U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2011, 03:06 PM

208 posts, read 374,394 times

Advertisements

Hello New Orleans Natives, Connoisseurs, and Fans,

In approximately, pre-Katrina 2005, I remember a seeing a post on this board or the General U.S. Forum about boarding houses or rooming houses in or near downtown. I believe the thread may have been posted by a woman doing business in New Orleans and dealt in large part, with one such place, in particular, its safety, affordability, etc. Sorry, the name "boarding" or "rooming house" may be outdated. What I'm talking about is a large building, divided up into many single rooms, which are for rent on a monthly basis. Rent in these places is usually lower than the monthly cost of a hotel and lower than apartments or rental houses.

They're generally regarded as temporary housing for people who are perhaps, doing business in the area of a duration too lengthy to make a hotel stay viable or someone moving to the area and needing to have a presence in the city in order to find a job, looking for more permanent housing and getting acclimated to the cost of living.

I seem to recall that I got a favorable impression of the building being discussed and so, it would be nice to be able to find and re-read the thread but my main interest is finding out whether such places do still exist in numbers large enough that one might likely find a vacancy at any given point in time. Also, a ballpark estimate of applicable rental rates would be great.

Thanks in advance for anything you may be able to tell me. All responses will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 05:16 PM

14,343 posts, read 20,775,930 times
Figured somebody would have answered by now.. sorry bud.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Figured somebody would have answered by now.. sorry bud.
No problem, really. I've noticed that this particular forum often moves in short bursts, with long periods of relative inactivity. You may have noticed that, though my thread didn't attract any posts, it also didn't move down much on the list - just not much posting going on here. Could be folks were out enjoying the weekend and will be posting more frequently once the week begins.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:38 PM

It's generally slow in this forum but there are a few good locals who post frequently.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
It's generally slow in this forum but there are a few good locals who post frequently.
Yes, I've noticed that there are some regulars who are very knowledgeable and passionate about all things, New Orleans.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:06 AM

Yea. Good guys.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:43 AM

19,866 posts, read 58,371,867 times
But still no answers. Maybe b/c they live there and have guests stay with them? Anyway, google B&Bs, hostels, and give some addresses - locals can at least tell you if the area is decent.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
But still no answers. Maybe b/c they live there and have guests stay with them? Anyway, google B&Bs, hostels, and give some addresses - locals can at least tell you if the area is decent.
Thanks, SouthernBelleInUtah,

Some of the B&Bs I researched pre-Katrina had surprisingly reasonable rates, even during peak seasons, but not low enough for a long-term stay. I didn't think of hostels but I don't know that they would be open to long-term stays. Also, my limited knowledge of hostels makes me think that their accommodations and amenities might be a little too communal for me, especially for a duration of three to eighteen months. I will look into them more closely, though.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 4,166 times
Has anyone answered this as of yet. I'm in a similar position and looking for a boarding house or rooming arrangements.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:20 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,387,082 times
There is a hostel on Carondelet near Jackson, forgot the name. Here in Mid-City there is also India House. A while back I was looking at a more traditional "boarding house", but I can't remember its exact location or what it was called. Sorry, that's all I've got. As SouthernBelle said, if you google "hostel New Orleans" you should be able to find a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans