Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 09:24 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,058,660 times

Advertisements

We are in town for just a couple of days. We ate a Mulates last night which was fun but a bit spendy. We'd like to go somewhere else tonight that is tasty and specializes in Cajun food but where we can get a dinner for less than that $20 a head. Could y'all provide some recommendations please. We'd really appreciate it! Tonight is our last night here so it needs to be open on Monday night.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 10:34 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Only Cajun food?

Old 09-19-2011, 10:39 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,033,621 times
Coop's Place on Decatur Street! That definitely will not break the bank. It has sort of a bar atmosphere but the food is absolutely fabulous. It's on Decatur near the end, opposite the Canal Street side. It is pretty close to Esplanade. Just ask around if you don't follow me, the locals will know!

Old 09-19-2011, 01:13 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,058,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Coop's Place on Decatur Street! That definitely will not break the bank. It has sort of a bar atmosphere but the food is absolutely fabulous. It's on Decatur near the end, opposite the Canal Street side. It is pretty close to Esplanade. Just ask around if you don't follow me, the locals will know!
Just looked up Coops. Unfortunately, no one under 21 and we have a 9 year old with us.

Anyone else?

Old 09-19-2011, 01:24 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,945,820 times
Not sure on the prices, but I think Michaul's is fairly highly regarded: Michaul's Live Cajun Music Restaurant ... New Orleans cajun music Restaurant!

It's on St. Charles.

Edit: found a menu with prices, unfortunately, it looks like you'll be looking at over $20 a person unless you split dishes: http://www.neworleansrestaurants.com...rant/menu.html

Old 09-19-2011, 03:35 PM

67 posts, read 172,183 times
This is probably too late but I like Napoleon House. They have muffalettas, red beans, jambalaya, etc.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:36 PM

218 posts, read 840,290 times
It's mindblowing how expensive food is in this city.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:27 PM

67 posts, read 172,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheWayToMemphis View Post
It's mindblowing how expensive food is in this city.
I'll give you these places I like that are not expensive in my opinion: Lunch - Nola Grocery, Napoleon House, The Commerce, P&J, The Store, Streetcar Cafe, Country Flame.
Dinner - I'm not usually in town for dinner and when I am I don't watch my wallet but Mandina's & Green Goddess are not very expensive. Rio Mar has small plates as does Cochon. I like that because you can pass them around and taste everything.
Most overrated: Mulate's and Mother's.
I'll be dining at Tommy's and LaBoca soon and I can't wait. A night out playing tourist is always fun.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:43 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,945,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Fury View Post
I'll give you these places I like that are not expensive in my opinion: Lunch - Nola Grocery, Napoleon House, The Commerce, P&J, The Store, Streetcar Cafe, Country Flame.
Dinner - I'm not usually in town for dinner and when I am I don't watch my wallet but Mandina's & Green Goddess are not very expensive. Rio Mar has small plates as does Cochon. I like that because you can pass them around and taste everything.
Most overrated: Mulate's and Mother's.
I'll be dining at Tommy's and LaBoca soon and I can't wait. A night out playing tourist is always fun.
So glad somebody else knows about Green Goddess, I've only been there once, but I never hear it mentioned. It's a treat. And La Boca is great. Enjoy. And I agree about Mother's. My first job was there, and while it was great to get free debris biscuits for break every day, waiting in line for half an hour to wait (again) on an undersized, 9 dollar po-boy isn't my idea of a great experience.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:26 PM

358 posts, read 710,814 times
Not sure about dinner, but for lunch go to Messina's in the riverwalk food court. Yes it's a food court, but the food is incredible and cheap and you have an amazing view of the river in A/C comfort.

EDIT: the thing is...unless you're looking for atmosphere there is NO reason to spend a lot on food in New Orleans (meaning more than ~10 bucks). Even the most grungy dives serve up great food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans