Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 03:13 PM

19 posts, read 71,292 times

Advertisements

You will either love the people, charm, and laid back lifestyle of New Orleans, or you will think it's charm is not worth the poor schools, crime, and New Orleans mentality of "that's just the way things are" ---If you move here, you will understand what that means

I love New Orleans, do not want to live anywhere else, but wanted to give you a realistic picture of what you would be facing here by moving.[/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 05:48 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,047,348 times
will NOLA ever progress to be a major metro again like Atlanta or Houston or even Miami or Tampa

Old 06-29-2009, 08:22 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,299,326 times
No, not like that...and none of us want New Orleans to be like Atlanta or Houston. If we just take care of the crime and be ourselves that's all anyone really wants.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:38 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
will NOLA ever progress to be a major metro again like Atlanta or Houston or even Miami or Tampa
No. Most major companies would not even consider a move there because of the "risks". We'll be lucky if we can ever get started on the Trump Tower.

But I'm with Prytania. Atlanta and Houston both seem too big for their
own good. New Orleans would be great if only they could take care of the crime and the schools.

New Orleans had many days in the sun. I guess it's only fair that other cities get a shot, too.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:08 AM

I think we are in the sun now. We don't have to conform to be like anyone else...
There are a few good technology start ups in town, the city is attracting the best and brightest of 20 somethings with undergrad and graduate degrees. The unemployment rate is far lower than the national avg. right now
And we aren't a sprawling mess with a traffic problem from hell.

We don't have to compete with anyone, we just have to find within ourselves the best of who we are.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
I think we are in the sun now. We don't have to conform to be like anyone else...
There are a few good technology start ups in town, the city is attracting the best and brightest of 20 somethings with undergrad and graduate degrees. The unemployment rate is far lower than the national avg. right now
And we aren't a sprawling mess with a traffic problem from hell.

We don't have to compete with anyone, we just have to find within ourselves the best of who we are.
By days in the sun...I meant days when it was put on a pedestal by nearly all (like Atlanta and Houston seem to be now).

I 100% agree that New Orleans is better than those two...but unfortunately we are a minority.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:38 PM

But I don't think so...
I've been to Atlanta often, if no culture, traffic jams and crushing unemployment is ideal...then by all means....
New Orleans hasn't been top dog since the 1850s....but Charleston is regarded to have a good quality of life, and is much smaller than New Orleans.
And don't underestimate the 20-30 yr old vote in the city next year.
EngageNOLA
504Ward

Old 06-30-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
But I don't think so...
I've been to Atlanta often, if no culture, traffic jams and crushing unemployment is ideal...then by all means....
New Orleans hasn't been top dog since the 1850s....but Charleston is regarded to have a good quality of life, and is much smaller than New Orleans.
And don't underestimate the 20-30 yr old vote in the city next year.
EngageNOLA
504Ward

I'm not talking about the New Orleanians here.

I'm talking about the majority of young people elsewhere. With all this Katrina nonsense and idiotic criminal on criminal crime + Stupid American media manipulating events to suit their own agenda = A New Orleans that is not percieved as being a good placeto live by most impressional young people who don't know what New Orleans is about and what it means to be a New Orleanian.

The good part is that you, me, and about 1.2 million other people know different.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:13 AM

But I am saying there are a TON of new young professionals in the city as well as Tulane finds itself overwhelmed with applications.

That's what I am saying...in the midst of this economy, and in a post Katrina world...New Orleans for the time being anyhow, is the "cool" place for 20 somethings so dont underestimate that in the next election.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:35 AM

22 posts, read 92,116 times
My best friend and I are moving down in 9 days. We're both from Tennessee. Although I've lived in Baton Rouge, I never lived in New Orleans but always wanted to since I was a child. My friend has never lived in Louisiana and never been to New Orleans. We spent about a week in the city searching for a place to live and found one. Upon leaving, my friend literally yelled out the car window, "I love New Orleans!!!!" We both have college degrees and are optimistic that New Orleans is the place we will call home for a long, long time.

I think Prytania is right--by young people, it is viewed as a cool place to live. When my sister visited last year for a psychology conference with several of her graduate school friends, they all came back declaring their love for the city and wanted to move down. Heck, even my grandparents, who have visited NO many times, both post and pre Katrina, are very excited for me and said as soon as I get settled in, they are coming to visit. I haven't even moved yet, and I have a huge list of folks who have already claimed my couch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans