Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 12:28 AM

47 posts, read 224,489 times

Advertisements

I'm considering taking a cross-country train trip that will have an overnight in New Orleans. Probably won't have time to do much, but suggestions are welcome. I'd be showing up probably 8pm-ish one night and leaving around 11am or so the next morning unless I decided to stretch it to two nights in NO.

What sort of neighborhood is the Amtrak station in (i.e., do I need to reconsider this stop?), where is there to stay fairly close by, and what kind of stuff is there to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 12:33 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
well walking canal street at 300 am is very exciting these days. by the way how fast can you run the 100?

Old 12-30-2008, 08:35 AM

26 posts, read 169,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniusBugg View Post
I'm considering taking a cross-country train trip that will have an overnight in New Orleans. Probably won't have time to do much, but suggestions are welcome. I'd be showing up probably 8pm-ish one night and leaving around 11am or so the next morning unless I decided to stretch it to two nights in NO.

What sort of neighborhood is the Amtrak station in (i.e., do I need to reconsider this stop?), where is there to stay fairly close by, and what kind of stuff is there to do?
The Holiday Inn Downtown-Superdome, with the 10-story tall clarinet, is essentially across the street from the Amtrak station. Well, across the street and a few blocks down, but you can certainly see it from the station parking lot. From the hotel you're like six or seven blocks from Bourbon Street. Of course, with New Orleans' economy being pretty much based on tourism now, there are a lot of other options on lodging--I just figured I'd give you the nearest one.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:06 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
DO NOT walk around the station. Take a cab to wherever. There is a fabulous old hotel, the Monteleone, in the middle of the QUarter. You could see Jackson Square in the morning, have coffee and beignets at Cafe du Monde, then take a cab back to the station. Or you could stay 2 nights and see much more of the Quarter and the riverfront.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:45 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,284,305 times
Arriving around 8 pm. The quarter is just getting started at 8 pm. Just walk down Bourbon Street and enjoy the fun. If you like Jazz take a cab to Snug Harbor, then go to Cafe Dumond for a late night treat. Have breakfast at the Rivers Edge Resturant. Take a buggy and head back to the station to leave at 11 am..I would take two days personally and check out the D-Day museum. There is much to see and do in NOLA. A good web site is NOLA.com

Old 01-02-2009, 04:58 PM

47 posts, read 224,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
DO NOT walk around the station.
Any other opinions on this? Is it really that bad? Let me ask this... is it worse than downtown Atlanta?

Old 01-02-2009, 05:02 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Well, N.O. used to have the worst homicide rate in the country - many are between known acquaintenances but not all. Yes, I am serious DO NOT walk around the train station. And last month, CNN reported on N.O. having the highest crime rate ion the country.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:36 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,284,305 times
The biggest thing in NOLA is be aware of where you are and what is going on around you. Yes, there are places one should not walk around in NOLA. If you stick to the French Quarter, where the activity is you should be fine. Stay where there are people, don't walk down dark or poorly lit streets, ask questions when you arrive at the station about how to quickly and safely move from one area to another. Some of the hotels have shuttles that pick up and drop off their guest at the airport and train station, inquire when you book your room. I personally have not had a problem walking from the station, but you should follow your instincts. If you walk when you get to Canal you can take the street car to the other end toward the river.

Yes, NOLA can be a dangerous place. Yes, it is #1 in crime and murders, but remember most of this is among its residents. Resident against resident. Tourism is the one positive NOLA has going for it currently. The powers of the city have worked hard to make the tourist parts as safe as possible so people will come and spend money. It is a beautiful city, with much to see, and fun to visit. Just remember, you are a tourist, stick to the French Quarter unless you are with a tour group. Oh yes, there are loads of tours. Everything from alcoholic drinks, to cemeteries, to houses, to voodoo. Personally, I wouldn't miss it.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:52 PM

6 posts, read 16,010 times
Quote:

AmTrack station is in a sort of downtown area, dark at night, walkable during the day. During the day you can walk to the French Quarter; take a cab at night and ask to be let off in the 200 block of Bourbon Street. From there you can go to Acme Oyster House, Bourbon Street Bars, just stay in the well lit tourist areas & don't wander off, even during the day. There are plenty of hotels in the Quarter; I'd avoid the ones on Canal Street. Check on line for hotels or look at NOLa.com, a good local website. Have fun; bet you stay two days at least.

Last edited by lulu54; 01-03-2009 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: forgotten info

Old 01-05-2009, 05:59 AM

26 posts, read 169,581 times
Quote:
Any other opinions on this? Is it really that bad? Let me ask this... is it worse than downtown Atlanta?
In a word? No. Not between the bus station and the Quarter, anyway. You probably want to take a cab at night...but if you knew the area and did a fairly "safe" route you'd probably run into nothing worse than panhandlers. Loyola to Canal, Canal to Bourbon.

Of course, I've had visitors from other parts of the country that are not quite as "diverse" as NOLA, and they freak out as soon as they see all of the "scary black people" walking around...some of those knuckleheads are terrified their entire visit. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans