U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 11:47 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,441,071 times

Advertisements

hate to be a debbie downer on this thread, but NOLA and Austin are a little different when it comes to restaurants... what could be considered good for fine dining in Austin would not cut it in many places here. I have a cousin in Austin that says the same thing, that he can go just about anywhere in town in blue jeans, but here it's really more of an "old-world" type of scene.

Anybody have anything to say on Brigtsen's re this thread? When I went there they really didn't seem to care too much about creating a fancy atmosphere, they just have friendly service and amazing food.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 12:11 PM

62 posts, read 120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
hate to be a debbie downer on this thread, but NOLA and Austin are a little different when it comes to restaurants... what could be considered good for fine dining in Austin would not cut it in many places here. I have a cousin in Austin that says the same thing, that he can go just about anywhere in town in blue jeans, but here it's really more of an "old-world" type of scene.

Anybody have anything to say on Brigtsen's re this thread? When I went there they really didn't seem to care too much about creating a fancy atmosphere, they just have friendly service and amazing food.
I hope it really is that good!

I'd say Austin is pretty darn good in regard to restaurants. Our favorites (links posted above) are world-class establishments, and recognized as such (Beard award winners for Southwest, multiple semi-finalists, Food & Wine recognized, etc. See also: Tyson Cole, Bryce Gilmore).

I certainly couldn't say based on percentage or volume whether NOLA is 'better' or 'mo' betta' , but being able to wear jeans in a restaurant is certainly not a gauge of its quality of food. At least not here. There, it may well be an indicator. It's good for us to know this, too, if we're considering a relo, as it definitely colors our take on how we operate here versus there.

But if Uchi, Uchiko and Barley Swine wouldn't 'cut it' in NOLA, then I'll eat my shoes when I get meals in NOLA that are notably "finer".

Formal is not for us. And you'll be hard pressed to find very many folks wearing ties here unless they're headed to a funeral or another city.

As always, though, I reserve the right to be proven wrong, and hope that I am.

edit: Have you eaten here, Neworleansisprettygood?

Last edited by Eric Bee; 08-01-2011 at 12:26 PM..

Old 08-01-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailysounds View Post
I highly recommend you peruse the site at the other end of the link below. Many restaurants have summer menus right now that are a price-fixed three course meal.

The New Orleans Menu By Tom Fitzmorris
Thank you, ds!

edit: Just read through. Wow! What a great tip! We really appreciate it. I can't give you more rep yet or I would!

Last edited by Eric Bee; 08-01-2011 at 12:26 PM..

Old 08-01-2011, 02:25 PM

19,867 posts, read 59,200,527 times
Just check the dress codes. It's been some years since I went to a "fine" dining spot in NOLA, have grandkids now, but you certainly used to have to be formally attired, i.e., coat/tie, no jeans, etc.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:12 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,441,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Bee View Post

I'd say Austin is pretty darn good in regard to restaurants. Our favorites (links posted above) are world-class establishments, and recognized as such (Beard award winners for Southwest, multiple semi-finalists, Food & Wine recognized, etc. See also: Tyson Cole, Bryce Gilmore).

I certainly couldn't say based on percentage or volume whether NOLA is 'better' or 'mo' betta' , but being able to wear jeans in a restaurant is certainly not a gauge of its quality of food. At least not here. There, it may well be an indicator. It's good for us to know this, too, if we're considering a relo, as it definitely colors our take on how we operate here versus there.

But if Uchi, Uchiko and Barley Swine wouldn't 'cut it' in NOLA, then I'll eat my shoes when I get meals in NOLA that are notably "finer".

Formal is not for us. And you'll be hard pressed to find very many folks wearing ties here unless they're headed to a funeral or another city.

Sorry, I meant "wouldn't cut it" as far as attire. Austin is one of my favorite cities, and the answer to your question is "not as much as I would have liked".

Old 08-01-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Sorry, I meant "wouldn't cut it" as far as attire. Austin is one of my favorite cities, and the answer to your question is "not as much as I would have liked".
Ah. That makes all the sense in the world.

We're gonna try and 'fake it' with a lunch at Commander's, and then roll on from there with some choices that won't be a question.

We're excited.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:05 AM

129 posts, read 326,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Bee View Post

I don't think anyone is saying the food isn't up to par in Austin. You just have to remember that many of these New Orleans restaurants are over a hundred years old (Antoine's is the oldest continuously operating restaurant in the country, opening in 1840) and they haven't changed a lot since they started. For this reason, they revert back to a time when gentlemen wore jackets and ties to dinner. For my money, because it is usually a special occasion when I go to someplace like that, the experience is better because it feels special to wear a nice jacket or suit. If that's not something you're into, there are still plenty of very fine restaurants that will not care if you have on blue jeans.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailysounds View Post
I don't think anyone is saying the food isn't up to par in Austin. You just have to remember that many of these New Orleans restaurants are over a hundred years old (Antoine's is the oldest continuously operating restaurant in the country, opening in 1840) and they haven't changed a lot since they started. For this reason, they revert back to a time when gentlemen wore jackets and ties to dinner. For my money, because it is usually a special occasion when I go to someplace like that, the experience is better because it feels special to wear a nice jacket or suit. If that's not something you're into, there are still plenty of very fine restaurants that will not care if you have on blue jeans.
ds,

Yeah, I went back and forth with NOisprettygood on PM, and I just mistook attire for food. My fault.

I appreciate all the feedback/advice/help here in this thread. It has been invaluable. Thank you all!

Old 08-04-2011, 02:23 PM

104 posts, read 440,939 times
as was said above, you have to remember that NO has a long, long, tradition of fine eateries, and quite frankly given how many good ones are out there, some have adopted the niche of the formal, yesteryear menu and attire, just as a good number of "dives" churn out really good food for relatively cheap. and then there's everything in between. there is no shortage of great places in the between--fine dining, kids and jeans welcome. NOLA has tons of places where you eat really well.
data point: went to Susan Spicer's LakeView place, Mondo, in shorts, with the kids and had a great meal. the vast majority of good restaurants are reasonably casual, and as someone pointed out, there are times when it is nice to dress up and eat in an adult setting with likewise folks (I get distracted by the slobs in flip flops and shorts when I'm in a nice place). make sure you check out the nola.com dining stuff. in the left margin are lists of top ten, top french, italian etc.

New Orleans Dining and Restaurant Guide - NOLA.com

bon appétit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans