U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 05:53 PM

213 posts, read 458,771 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, I was hoping to find some advice on visiting NOLA during Mardi Gras 2012 - we were planning on coming up the friday and staying until fat tuesday. The plan was to have come down for a friend's bachelor party - I heard that the weekend before fat tuesday would fit the bill. Anyone have any good advice on where to stay and which nights are a good time on bourbon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 08:00 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,003,043 times
Bourbon St. is always packed on the weekend, Mardi Gras or not. The weekend before Mardi Gras will be even crazier and Tuesday night will be the worst/best considering your point of view. Later in the evening on Tuesday, they'll be so many people, you won't even be able to walk. The crowd will have to carry you along.

The Quarter is a lot of fun on Mardi Gras Day, so definitely plan on spending the day down there. Just FYI, the first 6 blocks of Bourbon St will be almost impassable later on that night, the rest of the Quarter is fine. I would suggest hitting Bourbon St on another night when you can actually walk around.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:12 AM

280 posts, read 428,858 times
I agree with the above. If you're going to hang out on Bourbon, do it on the weekend (preferrably Friday) as Monday and Tuesday will be packed, and I mean PACKED. Plus a lot of bars that normally don't charge cover, will start charging on Monday and Tuesday as a means of crowd control...and if you're going to drink....bring your own alcohol because trying to get a drink down there will be next to impossible. Make sure it's in a non-glass container.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:41 PM

358 posts, read 621,163 times
In my experience Bourbon on Saturday night after about 9 or 10 is the most insane. For that reason I tell people not to bother but of course they have to see for themselves. Afterwards they tend to agree that there was no point in even attempting to navigate it. It's utterly ridiculous. People panicing from the crush of the crowd.

The quarter is great during Mardi Gras, but the earlier you're down there (whatever day it is) the better. I always tell people there is much more to Mardi Gras than Bourbon. Look up the parade times and go see them! They are a blast.

All things considered I'd advise Mardi Gras newbies to try the stretch of St Charles Ave just above Lee Circle toward Jackson Ave. That area gets lots of parades, is walking distance to the quarter, actually has some elbow room, and has some really cool bars. Get a place near Harrahs in the warehouse district and walk to this area for parades.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:59 PM

2,192 posts, read 6,434,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizkitgto View Post
Hi guys, I was hoping to find some advice on visiting NOLA during Mardi Gras 2012 - we were planning on coming up the friday and staying until fat tuesday. The plan was to have come down for a friend's bachelor party - I heard that the weekend before fat tuesday would fit the bill. Anyone have any good advice on where to stay and which nights are a good time on bourbon?
If you can afford a room on Bourbon St with a balcony it is well worth the money. I get one at The Inn on Bourbon and love the view from above and you will never catch me in the crowd. And if you have lots of beads you can see lots of boobs.

Some words of advice. Just because the ladies are showing boobs doesn't mean you can show your wang. And don't even think of peeing in public or smoking weed, unless you want to spend the weekend in jail. During Mardi Gras if you get locked up you won't get out until the Wednesday after Fat Tuesday if you're lucky to even see a judge by then.

Also if you see someone with what looks like a pull chain for a fan around their neck. Don't even think of messing with them and if they tell you to move, you better move. That's our finest, the men in blue and that chain has a badge attached to it inside their shirt.

And also watch out for the police on horses because they are trained to bite you to move you out of the way.

Guess what I'm trying to say is don't come down here and act a fool because you will most likely be made a fool of.

busta

Old 10-04-2011, 05:40 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,405,337 times
Busta is our resident master of subtlety, if you hadn't guessed.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:00 PM

213 posts, read 458,771 times
Oh wow, looks like loads of fun - thanks for the great advice! We'll be looking into hotels soon, hopefully we can nab at least one room on bourbon w/a balcony! So do you have to always keep walking back to your room to get drinks? Or just walk around with a huge mug? What time @ night does bourbon get super-packed? I'd like to see that one night.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:12 PM

15,849 posts, read 31,527,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
I And don't even think of peeing in public or smoking weed, unless you want to spend the weekend in jail.

busta
Seriously? When I was there in 1984 there were NO bathrooms *anywhere* and the hotels would NOT let you come in and use theirs. Everybody was peeing in the alleys and behind buildings and dumpsters and anyplace they could.

Since they are enforcing this law, as you say, then I hope to goodness they are providing some bathrooms someplace.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-04-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Seriously? When I was there in 1984 there were NO bathrooms *anywhere* and the hotels would NOT let you come in and use theirs. Everybody was peeing in the alleys and behind buildings and dumpsters and anyplace they could.

Since they are enforcing this law, as you say, then I hope to goodness they are providing some bathrooms someplace.

20yrsinBranson

No way. We provide you with the booze, what you do with it after it passes through your body, you're on your own.

Just kidding. All bars now have to open the restrooms to the public if they serve booze. The kicker is whether or not you can make it to it before you pee in your pants because of the lines.

That's why I get a room overlooking everything and enjoy the view because it comes with my own personal carper and I never wait in line, lol.

busta

Old 10-04-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Busta is our resident master of subtlety, if you hadn't guessed.

Ya think lol

busta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans