U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2011, 12:32 AM

58,556 posts, read 77,475,915 times

Advertisements

the flooding is not keeping the tourists away nor the lack of amusements. its the safety factor, the elephant in the living room we dont talk about.
a former new orleans resident
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 12:54 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,391,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the flooding is not keeping the tourists away nor the lack of amusements. its the safety factor, the elephant in the living room we dont talk about.
a former new orleans resident
Well that's not keeping them out of the cemeteries or the lakeside fringes of the Quarter. If there was actual stuff for them to do around Claiborne they'd be there. It doesn't seem to be clouding the buzz around the greenway either. Bourbon and the lower end of Canal have proven themselves to be more dangerous than that stretch of Claiborne. Of course, there isn't anything on N. Claiborne until you get below Orleans.

Just look at Freret a couple years ago and look at it now.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:09 PM

So rumor has it that Traçage is back on and that the Riverwalk is up for redevelopment.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:31 PM

14,363 posts, read 20,802,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
So rumor has it that Traçage is back on and that the Riverwalk is up for redevelopment.
Where did you see news about Tracage?

About the Riverwalk, what would you, personally, want to see? Are there any proposals?

Old 12-20-2011, 08:44 PM

The Joy Theater reopens | News | Gambit New Orleans News and Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Where did you see news about Tracage?

About the Riverwalk, what would you, personally, want to see? Are there any proposals?
Just word of mouth, nothing specific.
As far Riverwalk, I think that it needs to attract locals. It mainly caters to tourist, but it's like in the "duck off", only having crowds during major event weekends and when cruise ships roll up. I'd like to see it fill the void left by the New Orleans Centre and the Plaza, during their better days). I don't know anyone who doesn't hate having to go to Jefferson Parish to spend money unless they already live over there. I say make it competitive with Lakeside, add a parking deck with validated parking and I don't see why people won't come.

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 12-20-2011 at 08:58 PM..

Old 12-20-2011, 09:07 PM

Would love to go see a show in the Joy.

Is Canal Place used enough? I've only been once but it was nearly empty. A constantly busy shopping mall would be good for that end of Canal though.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Is Canal Place used enough? I've only been once but it was nearly empty. A constantly busy shopping mall would be good for that end of Canal though.
Before Katrina, Shops at Canal Place was on the same level as the 2nd floor of the Galleria. Gucci, Burberry, etc. are no longer there, but it's still more on the high-end side. I wish that there was more mainstream stuff available in that area. The entire corridor from the upper Covention Center and lower Tchoupitoulas all the way down to Wal-Mart is untapped IMO.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Before Katrina, Shops at Canal Place was on the same level as the 2nd floor of the Galleria. Gucci, Burberry, etc. are no longer there, but it's still more on the high-end side. I wish that there was more mainstream stuff available in that area. The entire corridor from the upper Covention Center and lower Tchoupitoulas all the way down to Wal-Mart is untapped IMO.
I remember the higher end places, and I do think the Riverwalk should be more mainstream and middle class, like Memorial City mall.
Again, I'd agree, that corridor is overlooked.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
I remember the higher end places, and I do think the Riverwalk should be more mainstream and middle class, like Memorial City mall.
Again, I'd agree, that corridor is overlooked.
I even think that one of those urban shopping centers that they have in places like New York, Boston, L.A., etc. would be cool with anchors like TJ Maxx and Home Goods.

Another thing I think could work here would be programs like CarShare or ZipCar, although on a smaller scale.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
I even think that one of those urban shopping centers that they have in places like New York, Boston, L.A., etc. would be cool with anchors like TJ Maxx and Home Goods.

Another thing I think could work here would be programs like CarShare or ZipCar, although on a smaller scale.
Something like this?:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or