U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-11-2011, 05:02 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,589 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm currently evaluating a job offer for New Orleans and am curious about what my living options would be. The actual job is located at the NASA Michoud Assembly Facility, so it'd have to be a feasible commute to get there. I currently live in Seattle and commute about 60 miles a day. I'm hoping for something that's not as bad as that.

I'm 29, single, and while I'm not incredibly outgoing it would be nice to be close to cool things. I don't really wanna spend more than $1000/mo (and less would be nice) but I could spend up to $1200. I'm already a Saints fan (grew up in Mississippi) so anywhere with feasible public transportation to the Superdome would be cool too but probably not a dealbreaker.

Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-11-2011, 05:56 PM
 
Location: New Orleans
2,311 posts, read 4,387,082 times
Reputation: 1442
Slidell is going to be the closest nice area to Michoud, and I think you should be able to find a fairly nice place for less than $1000. There's that seven mile bridge to cross just to get into the city limits, but your total commute would probably be 10-15 miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2011, 07:42 PM
 
Location: Denver
14,343 posts, read 20,775,930 times
Reputation: 9223
Since your not going into the CBD for work, the traffic shouldn't be as bad from Slidell either. Public transportation is out from Slidell to the CBD for games but you're set once you're there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2011, 07:07 AM
 
Location: Metairie, LA
1,087 posts, read 1,991,894 times
Reputation: 1448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Slidell is going to be the closest nice area to Michoud, and I think you should be able to find a fairly nice place for less than $1000. There's that seven mile bridge to cross just to get into the city limits, but your total commute would probably be 10-15 miles.
Slidell is twice as far from Michoud as downtown New Orleans. You might be thinking of Stennis Space Center in Mississippi.

I wouldn't even consider Slidell unless you had a few kids and funds were tight. You're 29, single and you going to want to hang out in the city. There are lots of cool neighborhoods to choose from depending on what you're looking for. You would have an easy commute (<10mi) from Gentilly, Mid-City, Faubourg St. John or the Marigny/Bywater.

The best public transit to the Superdome is going to be the Canal Streetcar. There are also some bus lines in these neighborhoods, but most of them might only run every 60-90 minutes, so you would have to plan ahead. I think the Broad St/Gentilly Rd bus is the only one that's pretty frequent.

Uptown is a good area as well, but the commute to Michoud is going to be a little longer and more difficult. The St. Charles streetcar and Magazine St. bus are pretty frequent and can get you down to the dome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2011, 10:39 AM
 
Location: New Orleans
2,311 posts, read 4,387,082 times
Reputation: 1442
Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
Slidell is twice as far from Michoud as downtown New Orleans. You might be thinking of Stennis Space Center in Mississippi.

I wouldn't even consider Slidell unless you had a few kids and funds were tight. You're 29, single and you going to want to hang out in the city. There are lots of cool neighborhoods to choose from depending on what you're looking for. You would have an easy commute (<10mi) from Gentilly, Mid-City, Faubourg St. John or the Marigny/Bywater.

The best public transit to the Superdome is going to be the Canal Streetcar. There are also some bus lines in these neighborhoods, but most of them might only run every 60-90 minutes, so you would have to plan ahead. I think the Broad St/Gentilly Rd bus is the only one that's pretty frequent.

Uptown is a good area as well, but the commute to Michoud is going to be a little longer and more difficult. The St. Charles streetcar and Magazine St. bus are pretty frequent and can get you down to the dome.
No, I know where Michoud is. It might be that I'm just tired of hearing gunshots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2011, 06:46 PM
 
3 posts, read 7,729 times
Reputation: 10
Default Looking for Location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish Stevens View Post
Hi all,

I'm currently evaluating a job offer for New Orleans and am curious about what my living options would be. The actual job is located at the NASA Michoud Assembly Facility, so it'd have to be a feasible commute to get there. I currently live in Seattle and commute about 60 miles a day. I'm hoping for something that's not as bad as that.

I'm 29, single, and while I'm not incredibly outgoing it would be nice to be close to cool things. I don't really wanna spend more than $1000/mo (and less would be nice) but I could spend up to $1200. I'm already a Saints fan (grew up in Mississippi) so anywhere with feasible public transportation to the Superdome would be cool too but probably not a dealbreaker.

Thanks for any advice.

You could look in the Lakeview area of New Orleans or if you want to stay on the out skirts you could look in Jefferson (Metairie) or St. Tammany (Slidell-LaCombe-Mandeville-Convington) or St. Bernard Parish.

If all elso doesn't look good, you can try and get a condo on the warehouse district in the CBD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:35 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top