U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 08:51 PM

7 posts, read 15,882 times

Advertisements

Need some information regarding a possible relocation to NOLA from Detroit, MI. I have 2 young girls and wife. We are a bi-racial couple, she's white and I'm black. Need information on where to live a diverse neighborhood/community, I've heard of this Northshore area, was that area hit by Katrina? Some folks that live up here in the North said that Covington, LA or Mandeville, LA have a great community and good schools and it's across the Lake, what are your thoughts?

Last edited by scoopmittens; 08-22-2007 at 09:29 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 09:44 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,239,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopmittens View Post
Need some information regarding a possible relocation to NOLA from Detroit, MI. I have 2 young girls and wife. We are a bi-racial couple, she's white and I'm black. Need information on where to live a diverse neighborhood/community, I've heard of this Northshore area, was that area hit by Katrina? Some folks that live up here in the North said that Covington, LA or Mandeville, LA have a great community and good schools and it's across the Lake, what are your thoughts?
Couple of thoughts:

(1) Slidell got hit with storm surge
(2) The cities further west, like Mandeville/Covington/Abita Springs/Madisonville, got wind damage, but has recovered. And on balance has more affluent subdivisions than Slidell, which is more like "St Bernard Parish North"
(3) While I like the Mandeville/Covington area, you will have more congestion and higher home prices. But a more congenial atmosphere.

Are you working directly in NO, though ? The drive across the Causeway (about 25 miles of open water) is pretty tough, from what I've heard.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:46 AM

2,140 posts, read 7,622,115 times
I used to live in Metairie close to the entrance to the Causeway bridge. I couldn't imagine driving across that bridge every day to get to work, which many people who live on the Northshore do. The Northshore is nice; it's woodsy and looks very different than Jefferson Parish, New Orleans and the other parishes. Metairie is nice and very close to the city..you may want to check it out. Kenner is another option.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:16 AM

7 posts, read 15,882 times
Cool NOLA...Moving to

So Jefferson Parish, hit by the storm??? how bad verus Northshore??

I will be working in New Orleans near the Superdome and working for the "Tigers" of NO, if that gives you a hint. Still need recommendations of where to live with BI-RACIAL FAMILY...is that taboo down there because up here in Michigan, it's not. Please help with a search for family oriented city in New Orleans area. Driving the bridge is not an issue, just need a safe place to live with good neighbors, and good schools.

Any help would be most benefical.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:10 PM

4 posts, read 15,820 times
My advise is for your whole family to take a weekend or a week vacation down to NO. While your there you can look around and see which part would suit your family's needs better. I have only been to the French Quarters, I live in Mississippi. But My sister in law grew up in NO. She actually still owns a few places down there. I think she told me that the North part is very good for a family. But anyways good luck!!!!!!!

Old 08-26-2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopmittens View Post
So Jefferson Parish, hit by the storm??? how bad verus Northshore??

I will be working in New Orleans near the Superdome and working for the "Tigers" of NO, if that gives you a hint. Still need recommendations of where to live with BI-RACIAL FAMILY...is that taboo down there because up here in Michigan, it's not. Please help with a search for family oriented city in New Orleans area. Driving the bridge is not an issue, just need a safe place to live with good neighbors, and good schools.

Any help would be most benefical.
Jeff Parish was hit with wind and flooding (no levee breaks, though). But is rapidly recovering.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:25 AM

70 posts, read 285,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
Slidell, which is more like "St Bernard Parish North"
More like the new New Orleans East. We moved from Slidell a year ago and went back recently to check out what was once a nice neighborhood. YUCK!

Old 08-28-2007, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
More like the new New Orleans East. We moved from Slidell a year ago and went back recently to check out what was once a nice neighborhood. YUCK!
I wonder if everything up to I-12 (where the storm surge hit) is being sold on the cheap, which would explain why Slidell is changing.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:37 AM

177 posts, read 767,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
I wonder if everything up to I-12 (where the storm surge hit) is being sold on the cheap, which would explain why Slidell is changing.
No, not really. It's more that some of the undesireables were chased out of NO into Slidell.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:49 AM

3 posts, read 6,187 times
Unhappy To New Orleans

Take 2 Wk Vac, First
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans