Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 11:30 AM

27 posts, read 60,789 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are planning a four day trip to NO. I assumed we'd stay in the French Quarter, but after reading some of the posts here I'm starting to debate that. Is it all just tourist trap places? If so, could you recommend another neighborhood?

Also, I know we're only going to be there for a short time, but I'd like to see someplace else in Louisiana besides New Orleans. Would a day trip to Lafayette be a good idea? Anything to do there?

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 11:40 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
What time of year are you coming? How long a trip?

If the weather cooperates, plan a day trip to the swamps. There are companies that take you on a boat and point out the flora/fauna, which you might not notice as some can be quite subtle. The other choice is a tour from the Riverfront through a canal and swamps across the river.
- Audubon Zoo is beautiful and interesting for most adults.
-Take a street car ride up and down St. Charles. Get off at the Columns Hotel and have a drink on the porch.
-The French Quarter is not all tourist traps. There are antique stores, museums, Jackson Square, and fabulous restaurants.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:44 AM

Thank you. Any hotel recommendations? There are so many to choose from! I think we're goint to be coming in February. I hope the weather isn't too bad then. I'm sure it won't be anywhere near as bad as Pittsburgh in the winter.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:49 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
The Quarter will be very active, although I don't know when Mardi Falls next year.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:37 PM

310 posts, read 854,823 times
Mardi Gras this year is Tuesday February 21. Major parades will start the weekend of February 10, 11, 12 then ramp back up February 15 all the way through Fat Tuesday the 21st. Hotel prices will be inflated and many will require multiple night stays. If you're not into the Mardi Gras celebration, maybe come right after Fat Tuesday when things will slow down a bit and hotel prices are lower.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:14 PM

358 posts, read 710,938 times
As long as you steer clear of Mardi Gras, I think you should look to stay in the quarter or perhaps across Canal St around Harrahs. It's easy to use the quarter as a base and jump to other parts of the city using the street car or cabs.

There are spots on Bourbon that could be accused of being tourist traps (although they can be a blast), but Bourbon is still great and the quarter as a whole is wonderful. Lots of different ways to pass the time if you do just a little research in one of the popular guidebooks. Oh and try not to sleep till 3pm despite what you may have gotten into the night before.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:20 PM

Thanks for your advice everyone! I actually think we're planning to go February 5th - random to go on a Tuesday, but I found roundtrip airfare for $200 each.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:36 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
There are also B&Bs in the Quarter, just google and read the reviews. Most are very nice.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:16 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
I recommend the Faubourg Marigny, myself. It's just outside The Quarter, separated by Esplanade Blvd, but it has Frenchman Street, and I think all visitors who are into the music should check it out. You'd get best of both worlds.

I recommend the Lamothe House on Esplanade. I have NOT stayed there but I've heard plenty good about it, and the rates are reasonable. We stay at the Dauphine House. She's already booked for the Mardi Gras season, though.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:01 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,780 times
I agree with Bluesmama. The Marigny is a fantastic 'hood, so close to Frenchman and the Quarter, but far enough away that you can feel like you're seeing part of the 'real' NOLA, as opposed to the tourist glitz.
Also be aware that accomm prices will go through the roof during Carnival, as they do for most major festivals. Some buddies of mine stayed at the place Bluesmama mentioned, and raved about it. Enjoy your time in this magical city, if you feel like you'd need a bit of a guide while you're there, DM me, my hub and I will be living there by the time you visit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans