U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 02:24 AM

14 posts, read 27,460 times

Advertisements

Pervious i post about moving from Hotlanta to Nola. When i finally had my mind made up and my heart set on moving to New Orleans. Feeling like i can really accomplish the move. I hear and see alot of people Nola people at that saying "they want to move or talking bad about new orleans". (Some people tho ) However it always been my dream to move to New orelans, i been there plenty of times before and after Katrina. but i feel like every since KaTrina happen some people dont have a heart no more. There are days were i see new orleans adverise on tv and people talking bout visitng and thats get me motivated again . So basically im confuse about the whole thing. I really want to start a new life there and become a better person.When looking at tv or the few people whom i spoken to about new orleans they say" they want to move or in the process of moving" that makes me have second thoughts. NEEDS ADVICE QUICK OR ENCOURAGEMENT atleast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 08:39 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,405,758 times

Most people who live in New Orleans love it. The way people in Green Bay feel about the packers is the way a large majority of New Orleanians feel about the city. Before the storm, a higher percentage of people in New Orleans said they wre satisfied with their life here than did the residents of any other city.

If it's your lifelng dream to live here, go ahead and do it. Will you regret it? Maybe. But it sounds like if you don't, you'll just be left wondering "what might have been".

Old 07-06-2011, 08:49 AM

Thank you so Much

Old 07-06-2011, 09:47 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,405,758 times
You're welcome. Whether you do end up deciding to move here or not, good luck.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:39 AM

I really want to move there next year march to be exact so i have alot of time but im trying to get everything together. also thanks for the advice again because i was just havent second thoughts like i said. having a positive feedback now i no to continue

Old 07-06-2011, 11:14 AM

2,049 posts, read 4,728,187 times
People live all over the world in different places because no one place is right for everyone. Perhaps New Orleans is right for you. If you feel compelled to move there, give it a try! It is a city that has a definite beat and if you can tune yourself to that beat you will understand.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:03 PM

113 posts, read 411,388 times
many people have a calling for new orleans, and it sounds like you're one of them. i moved half way across the country all alone to be here- never regretted it for an instant.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:17 PM

32 posts, read 112,814 times
Hello there,

I just recently moved to New Orleans from Dallas. Granted its not too terribly far (although the drive seems like it!), the two cities seem worlds away. I have been teaching for 5 years, but decided I wanted a new challenge. When I told everyone that I wanted to come to New Orleans to teach, about 80% of them were against it. They mentioned the hurricanes, the floods, the crime, the kids, and so on and so forth. The majority of these people hadn't been here before but only went by hearsay. However, even teachers at my previous school who relocated from New Orleans were a little negative about it. Their opinions even influenced my own thoughts for a minute. I was in a perfect place in a perfect school, and had no real reason to leave. But when I was offered a position that was almost too good to be true, I felt I had to take it. I didn't want to regret it later, nor did I want to miss out on a perfect opportunity for growth as individual and potential in my career. Now that I am here, I am just amazed with the city. Of course I am still a newbie, and perhaps I will start to see those things that people warned me about. Who knows. But I am here now. I took the chance and I am glad I did. Now I can form my own opinions and decide if this is the city for me or not. I am excited about the opportunity to work in new challenging type of school environment, because I had become too comfortable where I was. I am saying all of this just to encourage you to go for it, you never know until you try. Like someone before me said, you do not want to regret the unknown, which is not taking the chance to follow your heart and make the move. In the end, I hope you do what is best for you and what will make you happy!

Old 07-06-2011, 10:38 PM

Thank You guys... this is what i need postive feedback trying my best to make this happen.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:43 AM

3 posts, read 4,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljordan88laquita View Post
Pervious i post about moving from Hotlanta to Nola. When i finally had my mind made up and my heart set on moving to New Orleans. Feeling like i can really accomplish the move. I hear and see alot of people Nola people at that saying "they want to move or talking bad about new orleans". (Some people tho ) However it always been my dream to move to New orelans, i been there plenty of times before and after Katrina. but i feel like every since KaTrina happen some people dont have a heart no more. There are days were i see new orleans adverise on tv and people talking bout visitng and thats get me motivated again . So basically im confuse about the whole thing. I really want to start a new life there and become a better person.When looking at tv or the few people whom i spoken to about new orleans they say" they want to move or in the process of moving" that makes me have second thoughts. NEEDS ADVICE QUICK OR ENCOURAGEMENT atleast

Just to be sure you have an equal balance, I will give you some honesty that most will consider negative. I’m good with that label though, when people don’t like the truth it is usually met with mud slinging. I was born and raised in New Orleans; I married there and raised two kids until they were teens. Growing up there was horrible due to the fact that no activity could be enjoyed due to the fact that every time a place opened up for kids it would get over run by low life’s using it as a baby sitter or just steeling and destroying property until the owners had to shut it down. Going to school was terrible because the classes were full of thugs and unless you wanted to be a low life with them you were beat up and tormented daily. Once old enough to do the only activity that city knows how to do (drink) I would go to the quarter, deal with the stench and try to have fun but ultimately get tired of pan handling and crap like “I bet I can tell you were you got your shoes” or if in one place long enough; see a bar fight. Due to the **** poor schools (and yes, they are **** poor… look it up.) You are forced to send your kids to privet schools for any chance at a decent education. And that’s not easy because the economy (other then the food and booze market) sucks too (and yes it sucks, even if the locals say otherwise… look it up). People who love that city will blindly support it and back it up no matter what and that is commendable; I will say that the good people in New Orleans are some of the best people in the world (and I have been all over the world). Unfortunately, the politics and crime that ruin that place are far larger in numbers. When I left the city I left the whole state and have found places that actually have activities for young people that aren’t filled with crime, drugs and fights! Huge booming economies, that boasts jobs and safe crime free places to live with great public schools and affordable costs of living. Clean streets and high end life styles afforded to all through good paying jobs with strong and stable companies. New Orleans has none of those things; but if you like to drink, eat and party all nigh… oh, and buy T-shirts, then you will love it. Just don’t plan on having a full quality life there. Also, the negative and poor mouth mentality of the locals every since the storm is unbearable at times and will pull you down into the misery if you let it, so be carful not to let that happen if you do go. Good luck, you’re going to need it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans