U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2011, 11:52 AM

2 posts, read 2,833 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband and I are moving to new orleans with our 1 year old daughter and 7 year old son. We are in our late 20's. He is taking over a motorsports store near Harvey. He makes decent money so we should be able to afford a nice place- with his income and us renting out the new home we just built- maybe $1500 to stay comfortable. We need at least 3 bedrooms. We have heard we may have to put our son into private school. I am a stay at home mom and we need to know-

Best neighborhoods for children.
Safest places to live.
Best schools if we have to go public..and private.
Any advice.

We have heard so many scary things, but I have always wanted to go to New Orleans- the victorian houses, the food and culture and I love Ann Rice ..but I have never had a chance. We have the option to turn down the job and stay here in Alabama where we live in a great area..but don't want to turn down any opportunities.

Advice anyone??

Last edited by masters2704; 09-02-2011 at 12:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 01:12 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,993,786 times
Can you be more specific about what kind of place you're looking for? Do you need a single family house, duplex, apartment building, etc.? Do you need a decent yard? Do you want to be able to walk to shops and restaurants? Do you want to be close to a streetcar or bus? Do you want a more conservative or more liberal feel to the neighborhood?

It's going to be hard to find a 3br for $1500 amongst beautiful Victorian houses in a safe area, except maybe Algiers point.

Most of the older parts of the city/interesting stuff is on the east bank.
The nicer/safer areas on the east bank are all going to be pretty far from Harvey. Not so much in distance, but in commute time since you'll have to deal with the bridge to the west bank.

A nice safe 3br for $1500? On the Eastbank, look in Broadmoor, Lakeview, Navarre, Gentilly or maybe parts of Carrollton. The neighborhoods closer to the river are going to have the older victorian houses. Carrollton has the beautiful architecture that you're thinking of, the streetcar runs through it, and its reasonably safe. Broadmoor was developed in the 1920s and has a little different style. Gentilly, Lakeview and Navarre were mostly developed after WWII, so they're not going to have a lot of older houses, however, these areas are some of the safest in the city. There are also some safer/nicer areas, but they're going to be more expensive.

Algiers point is an older part of the west bank right across the river from the French Quarter and has the nice architecture and a ferry that can take you to across the river to the CBD/French Quarter. However, its a relatively small neighborhood that feels isolated since its surrounded by another not so nice area. If you need something cheaper or larger, then you'll have to look outside the city.

There are some good public schools here, but they can be tough to get into since they get a lot of applications. Private school will run you at least $400/month per kid.

Best neighborhoods for children? I think that's subjective. Everyone wants raise their kids differently.

Last edited by rburnett; 09-02-2011 at 02:34 PM..

Old 09-02-2011, 03:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,833 times
Thanks for all the info. We need a single family home. We are sort of private and conservative when it comes to our children and home life, but liberal as far as our social lives. That being said, we don't have much of a social life anymore! We enjoy sports, outdoors, wakeboarding, parks, etc. but everything is based on the kids. We are home, school, soccer, boyscouts people at this point in our lives and just need to be close to those types of things. We need a yard for our kids for sure. We can maybe go to 2k a month and possibly use only 2 bedrooms but we have so much stuff! I stay home so my husband will have to be the one driving to Harvey everyday- but I would hate for him to have to travel too far after a hard day and we are ready to see him by 6:30. I guess the most important things are safe area that I won't be afraid to be alone with the kids in and they can play outside safely, good school, and not more than 35 minutes from his work. I hope these things are possible! We know absolutely nothing about any of the areas, so we really appreciate your help- thank you very, very much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans