Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 02:00 PM

2,570 posts, read 7,715,734 times

Advertisements

How often do you actually visit New Orleans?

I am asking because we have this idea in our heads that we can live in a town an hour away and visit often. The reason we can't move to New Orleans at this time is I am trying to finish my degree and the degree is only offered at a school about an hour away.

A friend pointed out how I currently live an hour from Austin, Texas, a city I love, but realistically I have only been there 2 times in the past year. And some years not at all.

But then again I keep thinking that I love New Orleans a lot more than Austin. Sorry, Austin!

Just curious if people find that they routinely make time to visit New Orleans if they don't live in the city, on a semi regular basis...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 03:58 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,926,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabride View Post
How often do you actually visit New Orleans?

I am asking because we have this idea in our heads that we can live in a town an hour away and visit often. The reason we can't move to New Orleans at this time is I am trying to finish my degree and the degree is only offered at a school about an hour away.

A friend pointed out how I currently live an hour from Austin, Texas, a city I love, but realistically I have only been there 2 times in the past year. And some years not at all.

But then again I keep thinking that I love New Orleans a lot more than Austin. Sorry, Austin!

Just curious if people find that they routinely make time to visit New Orleans if they don't live in the city, on a semi regular basis...
If the school is slu or lsu, i'd imagine that there would be a lot of people coming down every weekend. If it's nicholls state not sure I can say the same thing. A lot of New Orleans tourism is regional, people who are perfectly happy living in a small town in Mississippi or whatever but have to get their New Orleans fix once a month, twice a year, etc.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:02 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,444,730 times
An hour away in which direction?

Old 08-20-2011, 08:04 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,620,752 times
I knew people who lived on the North Shore and came in once for Christmas shopping. All depends on you.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:21 PM

2,570 posts, read 7,715,734 times
An hour away, in Hammond. SLU.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:27 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,926,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabride View Post
An hour away, in Hammond. SLU.
Hammond is a nice little college town, and basically next door to the farthest-out, albeit more conservative, suburbs of New Orleans. I'd go there before I would go to LSU.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:52 AM

16,505 posts, read 26,126,445 times
I had typed a somewhat long response, then the site screwed up and lost it, I was too irritated to type it over again.

Being from Louisiana, going to New Orleans was never a big deal for us. Hammond is perfectly situated between both of the largest metro areas, but being a little closer to Baton Rouge. I would go maybe 1-5 times a year, sometimes more, sometimes less. Sometimes I would go 4 times in one month. I honestly don't think the trip from Hammond to New Orleans would be very ideal, although not as bad as living in Baton Rouge and frequenting New Orleans.

With that said, you can enjoy New Orleans well from Hammond, but might find yourself gradually slowing down those day vacations. Although when you graduate, you will be able to move there and know much more about the neighborhoods and other first-hand information.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:28 PM

The drive to Hammond is actually shorter than the drive to BR, at least it feels like it. I say if you have the gas and the will to make the trip then go for it.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:04 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,126,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
The drive to Hammond is actually shorter than the drive to BR, at least it feels like it. I say if you have the gas and the will to make the trip then go for it.
It is nearly identical. You have to endure god awful traffic on both I-10 in Baton Rouge and most of I-12.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
It is nearly identical. You have to endure god awful traffic on both I-10 in Baton Rouge and most of I-12.
Hammond is only 50 or so miles the city vs. 80 miles to BR with traffic.
From Hammond to I-10 is around 25 miles, from there to Kenner is exactly 10 miles. From there to New Orleans is another exact 10 miles. I don't see a reason to make frequent trips to the city though since they'll have all of the basic necessaties and even a small mall in Hammond. They'd just really have to want to come to New Orleans for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans