U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 03:21 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,063,806 times

Advertisements

There are plenty of IT jobs here. Plenty of admin/clerical too.
(I have no problem finding work here...not jobs I really want, but one can easily find a tech job or an admin job here)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 04:27 PM

5 posts, read 20,643 times
Thank you all for the advice. I am so looking forward to visiting and hopefully relocating!!

Old 10-10-2011, 08:53 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,390,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by storm6398 View Post
Thank you all for the advice. I am so looking forward to visiting and hopefully relocating!!
Good luck. (not sarcasm)

Old 05-15-2015, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 675 times
Default New Orleans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm6398 View Post
Hi. I will be in New Orleans at the end of the month on vacation and to look for a job and an apartment. I notice that there seems to be a lot a lot of jobs/rentals in the paper and on Craigslist...how is the economy there really?
Also I have pets - a chihuahua and 4 cats - how difficult will it be to find a rental? Thanks for all of your help. Have a wonderful day!!!
Hi storm6398,
I just came across this forum and noticed your post. I've visited New Orleans twice in the past 8 months and like you am considering moving there.
Have you found a job and what kind of obstacles did you encounter when you first started a life there?
Thank you,

Frannie314

Old 05-18-2015, 09:26 PM

2 posts, read 1,123 times
Hi Storm,
I will send you the same answer I have sent sb. else. Most people here don't want to hear that, but after 4 years here I don't feel like keeping still anymore. Please read carefully, and make up your own mind.

I can only talk about my experiences, nothing more. All my friends with a bachelor's degree (economics mostly) moved away. It's a great city to party in, but if you have no connections you may find yourself waiting tables for $ 7 an hour, working every single weekend, holiday (you can see the tourists enjoying Mardi Gras while you are the one who never gets to see anything).
The housing situation is more than alarming. If you have pets...it's hard. I pay $ 1040 rent + $ 190 for utilities, since the house I live in is extremely poorly insulated. What should I say, this is all I could find with my dog (and I'd never consider giving him away). There is no way I can save money (I make $ 12.50 per hour - do the math) and I don't want to humiliate myself by working as a stripper (which would surely solve my money situation). Yes, they are always looking for new girls in this town.
If you are willing to wait tables (and will get a job in one of the expensive restaurants), work as a bartender or prostitute yourself in one of the nightclubs, you can make money in this city. Lots of money. Although I have nothing against the first two jobs, as I said, I'm too good for the third one mentioned. Please, allow me a small piece of dignity that's left in my bones after 4 years in this place.
I was hoping to find a job in my field (administrative/economy), since I made it through business school and am proud of it. I wasn't expecting $ 5000 a month, but sth. that would pay my bills and offer me a vacation once a year, so I could get out every now and then. As I said, without being from one of the wealthy families here and without knowing the right people.... Forget about writing resumes. Everything here is about sb. who knows you calling sb. who has a job offer and making the connection. I was offered working at the front desk of hotels (with a business school degree and being fluent in 3 foreign languages). Shifts - whatever they would need me for (of course, weekends). Payment: less than $ 10 p.hour.
Also, if you are working with/in the oil industry, you'll make good money. People here give a peep about environment, so... Oil rig disaster...who cares? Recycling? Yeah, right. Water quality? Hmmm, better don't drink the water coming out of the faucet.
The schools are a joke. I went to a Catholic school myself, but have never seen as much segregation as in this city. White and black? No. Rich and poor. If you are poor and your kid goes to one of the regular schools...good night. Private schools are extremely expensive, but offer some kind of future.
The neighborhood you live in can decide upon you getting mugged in the middle of the day or just having your bike stolen once per year. So yes, you will pay a higher rent to be safe and be able to come back home at night.
They claim to love pets. After all, pets are allowed in most bars etc. But try to find an apartment with a big dog. This is where their love ends. And, if you are a single woman,...well, be prepared to loose any apartment that is somehow decent to a man who makes more money and...well, does not have a pet nor child.
If you can't afford a car (the insurance rate is out of this world), you'll find yourself relying on the non-reliable public transportation system. As night, you see the tired faces of hotel maids, kitchen personnel etc. waiting for up to 1.5 hours to catch a bus back home after work, so that -the very next morning- they will be able to go back to work. Again. No sick days (we are not talking here about whether paid or not: if you are sick, sb. else will get your job), no vacation, no holidays. I sometimes look at them and feel like crying. Those are the grey faces of people behind all this tourist industry. And although they make everything possible (without them this city would be nothing), they don't matter. In fact, each precious hour of their life is worth only $ 5-7 an hour. Before tax. I wonder, if they know that in other parts of this country things are different. Wonder, if they know that they have rights. And that they do matter as human beings. That their work force is crucial. Or if they just don't know anything else then going to work every single day of their lives, so they can pay their bills -maybe in time this month. Sounds like slavery? Welcome to the south.

I agree with those who told you to get a job first before moving down here. And I mean, you need to have a contract (not just a promise). Trust me, you wouldn't be the first one moving down here, because it's such a fun city and ending up unemployed and looking desperately for a job. You have to make your own decisions and one weekend is honestly not enough to comprehend this place and what's going on here for those living here.

I moved here because of my significant other (turned out to be abusive). So I am alone now, but could take my dog with me. Maybe one day, I will make it out of here and forget what I've seen here. I would never move back here again, if out of this place. Party here? Maybe. Come down for Mardi Gras? Maybe. Live here? No. I'd rather live in a place where my work force and experience is appreciated.

Last edited by Anonymous000; 05-18-2015 at 09:35 PM..

Old 05-19-2015, 07:01 PM

860 posts, read 996,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous000 View Post
Hi Storm,
I will send you the same answer I have sent sb. else. Most people here don't want to hear that, but after 4 years here I don't feel like keeping still anymore. Please read carefully, and make up your own mind.

I can only talk about my experiences, nothing more. All my friends with a bachelor's degree (economics mostly) moved away. It's a great city to party in, but if you have no connections you may find yourself waiting tables for $ 7 an hour, working every single weekend, holiday (you can see the tourists enjoying Mardi Gras while you are the one who never gets to see anything).
The housing situation is more than alarming. If you have pets...it's hard. I pay $ 1040 rent + $ 190 for utilities, since the house I live in is extremely poorly insulated. What should I say, this is all I could find with my dog (and I'd never consider giving him away). There is no way I can save money (I make $ 12.50 per hour - do the math) and I don't want to humiliate myself by working as a stripper (which would surely solve my money situation). Yes, they are always looking for new girls in this town.
If you are willing to wait tables (and will get a job in one of the expensive restaurants), work as a bartender or prostitute yourself in one of the nightclubs, you can make money in this city. Lots of money. Although I have nothing against the first two jobs, as I said, I'm too good for the third one mentioned. Please, allow me a small piece of dignity that's left in my bones after 4 years in this place.
I was hoping to find a job in my field (administrative/economy), since I made it through business school and am proud of it. I wasn't expecting $ 5000 a month, but sth. that would pay my bills and offer me a vacation once a year, so I could get out every now and then. As I said, without being from one of the wealthy families here and without knowing the right people.... Forget about writing resumes. Everything here is about sb. who knows you calling sb. who has a job offer and making the connection. I was offered working at the front desk of hotels (with a business school degree and being fluent in 3 foreign languages). Shifts - whatever they would need me for (of course, weekends). Payment: less than $ 10 p.hour.
Also, if you are working with/in the oil industry, you'll make good money. People here give a peep about environment, so... Oil rig disaster...who cares? Recycling? Yeah, right. Water quality? Hmmm, better don't drink the water coming out of the faucet.
The schools are a joke. I went to a Catholic school myself, but have never seen as much segregation as in this city. White and black? No. Rich and poor. If you are poor and your kid goes to one of the regular schools...good night. Private schools are extremely expensive, but offer some kind of future.
The neighborhood you live in can decide upon you getting mugged in the middle of the day or just having your bike stolen once per year. So yes, you will pay a higher rent to be safe and be able to come back home at night.
They claim to love pets. After all, pets are allowed in most bars etc. But try to find an apartment with a big dog. This is where their love ends. And, if you are a single woman,...well, be prepared to loose any apartment that is somehow decent to a man who makes more money and...well, does not have a pet nor child.
If you can't afford a car (the insurance rate is out of this world), you'll find yourself relying on the non-reliable public transportation system. As night, you see the tired faces of hotel maids, kitchen personnel etc. waiting for up to 1.5 hours to catch a bus back home after work, so that -the very next morning- they will be able to go back to work. Again. No sick days (we are not talking here about whether paid or not: if you are sick, sb. else will get your job), no vacation, no holidays. I sometimes look at them and feel like crying. Those are the grey faces of people behind all this tourist industry. And although they make everything possible (without them this city would be nothing), they don't matter. In fact, each precious hour of their life is worth only $ 5-7 an hour. Before tax. I wonder, if they know that in other parts of this country things are different. Wonder, if they know that they have rights. And that they do matter as human beings. That their work force is crucial. Or if they just don't know anything else then going to work every single day of their lives, so they can pay their bills -maybe in time this month. Sounds like slavery? Welcome to the south.

I agree with those who told you to get a job first before moving down here. And I mean, you need to have a contract (not just a promise). Trust me, you wouldn't be the first one moving down here, because it's such a fun city and ending up unemployed and looking desperately for a job. You have to make your own decisions and one weekend is honestly not enough to comprehend this place and what's going on here for those living here.

I moved here because of my significant other (turned out to be abusive). So I am alone now, but could take my dog with me. Maybe one day, I will make it out of here and forget what I've seen here. I would never move back here again, if out of this place. Party here? Maybe. Come down for Mardi Gras? Maybe. Live here? No. I'd rather live in a place where my work force and experience is appreciated.
I'm sorry you have had such a bad experience here, but there are many people who have had very good things happen here.
I have lived in several other cities, and the hotel maids and kitchen staff don't drive Bentleys there either, but if I were in the service industry I would want to live somewhere like New Orleans. At least you know the hotels and restaurants will stay busy and you can always find a job. My stepdaughter waits tables in a restaurant for about 4 hours in the evenings after her classes, and I've seen her come home with over $150 in tips several times. Not bad for a college student.

Are there some professions that you could make more money in somewhere else? Probably, but the grass is not always greener.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:53 PM

2,123 posts, read 2,325,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous000 View Post
Hi Storm,
You don't sound happy there. Have you considered leaving? In your place, I probably would. Life is too short!

Old 05-22-2015, 01:35 PM

327 posts, read 325,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
Forget craigslist to get a job. The only thing you will find on that site is that you will most likely get scammed or offered a job at half what the pay should be.

Also you will find that rent prices are high here. You will do better purchasing a place. And if I were you I would make sure that you have a job lined up before getting here.

Busta

Very true, although there might be 1 out of 100 good jobs on there, and you only need 1 job...right?

The best way to find jobs is in person networking. Even applying for jobs online is outdated, because there are too many people doing it and you get lost in the shuffle. Network, in person, and be confident and outgoing when asking others to help you find work. People like to help. Just ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or