what was going on in disbelief. The left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing and everybody was in charge. Everybody was in a panic throughout the state government. Communications were at a minimum and unreliable.
I do believe that whoever would have been Mayor of New Orleans at that time would have done just as bad a job at handling the situation. I will never forget hearing Nagin on the radio pleading for help and telling the world that New Orleans was devastated. You had to feel for the man because he was conveying what we were all feeling at the time.
I get so tired of all the Nagin bashing. I realize that he made some major errors in several of the statements he made afterwards in getting people to return. I fault him for that. I cannot fault him for the devastation that wrecked new Orleans. I cannot blame him for the totally unorganized way the aftermath was handled. No one knew how to handle that. To hear people speak, one would think that the storm was all his fault. It was God's fault.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:45 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
"Bush doesn't care about black people"

Old 06-28-2011, 03:53 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,031,800 times
No one was prepared for Katrina, everyone failed us. Blanco looked particularly bad but actually her mobilization of Wildlife and Fisheries to the front lines of the rescue effort was one of the only the things that went right that whole time. Bush wanted her to look bad, and he succeeded..only thing is he looked just as idiotic in the process.

I despise Nagin for his actions well after the storm. He played the race card the fullest extent, and it's African Americans who should be particularly disgusted because he always represented the agenda of the mostly white business community to begin with. He won re-election in '06 on the backs of black voters that he misled and by the funds of white Republicans who despise the Landrieu family. I kid you not, I had racist white people from the Garden District telling me they'd never vote for Mitch because his father was the first mayor to give African Americans prominent jobs in city hall and that voting for Nagin would set "them" back further. Politics makes for odd bedfellows.

I'm sure anyone would have lost their mind a little after going through Katrina and being in power but when he says that his concealed and eventually foundoutabout vacation to Jamaica after the storm is "all a blur" is either reason enough to institutionalize him or a sign of his dishonesty. He had the nerve to call the 9/11 attacks a mere "hole in the ground" and completely downplayed its significance to cover his own incompetence.

Lest we forget his mismanagement of the city budget at a time when New Orleans' economy and thereby its city revenue was still largely unaffected by the recession. Poor Mitch now inherits this debt and has to figure out how to offset it while improving the city, all with decreasing revenue..so sad. And may I add much of Nagin's shopping spree went to unnecessary projects like the "improvements" to Armstrong Park which was done so shoddily that it's going to cost more to repair all of the damage it caused.

I'll give Nagin a pass for everything that happened from August 2005 to May 2006. From then until the day he left, I will always think of him as a vile human being who should have never been given the chance to do anything besides work for Cox Cable.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:37 PM

299 posts, read 641,487 times
Naggin was just a typical self-centered, lying, racist, corrupt politician being patted on the held by the good ole' boy network. A true sack of excrement.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:47 PM

152 posts, read 479,668 times
whahahaha! a miniature slow acting poison dart?! I think this man should be committed. CIA conspiracy theories!?

What is going on in this mans head? he is truly insane, paranoid, wow!

Old 07-01-2011, 02:04 AM

515 posts, read 716,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by litedave View Post
I am a Katrina survivor. Like so many, many others, I stayed during the storm. I will never forget I was eating supper on Friday night and watching the weather forecast. They were saying that Katrina was going to go to the panhandle of Florida. I went to bed feeling a lot better and slept well until I got up on Saturday morning when the forecast had completely changed. Mayor Nagin was on TV calling for an evacuation of the city. He did the right thing given the information he had. Too bad he didn't have a crystal ball or a vision of some kind 2 days before and called for an evacuation then.
If the levees would have held then Hurricane Katrina would have been just another storm during another summer that happened 6 years ago. No body had any earthly idea what was going to happen. No body was prepared because no one had gone through anything like that before.
I was caught up in the middle of it watching the state government fumble their way through the disaster while the federal government just stood there and watched what was going on in disbelief. The left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing and everybody was in charge. Everybody was in a panic throughout the state government. Communications were at a minimum and unreliable.
I do believe that whoever would have been Mayor of New Orleans at that time would have done just as bad a job at handling the situation. I will never forget hearing Nagin on the radio pleading for help and telling the world that New Orleans was devastated. You had to feel for the man because he was conveying what we were all feeling at the time.

I get so tired of all the Nagin bashing. I realize that he made some major errors in several of the statements he made afterwards in getting people to return. I fault him for that. I cannot fault him for the devastation that wrecked new Orleans. I cannot blame him for the totally unorganized way the aftermath was handled. No one knew how to handle that. To hear people speak, one would think that the storm was all his fault. It was God's fault.
You must be related to that dangerous, vain moron!

All he had to do was read the City Charter and follow the plan! It's not like it was the first hurricane we ever had. Two hundred years of preparation and Mr "Chocolate City" thinks he knows better, ha!

Ray(cist) just thought it would be a splendid photo opportunity!

Good riddance to his foul presence!

Old 07-01-2011, 03:59 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,944,421 times
You want to hear a joke?

In 2006, the people of New Orleans elected a delusional idiot to be their mayor.

Oh wait, that's not funny. It's just true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: