Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 08:29 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times

Advertisements

How can you put emphasis on the Quarter being promoted vs the condition of The East. You're taking the least damaged area and comparing it to the 2nd worst damaged area. FQ is where the tourists dollars come from, of course we're going to promote it if it's open for business. Who in there right mind wouldn't. I can't say that I'm pleased with the rate of recovery in that area, but it is recovering. Insurance rates, yeah their a rip off. Same exact situation in any state with extensive hurricane damage ie. southeast Texas and south Florida. Is it right? No, but you can't make it out to be only New Orleans' problem. Housing prices, yeah it's called supply and demand. If Alabama ever becomes a destination where people actually want to live in numbers, the same thing will happen there. Secondly, we believe in taking care of our older structures and making good use out of them when possible instead of tearing down as much century old property that we can and replacing them with shoddy built suburban crap that won't last 50 years. Either way, we're doing something right. We did take you guys' cruise ship. I really could care less about something like that, but it just seemed fitting to this situation. Don't make me start to count the number of Alabama plates I see in the city and at Uptown residences. Alabama, this has to be a joke.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:30 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA2000TL View Post
Old enough to have a college education and to have traveled the country extensively in my line of work, so yes, I have experienced many places with which to compare. The millions of tourists you speak of come specifically to New Orleans. Last I heard Lafayette, Lake Charles, Shreveport, etc. weren't major tourist meccas. After Katrina, the city made heavy efforts to promote the FQ; however, the rest of it pretty much went to hell. Look at the east side of NOLA today. I drive through there going to our office on <shudder> the West Bank.

As for the football fans, LSU and Alabama are THE most obnoxious fans, hands down. I can't stand college football, and I get sick of the Auburn/Alabama crap over here. LSU and AL are just more "in your face" about it. We get the clue, you live in LA you like LSU; what a novel concept. Same for the fans here. People just live for that mess down here.

As for the "live and let live" philosophy of the other poster, that's all fine and well. There just happens to be a bit much of that. I, frankly, don't want to live in a neighborhood where someone's RV is out in the front yard or someone can paint their house pink or puke green. Having personal freedom is awesome, and I'm for that. Unfortunately, all it takes is one eccentric individual that moves in and has to show off his "individuality" by ruining the image of his property; thus the neighborhood. HOAs can be ridiculous; however, some regulation is nice so that your neighborhoods don't turn to slums.

You all have your territory there and are proud of it; that's fine. Plenty of us don't like it and have many reasons for it. I know plenty of folks around the country that dislike NOLA and LA in general. The OP had some valid points, although a great deal of his post were his own problems. He was correct in some of his statements about NOLA. The argument is worthless because you'll have someone who lives in the worst urban decayed neighborhood in Detroit defend and have pride in area of the city.
Tourism is well and alive in Lake Charles, Shreveport, and Lafayette. But who am I to say? Is uptown hell? Is Mid-City hell? People live for college football everywhere, college basketball in other cities, and professional sports in Philly and New York. Name one affluent neighborhood that turned into slums. Just one is fine, I know you cannot provide any more than that.

Some people hate the south in general. Some people hate the Florida panhandle, your standing on an argument as soft as Floridas sand.

This argument is worthless, as all your points are opinionated and immature.

Who was your professor? Dr. Seuss?

Old 08-24-2011, 08:37 PM

People either love or hate Louisiana. No one is even thinking about Alabama outside of College Football and the hospital at UAB. A good bulk of those tax dollars keeping that Redneck Riviera clean problem comes from a good deal of Northshore and Baton Rouge area residents at that. This really intrigues me.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:23 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,945,820 times
Since when did this become the "tell everybody how much New Orleans sucks" forum, and why are we even bothering responding?

Old 08-25-2011, 02:15 AM

291 posts, read 688,819 times
The Warehouse District in New Orleans seems a little pricey. I would consider moving to New Orleans but the crime seems a little high and the real estate seems a little over-priced. So I am leaning towards Texas and Georgia right now. Either Houston, Atlanta, or Dallas. Anyway, so I guess I can understand the op's frustration regarding cost of living because I have been studying real estate prices from all over the country and New Orleans does not seem like a good deal which is too bad because New Orleans seems like a pretty cool city for the most part.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:01 AM

483 posts, read 885,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I'm appalled your college awarded you with a degree.
I'm appalled at your ignorance. You obviously don't know much about what goes on outside the state of Louisiana. You also don't provide many facts to back up your claims, although you're "pissed" because someone is stomping on your state, so you sling insults. Now that's mature adult behavior. I could bring lots of folks in that would agree with me, but it's not worth my time to "argue on the internet". You hate AL and FL--don't visit, simple as that. I hate the toilet that Louisiana is, so I avoid it. You have your opinions and preferences, and I have mine. You can carry your high crime rate, high taxed city which resides under sea level. I never spoke highly of Mobile to begin with, and I moved OUT of Mobile because of the crap there. I rest my case. I'm done here.

Last edited by AlwaysBeachin; 08-25-2011 at 07:11 AM..

Old 08-25-2011, 08:35 AM

Hmmm. Here's the same posters view on Alabama. Now on the other hand he wants to lambast us for being the exact opposite. Sounds somewhere between young and confused.

Quote:
This is one reason I want to leave. Too many people are "the same" here. I have 0 in common with this crowd and I grew up here. I'm not one that advocate people walking around like freaks to express their individuality, but down here, there is 0 individuality it seems. I figured you'd drive a gold Yukon/Tahoe....you had everyting correct except the car. Do you by chance have the wildlife plate on the back or a large "A" sticker in the window?

Can't tell you how many times some "good ol' boy" has come up to me and made some comment like "what'd you think about that Alabama game Saturday?" The conversation continues a follows: "huh? oh....I don't keep track of that. I can't stand AL or AU football. I'm not a sports fan anyway." The response I get is "WHAT??? you're not an AL or AU fan? Ya gotta pick one!!! Where you from?" "Here....but I'm not your typical type; I spend my leisure time on my hobbies like my cars, aquarium, etc., and no I don't pick either team--can't stand either one of them." The conversation usually dies out as I have nothing else to talk about with them, lol.
"I'm not one that advocate people walking around like freaks to express their individuality,..." The fact that this poster puts so much emphasis in what other people are doing is troubling. Sounds like either a social development issue or either hints of that "good ol' boy" mentality that this person despises so much.

"I spend my leisure time on my hobbies like my cars, aquarium, etc..." Things that you'd probably have more access too in New Orleans than suburban Mobile right.. hmm

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 08-25-2011 at 08:44 AM..

Old 08-25-2011, 08:37 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
I'm appalled at your ignorance. You obviously don't know much about what goes on outside the state of Louisiana. You also don't provide many facts to back up your claims, although you're "pissed" because someone is stomping on your state, so you sling insults. Now that's mature adult behavior. I could bring lots of folks in that would agree with me, but it's not worth my time to "argue on the internet". You hate AL and FL--don't visit, simple as that. I hate the toilet that Louisiana is, so I avoid it. You have your opinions and preferences, and I have mine. You can carry your high crime rate, high taxed city which resides under sea level. I never spoke highly of Mobile to begin with, and I moved OUT of Mobile because of the crap there. I rest my case. I'm done here.
I'm not pissed, I don't take you seriously. I don't hate any state. I like Alabama and Florida. Which claims have I made that I cannot support?

Old 08-25-2011, 09:32 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
this has gotten into a pissin' contest so it is closed. It was always trollish to begin.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans