U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2011, 03:53 PM

8,115 posts, read 18,658,923 times

Advertisements

Thanks in advance for indulging me in this "dream scenario".

Let’s say there is a “young” 50ish couple arriving in New Orleans around 2020. She is a New Orleans native who has lived out of the area for about 20 years but has visited from time to time. He has lived in and around Philly and joined his lady in an urbanized DC suburb. She will be newly retired while he will be working from home. They will have been to NOLA together several times, their first visit being in Christmas 2006.

While she would be content in a suburb like Metairie, she is willing to concede to his preferences in order to get back “home”. He would like to live in the city so he could enjoy a walkable neighborhood with interesting restaurants and shops along with reasonable bus/streetcar access.

From personal research - and perusing threads on City-Data - he first determined that neighborhoods between St.Charles Ave. and Magazine St. (e.g. Lower Garden District, Uptown) would be best for a walkable lifestyle although there is still a concern about crime (mostly for the sake of his lady) and secure parking. He also started learning more on City-Data about the Carrollton and Riverbend areas and thought this might be another place to consider. They have spent a little time in Uptown/LGD but have yet to explore Carrollton/Riverbend.

They would be comfortable enough in a 2BR apt or "shotgun" house for preferably $1200 (in today's dollars). He is aware that housing is expensive due to low supply.FWIW, let’s also say that they are an interracial couple (black male, white female).

Would you say that this couple is on the right track? What other suggestions would you have for them?

Last edited by FindingZen; 10-16-2011 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: I meant to say 2006 rather than 2005.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 04:09 PM

14,453 posts, read 20,953,368 times
..visit the city and explore which neighborhoods they are looking for. Other than that, everything sounds great.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:55 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,407,376 times
When I first started college, I would spend a large amount of time fantasizing about being in a walkable, charming neighborhood in New Orleans. It took me until I was 26 to actually get there (Riverbend), and I'm now 28 and own property in Mid-City. So I had a similar dream, and it came true; I couldn't be happier.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:39 AM

Thank you both for your thoughts!

Old 10-25-2011, 12:56 PM

98 posts, read 260,487 times
Tone509,
I have been meaning to contact you, but was going to give it until the first of the year. I have only been here for 3 1/2 months so far.

Two things, Algiers Point seems like it might fit your needs and is worth a serious look and number two is, what are your day to day plans. What type of activities do you like. Being retired is a lot different than 9 to 5. I would suggest you guys have a "What are we going to spend our retirement time doing?" plan first, then adapt it to where you want to retire.

The summer here was very hot with little or no let up, inside it is Aircon, fan or sweat. Outside, sweat is the only option. I have been through only one cold front, but you are probably ok with that.

A Plan B is good to have as well.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allcladrad View Post
Tone509,
I have been meaning to contact you, but was going to give it until the first of the year. I have only been here for 3 1/2 months so far.

Two things, Algiers Point seems like it might fit your needs and is worth a serious look and number two is, what are your day to day plans. What type of activities do you like. Being retired is a lot different than 9 to 5. I would suggest you guys have a "What are we going to spend our retirement time doing?" plan first, then adapt it to where you want to retire.

The summer here was very hot with little or no let up, inside it is Aircon, fan or sweat. Outside, sweat is the only option. I have been through only one cold front, but you are probably ok with that.

A Plan B is good to have as well.
Thank you, I'll have to look into Algiers Point. Why does that area appeal to you?

I've been down there for a few days in June and realized that things were just getting warmed up, so to speak. It would be a true test of my willingness to endure hot, humid summers in exchange for a virtual elimination of winter.

The lady would likely be relaxing at home, visiting old friends in the area and perhaps volunteering. I would be still working, albeit from home, and would prefer a walkable neighborhood with interesting places to eat and (window) shop as well as convenient transit access to the CBD/Warehouse/French Quarter when necessary. We anticipate traveling regularly although it's not necessary to be "next door" to MSY.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:59 PM

98 posts, read 260,487 times
Tone509,
Algiers Point, to me, is quaint, quiet and not just a typical neighborhood, a condensed French Quarter, having just the residential part. Still,only arms length from FQ, CBD, Marigny and Bywater.

Travel is one of my criteria as well and for US travel MSY is just okay. Foreign travel transits through either Houston, Atlanta or Miami.

I came here from a hot humid climate, mid 90s temps, high 90s humidity, in mid July and was okay.

You two have plenty of time, so think about a month vacation in July, January and October, in that order, and then make your decision. Remember, you guys will be in a position where, if you make a mistake, it will be both fixable and fun.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:45 AM

Thanks, allcladrad. Lots of stuff to think about...and certainly plenty of time to do so.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:19 AM

Talking with my native NO lady, I was surprised to hear her say that she would be open to Mid-City. From her description, it's a somewhat gritty, working-class area that is affordable and reasonably safe by NO/typical urban standards. And of course, there is the famous Mid-City Rock 'n' Bowl! I'm on board with the idea, pending a more in-depth visit. Any thoughts?

Old 11-22-2011, 05:27 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,407,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Talking with my native NO lady, I was surprised to hear her say that she would be open to Mid-City. From her description, it's a somewhat gritty, working-class area that is affordable and reasonably safe by NO/typical urban standards. And of course, there is the famous Mid-City Rock 'n' Bowl! I'm on board with the idea, pending a more in-depth visit. Any thoughts?
I live in Mid-City, and have for a little over 8 months. It does have its issues with crime, but it has taken me this long to get over just how nice everyone is in this 'hood. At first I tought it was some kind of giant scam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans