Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 01:29 PM

97 posts, read 259,430 times

Advertisements

I've been here two weeks and I am constantly shaking my head and trying NOT to compare this backwoods place to California.

The latest today. TEACHERS standing outside of the school smoking. That would never happen in California and my friend assured me of the same in Texas. When I asked the office personnel if staff can smoke she informed me yes but not in the building...outside the building is ok. When I told her you can still SMELL the smoke in the air since they're doing it in front of the school she just gave me a look.

The streets are atrocious still post Katrina - get ready to get some tires.

The demographics have changed so get ready to need more IMMUNIZATIONS for your children due to the immigrant influx.

I KNOW I cannot compare this place to California by any stretch of the imagination but I would strongly URGE anyone considering a move here to SERIOUSLY think it over. I am only here temporarily (God say the same) - a month at most then I'm OUT of here.

I was BORN and RAISED here until 21 so I know what this city used to be like. You would have to be mentally depraved to CHOOSE to live here and educate your kids in this hell hole. Sorry, I'll always have love for the city but this place is through.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:32 PM

13,366 posts, read 28,597,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeptemberRays View Post
I've been here two weeks and I am constantly shaking my head and trying NOT to compare this backwoods place to California.

The latest today. TEACHERS standing outside of the school smoking. That would never happen in California and my friend assured me of the same in Texas. When I asked the office personnel if staff can smoke she informed me yes but not in the building...outside the building is ok. When I told her you can still SMELL the smoke in the air since they're doing it in front of the school she just gave me a look.

The streets are atrocious still post Katrina - get ready to get some tires.

The demographics have changed so get ready to need more IMMUNIZATIONS for your children due to the immigrant influx.

I KNOW I cannot compare this place to California by any stretch of the imagination but I would strongly URGE anyone considering a move here to SERIOUSLY think it over. I am only here temporarily (God say the same) - a month at most then I'm OUT of here.

I was BORN and RAISED here until 21 so I know what this city used to be like. You would have to be mentally depraved to CHOOSE to live here and educate your kids in this hell hole. Sorry, I'll always have love for the city but this place is through.
and california doesn't have the same problem

Old 09-07-2010, 03:09 PM

307 posts, read 798,137 times
Since California is the gold standard on how a state should be.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:34 PM

35 posts, read 143,115 times
I'd pick living in New Orleans over Los Angeles any year. Even 2006.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:17 PM

310 posts, read 851,401 times
Well, YOU were raised and educated here and I see that just taught you to think you're better than everyone else because you moved to the almighty California and away from the hicks that you were raised amongst. I feel bad for your family if they're still living here and you feel this way about them.

Most of us who post here were here before Katrina and have lived here since. Yes, things have changed but I can't see where things are as bad as you seem to think they are. Believe me, I'm no New Orleans apologist, but I think things are going fine. Not "OMG, we're so awesome!" but "fine" nonetheless. At least people are paying some attention to things now whereas it was complete laissez faire pre-storm.

Oh, and it's the immigrant children who are in need of the immunizations. I would sure hope that parents ANYWHERE in the U.S. are immunizing their children. God help the poor little souls who aren't protected. FYI, there's no such thing as EXTRA immunizations. If someone you know needs free immunizations, message me and I'll tell you where to find them. Did you not notice the huge immigrant population here while you were growing up? Hondurans, Cubans, Vietnamese... I'm venturing a guess you're not fond of the Mexican influx since Katrina? It is what it is and it's EVERYWHERE in this country. Cripes, it was bad in tiny Indianapolis when I lived there. It's not just New Orleans. I'm sorry you thought your city was somehow "protected" from their immigration be it legal or not.

But, I digress, have you taken the time to look at the immigrant population of California? I'm guessing no. Not hating on California but ALL states, cities, etc. have their fair share of problems. New Orleans has more problems than your average city but whatever. YOU are choosing not to live here. I believe others should make their own educated decisions about living here and hopefully not listen to someone spouting emotional rhetoric.

I'm willing to bet those teachers were smoking outside the building before Katrina too. Get off your high horse. Smoking does not equal backwoods. No, I don't smoke but I also don't judge those who do. You can't blame everything that's wrong with New Orleans on Katrina.

Last edited by Pook77; 09-07-2010 at 04:33 PM..

Old 09-07-2010, 07:14 PM

1,545 posts, read 3,000,122 times
I went to Lafayette (I know thats not far at all) for 5 years after Katrina, and returned recently. I'll be honest, I think things are going better than ever. An "immigrant problem" is a sign that the local economy is strong enough to bring in outside labor. Welcome to the United States of America. Maybe if you to go Appalachia or the Mississippi Delta you won't have to deal with Mexicans. The streets, at least the main ones, are being fixed at a rapid rate. Unemployment is very very low when compared to most locales across the country. I feel like this city lost its semi-3rd world, northernmost Caribbean city feel after Katrina. Things seem much more effectively run and safe. As a kid I never had a bike longer than a year, they were stolen out of my yard even when I chained them up. Now my bike has sat, unlocked, in my yard for 2 years without incident. I was robbed and pistol whipped steps from my house Uptown back in high school, I (knocks on wood) doubt that will happen again. So if you really hate it that much, get the hell out. Someone wants your spot. Including the scores of people I know who move here from across the world and never leave.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:49 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,662,849 times
As a matter of fact, I was just discussing with a friend how much nicer New Orleans is post-Katrina yesterday evening. But both of us idiotic Louisiana hicks only graduated from Tulane University...so what value do our humble opinions hold??

Old 09-08-2010, 06:00 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,332,904 times
How about this ? I wouldn't live in either place . There , it's settled .

Old 09-08-2010, 07:16 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,298,423 times
the only problem with you dissertation is that California sucks. I guess the rest can be chalked up to opinion.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:52 AM

4,858 posts, read 7,565,117 times
I've driven thru cities like Stockton Ca. and Bakersfield, both were full of tweeked out meth head red necks missing half their teeth. Disgusting. You couldn't pay me to live in those backwood cities. From what I can tell, Ca. is full of Rednecks, gang members and illegal aliens.

What's truly disgusting is the division between the classes. The middle class is hanging on by a thread in that state.

Having said all that there are some very nice things about Ca. and I would never go ito the Ca. forums and write such inflamatory things. It's low class to do that. Not to mention arrogant and self righteous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans