U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 05:59 PM

3 posts, read 7,157 times

Advertisements

Howdy all!
I have a job opportunity with a company located in Metairie and from a map I looked at I was wanting to try and rent a house/apartment in Mandeville and just commute. Can anyone tell me what this town is like? I have been to NOLA and BR several times but never been to the North Shore. I just got out of grad school and am 23, what is there to do in Mandeville, when I googled stuff there actually showed quite a few bars there. Just kind of wanting to get a feel of the place! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 07:40 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,004,789 times
Wait... you're 23, single and you want to live in Mandeville!?

Mandeville is a small town surrounded by a suburban area mostly populated by families with kids. Its overwhelmingly white and very conservative area. There are a few bars and a few non-chain restaurants, but it pales in comparison to what is across the lake. As with most of the suburbs around here, the social scene can be hard to break into since everyone has had the same friends since elementary school. Also, driving across that bridge WILL get old real quick.

Why not New Orleans? Your commute will be much easier and you'll have easy access to much more interesting places and a plethora of nightlife. You will also be much more likely to run across other young single people and have a much easier time making friends.

Have you ever spent time in New Orleans, not the suburbs?

Last edited by rburnett; 10-04-2011 at 08:30 AM..

Old 10-04-2011, 10:26 AM

280 posts, read 429,752 times
Yeah if you like the nightlife and bar scene and don't mind heavy traffic and city living, then Metairie/New Orleans is where you want to be.

If you enjoy small town atmosphere, then Mandeville is where you want to be. There's some decent spots in Mandeville/Covington area, but they're mainly patronized by the older crowd. They have a couple of decent live music venues though.

I lived in Metairie when I was in my late twenties, grew tired of it and moved to Covington which is where I met my wife. Didn't regret it for a second. Still commuted across the Causeway to work in Metairie. I worked a shift-working type schedule so I only had to commute it around 3 times a week which made it easy. The commute across the Causeway is about 20-30 minutes, not including the traffic you'll face in Metairie, so keep that in mind when you decide on where to live.

Mandeville has a nice lakefront park where you can walk/jog and has a lot of good restaurants. There's not a lot of crime and you're closer to Baton Rouge and Slidell, which are medium sized cities. Best of luck on whatever you decide.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:05 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,407,844 times
Yeah, Mandeville is probably not where you want to be at 23. And the Causeway, as said above, will get old REAL fast.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:57 AM

270 posts, read 520,259 times
Agreed. Mandevile is my favorite Louisiana city, but I'm married with child. Look to New Orleans, but watch out on the drunkeness as it's still a sin.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:00 PM

Yea after reading more in detail ya'll are right. The main reason I am looking at Mandeville is also because my fiance got into LSU for grad school, however, the job offer that I had was in Metairie. Looking on a map, we would still be able to see each other easily it seems (she will be living in BR). Thats kind of the main reason.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat2011 View Post
Agreed. Mandevile is my favorite Louisiana city, but I'm married with child. Look to New Orleans, but watch out on the drunkeness as it's still a sin.

I'm a conservative Catholic...what drunkeness

Old 10-04-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigem88 View Post
I'm a conservative Catholic...what drunkeness
I have a feeling you'll fit right in.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:59 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,004,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat2011 View Post
Last I checked, Jesus turned water into wine. No need to throw stones, man.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
Last I checked, Jesus turned water into wine. No need to throw stones, man.
I was giving them both the benefit of the doubt re: sarcasm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans