Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 02:01 PM

3 posts, read 8,649 times

Advertisements

Trying to decide if I should move out to Nola for a job. I'm looking for possible neighborhoods to move into and I'm seeking some advice. I'm a young professional who would like to live in a thriving area. I do not have a car so I need a neighborhood with good public transportation. Job is in the 200 block of Decatur St- I think that in the French Quarters with later hours.
Living in close proximity to transportation, grocery stores, and some type of walgreens/target would be nice. I'm moving from Chicago so I'm use to city living. If you could also include with your suggestions what the average rent for a 1 bedroom is in that neighborhood that also be appreciated. Thank you again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 05:12 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
I think $700-$1500 in the Quarter, including studios and efficiencies. I don't know where the closest grocery store is. You're close to both streetcar lines and the third will go up Loyola and N Rampart and then over to Elysian Fields somehow.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:24 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,751 times
There is a Rouses Grocery and a few drug stores in the Quarter, but there are no Target stores in New Orleans.

The St. Charles Ave. and Canal St. Streetcars are your best bet for public transportation. They are reasonably frequent and run late at night, although the St. Charles line has more tourist riders which can slow things down. Most of the bus lines are not frequent at all. Some lines only come by every 90 minutes or so. There are a few good ones, though. The Magazine St. and the Broad St. bus lines run run pretty frequently until midnight.

If you're going to be car-less, then I would definitely recommend getting a bike. This will make your life a lot easier as most places you need to go are within a mile or two.

The Quarter is going to have a lot of tourist traffic and can be a little rowdy in some areas, this might be your thing and it might not. The more residential areas are away from Canal St. toward Esplanade Ave. The Marigny is just across Esplanade Ave. from the quarter and is also worth a look.

If you can't find anything in the Quarter or the Marigny area that you like or you want something a little quieter, look for something along St. Charles Ave or Magazine St. You'll still be in a reasonably safe walkable area with plenty of stores and restaurants. You can also look along Canal St between Jeff Davis Pkwy. and City Park Ave. Either way, you'll have easy access to Downtown on the streetcar or bus.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:04 AM

3 posts, read 8,649 times
thank you for all of the info. I really appreciate it. I'm surprised about the buses and some of them taking 90 mins to show up! I guess I'm spoiled with the Chicago transit authority. I have a bike which i'll be bringing with me. I go down on Friday for a very quick trip- I'm sure I'll have more questions after that!

Old 11-07-2011, 08:11 AM

483 posts, read 886,448 times
If you live in the city of Chicago and are thinking of moving to the city of New Orleans, you're in for a huge disappointment. The CTA is second to none, and Chicago is an extremely clean city for it's size. You're going to the opposite end of the spectrum here. The locals will defend their city; but I've been to both cities numerous times. You might want to reconsider. A coworker of mine from Chicago recently went to New Orleans and pretty much had the same opinions I have of it: filthy/dirty, crime ridden, etc. His words, not mine, to describe it: "a big ghetto".

Old 11-07-2011, 09:17 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA2000TL View Post
If you live in the city of Chicago and are thinking of moving to the city of New Orleans, you're in for a huge disappointment. The CTA is second to none, and Chicago is an extremely clean city for it's size. You're going to the opposite end of the spectrum here. The locals will defend their city; but I've been to both cities numerous times. You might want to reconsider. A coworker of mine from Chicago recently went to New Orleans and pretty much had the same opinions I have of it: filthy/dirty, crime ridden, etc. His words, not mine, to describe it: "a big ghetto".
Oh and I heard someone who had once knew someone who went to Chicago. He said it was all ghetto. See what I did there?

Old 11-07-2011, 02:32 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,034,738 times
I'd say if you can stomach Chicago you can stomach New Orleans, and vice versa. I think they both have a lot of grit to their charm, and certainly parts to avoid.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:13 AM

483 posts, read 886,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA2000TL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Oh and I heard someone who had once knew someone who went to Chicago. He said it was all ghetto. See what I did there?
Yep; but since I didn't hear from somenoe who once knew someone and have actually been to both cities numerous times, this is not the case.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:03 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,947,089 times
Don't let JR discourage you. Why he's even posting on here is beyond me.

New Orleans has its share of ups and downs, sure, but if you feel you're ready for a change, give it a shot.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:58 AM

129 posts, read 316,782 times
He's posting here because he wants to get out of Daphne, AL! Wouldn't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: