U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2011, 06:21 PM

29 posts, read 46,989 times

Advertisements

I have been looking through the forums, and it seems like there are some mixed opinions of Bywater.

I just moved out here from Los Angeles area, so I am not an expert on the area by any means. I have been checking out around town, and came across a cool house in Bywater around Dauphine and Clouet. I also looked at a house in the Marigny around Spain and Chartres. The one in Marigny seems a little more walker friendly, but is that area of Bywater considered pretty safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 10:00 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,453,144 times
Well your moving from LA so your most likely street smart, that's all I'm saying be aware of your surrondings and you should be OK. Both area's are interesting areas that are fairly safe(course you should know the gang bangin street thug areas arent but a short walk away)course that's the way New Orleans is laid out. Check out the NOPD crime map and ya'll get the idea.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:20 AM

218 posts, read 764,742 times
If you can afford to live there (it's certainly not cheap anymore) and if you can stomach the hipsters, you'll be fine.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:47 AM

15 posts, read 57,843 times
Default Bywater is great

I live in the Bywater, on Mazant and Rampart. It is a great neighborhood. I walk everywhere and walk around at all hours of the day and night. I often walk back from the Marginy in the early hours of the morning. My female roommates do as well. Old fashioned New Orleans veterans might say this area is hit or miss because of times past, but they are mistaken and it's changed and totally gentrified now.

This is a very nice and safe area with great neighbors. No shady people. I prefer it to the Marginy because the Bywater has a great vibe and community, it is quieter and more laid back and further from all the tourists on Frenchman street. You are still very much in walking/biking distance to everything you need this side of the Quarter. The Bywater is very up and coming. We have a few new businesses popping up like the Shake Sugary and St Coffee and such, as well as places like Bacchanal and The Joint and Satsuma which have been around for a little while.

The majority of people consider St Claude street to be somewhat of a dividing line and everything above it is more dangerous and should be avoided, especially at night. The only incident we have had is my roommate had her bike stolen in front of our house. But it was an expensive bike and she shouldn't of left it outside. That could have happened anywhere in New Orleans.

You come to the Bywater. It might look a little rough around the edges at first cuz that's how most of New Orleans can seem. This isn't snooty uptown. Once you are here the Bywater will start to grow on you real quick and you will soon realize that everyone who lives here is very agreeable and nice and you will feel perfectly safe and at home.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:58 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,002,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnick View Post
I live in the Bywater, on Mazant and Rampart. It is a great neighborhood. I walk everywhere and walk around at all hours of the day and night. I often walk back from the Marginy in the early hours of the morning. My female roommates do as well. Old fashioned New Orleans veterans might say this area is hit or miss because of times past, but they are mistaken and it's changed and totally gentrified now.

This is a very nice and safe area with great neighbors. No shady people. I prefer it to the Marginy because the Bywater has a great vibe and community, it is quieter and more laid back and further from all the tourists on Frenchman street. You are still very much in walking/biking distance to everything you need this side of the Quarter. The Bywater is very up and coming. We have a few new businesses popping up like the Shake Sugary and St Coffee and such, as well as places like Bacchanal and The Joint and Satsuma which have been around for a little while.

The majority of people consider St Claude street to be somewhat of a dividing line and everything above it is more dangerous and should be avoided, especially at night. The only incident we have had is my roommate had her bike stolen in front of our house. But it was an expensive bike and she shouldn't of left it outside. That could have happened anywhere in New Orleans.

You come to the Bywater. It might look a little rough around the edges at first cuz that's how most of New Orleans can seem. This isn't snooty uptown. Once you are here the Bywater will start to grow on you real quick and you will soon realize that everyone who lives here is very agreeable and nice and you will feel perfectly safe and at home.
Spot on

Old 10-10-2011, 05:17 PM

98 posts, read 260,327 times
I walk through the area all of the time, well day time, and it is really cool. It is lacking a food market, at least in walking distance or affordable, which to me means I can spend a little more for rent and be closer to a wider selection of groceries, but I have no car.

Safe, yes, cool, yes, quiet, yes, out of the way, yes.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:13 PM

26 posts, read 129,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allcladrad View Post
I walk through the area all of the time, well day time, and it is really cool. It is lacking a food market, at least in walking distance or affordable, which to me means I can spend a little more for rent and be closer to a wider selection of groceries, but I have no car.

Safe, yes, cool, yes, quiet, yes, out of the way, yes.

Did you see they just opened the New Orleans Food Coop? I haven't been yet but have been stalking their pics on Facebook and can't wait to check it out. One of my friends went a couple of days ago and said it was great. I'd post a link but I don't think we're allowed.

Here's the addy though: 2372 St. Claude Avenue, Suite 110, New Orleans, LA 70117

Old 05-31-2014, 09:58 PM

20 posts, read 53,327 times
I live in the Upper 9th Ward, and wish the city would incorporate this neighborhood into the Bywater. Some say the houses aren't all that historically significant, but it's really a mix. There are some really old shotgun houses. I see lots of hipsters, most of whom are transplants. They were probably here during Katrina and have met partners, had babies, and decided to raise families here.

The St. Roch Market has been undergoing renovation, and as yet hasn't opened. Residents really need fresh food and veggies that are affordable. The St. Claude Healing Center opened a couple of years ago, but is pricey--comparable to Whole Foods. It is located closer to the Marigny where housing and incomes are higher.

One problem I find with the Upper 9th is the roosters all over who crow anytime, not just mornings. They're a nuisance, and even though most residents complain, the city won't do anything about them. They belong on a farm, not in an urban area.

The areas of Bywater and Treme are labeled "cool." Now that the neighborhood is "hot" I'm selling and moving before gentrification takes over and the neighborhoods lose their originality.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:59 PM

797 posts, read 1,222,351 times
The Bywater is apart of the Upper 9th Ward, though the rest of the Upper 9th Ward lake side of St. Claude is not the Bywater and to me that makes sense. There are also plans to open a Roberts, a full size grocery, at St. Claude and Elysian Fields.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:45 AM

41 posts, read 50,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy writer View Post
One problem I find with the Upper 9th is the roosters all over who crow anytime, not just mornings. They're a nuisance, and even though most residents complain, the city won't do anything about them. They belong on a farm, not in an urban area.
Bywater is starting to get wild chickens too, at least in the non-trendy area north of St. Claude where I live. People here get them and don't bother to build a pen for them, so they run around free and turn wild pretty quickly. There used to be a big flock of chickens living on the abandoned property next to mine until I solved that problem with an air rifle. Finger-lickin' good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans