U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 05:19 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,415,818 times

Advertisements

As far as the whole Covington, New Orleans East debate.

1. Covington has 1 zip code that covers an area much larger than the City of Covington itself. New Orleans East consist of 4 small zip codes and one large zip code that covers mostly wetland. Numbers already skewed, plus the obvious demographic difference that's going to affect per capita income.

2. Most of New Orleans East empted out after 2005. The money that was there made it's way to Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Los Angeles, and New York for the most part and laid roots. One would be misinformed to think that there wasn't and still isn't big money in The East, it just so happens that The East is more diverse on the socio-economic scale.

3. Compare the cost of 5 bedrooms on the Northshore to 5 bedrooms on the Southshore. Factor in insurance and and the general cost of living. I wouldn't be surprised if 2-3 bedrooms on this side = 5 bedrooms on that side.

Another thing that caught my attention, although sad, but. Most native New Orleanians are not going to consider someone from the Northshore as being from New Orleans. They're in some ways, but very different culturally. In reality the Northshore plays a very important role to and is very much a part of the Greater New Orleans Metro. It's actually funny because "Metry" natives seem to hate Northshore people just as much. I've heard so many "blow up the Causeway" jokes that I don't even find them funny anymore. Still, it's a very different world across that lake. I'll admit that I find the Northshore more appealing since the influx of people from "Da Parish" migrated that way.
Should I keep going? I really don't feel like it, but I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 05:31 PM

2,192 posts, read 6,433,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
But there's a big difference between being in the Desire, Florida and St. Claude than being in Lake Forest, Eastover, or Michoud. The East is a big place, but people act like it's Central City or somewhere. There are some bad spots in The East, the parts west of Crowder come to mind as well as some of the areas below Dwyer, but these are nowhere near the worst areas in the city. There are large portions of The East that are no different from large areas of Metairie, Kenner, and Gretna. It amazes me how people write off an entire area and most of them have never set foot in an 1/8 of it. The Westbank suffers the same problem and so does Gentilly to an extent.

I'm from Uptown, l've lived on the Westbank, and I've been back on the Eastbank for about 3 years. It amazes me at the questions that I get from people on the Northshore, places like LaPlace and Destrehan, and to a lesser extent Jefferson Parish about my safety and the conditions that come with living in New Orleans. It's not an everyday thing, but some of the questions are so stupid and far from the truth that it's beyond irritating. I've lived in some the some of the roughest parts of the city as well as some of the nicest.

"But there's a big difference between being in the Desire, Florida and St. Claude than being in Lake Forest, Eastover, or Michoud."

Yes the difference is in Desire, Florida, u know they are on the Westbank? and St' Claude and the East is night and day?

"The East is a big place, but people act like it's Central City or somewhere."
Well with all the murders it sure looks like it.

"There are some bad spots in The East, the parts west of Crowder come to mind as well as some of the areas below Dwyer, but these are nowhere near the worst areas in the city. There are large portions of The East that are no different from large areas of Metairie, Kenner, and Gretna."

BS show me the same murder count for these areas

It amazes me how people write off an entire area and most of them have never set foot in an 1/8 of it. The Westbank suffers the same problem and so does Gentilly to an extent.

Why?
Well I set foot in all of these areas everyday and can tell you that you don't have a clue.

wanta come ride with me and I will show u

Old 12-02-2011, 05:34 PM

2,192 posts, read 6,433,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
As far as the whole Covington, New Orleans East debate.

1. Covington has 1 zip code that covers an area much larger than the City of Covington itself. New Orleans East consist of 4 small zip codes and one large zip code that covers mostly wetland. Numbers already skewed, plus the obvious demographic difference that's going to affect per capita income.

2. Most of New Orleans East empted out after 2005. The money that was there made it's way to Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Los Angeles, and New York for the most part and laid roots. One would be misinformed to think that there wasn't and still isn't big money in The East, it just so happens that The East is more diverse on the socio-economic scale.

3. Compare the cost of 5 bedrooms on the Northshore to 5 bedrooms on the Southshore. Factor in insurance and and the general cost of living. I wouldn't be surprised if 2-3 bedrooms on this side = 5 bedrooms on that side.

Another thing that caught my attention, although sad, but. Most native New Orleanians are not going to consider someone from the Northshore as being from New Orleans. They're in some ways, but very different culturally. In reality the Northshore plays a very important role to and is very much a part of the Greater New Orleans Metro. It's actually funny because "Metry" natives seem to hate Northshore people just as much. I've heard so many "blow up the Causeway" jokes that I don't even find them funny anymore. Still, it's a very different world across that lake. I'll admit that I find the Northshore more appealing since the influx of people from "Da Parish" migrated that way.
Should I keep going? I really don't feel like it, but I can.
Yes please keep going and try and back up your BS with facts

Old 12-02-2011, 05:54 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,404,505 times
Westbank, I usually agree with you, but this is just getting silly.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:23 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,415,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
Yes please keep going and try and back up your BS with facts
Let's see, I said that New Orleans East wasn't a total warzone.
Is this good enough for you? Metro New Orleans Crime Map - NOLA.com

What else did I say? That a lot of the money out there left? Umm yeah it did. A large diaspora of well off African Americans went to Atlanta, Houston, etc. by choice after the storm and didn't bother coming back.

Now you comparing this St. Claude and Desire to this Read Blvd East.... Umm, yeah. Like I said, it's a big difference between The Upper 9th Ward and a good portion of New Orleans East.

So me stating that there's a large demographic difference between N.O.E. and Covington is BS? Like I'm lost, seriously. Help me out. Was it when I said that it's much cheaper to live over there? But isn't it though? Was it the socio-economic thing? I mean N.O.E. has both wealthy and it has poor, so that can't be it. There are plenty of New Orleanians who have a disdain for the Northshore, it even comes out on this forum sometime so that can't be it. Talk to anyone in Metairie about traffic, see who they blame and start ranting about. Those "damn people from across the causeway". Go read some traffic comments on the Times-Picayune site, where the lovely residents of suburban New Orleans love to express themselves. Ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Westbank, I usually agree with you, but this is just getting silly.

Median income for The East as of 2009
median household income: $48,004
median home value: $172,643
poverty rate: 14.8%

$34,168
$131,875
23.8%

$33,981
$145,453
15.5%

70126 (which also includes Desire, and the upper 9th ward)
$34,279
$139,959
20.0%

70118 (Garden District/Audobon/Black Pearl)
$44,524
$207,479
22.0%

70115 (Uptown)
$44,184
$316,754
24.2%

Now see, according to this one of the Zip codes in The East has a higher median income than two of the zip codes that house the cities wealthiest residents... Yeah, that proved a lot, not. On top of that we know that there was big income drop in the area east of Bullard Ave after the storm. Do you think that area would have been able to support the big box stores, a mall, and movie theater if there was no income out there? Most people's perception of The East came from the image of HANO apartments that lined the interstate. The mall died, we know that. We also know that it died because people didn't want to be around the "HANO culture". Now Gretna, Terrytown, and Kenner appear to be fairly wealthy/healthy, but Esplanade and Oakwood are dying without the thugs.

Let's see, if 3 people live on a block, one makes $90,000 the other two make $10,000 and $20,000. The median income on that block will be $40,000

On the next block all three people make $50,000. The median on this block is $50,000.

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 12-02-2011 at 08:53 PM..

Old 12-02-2011, 08:10 PM

14,439 posts, read 20,926,969 times
Oh my what did I miss.
WBN is usually right, and guess what, looks like he's still right.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:45 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,190,602 times
I also have to say that WBN is usually right...

Old 12-02-2011, 11:15 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,254 posts, read 1,675,851 times
Quote:
You're not going to "cyber-argue" with me, yet you demanded concrete evidence. It was provided. And I know where Mid-City is.

I'd imagine you're trying to make some point, but you're not doing a very good job of it. People from Covington and Mandeville are pretty well integrated into the N.O. metro area, and there's a "concrete" reason those are considered the wealthy suburbs (hint: it's because they are).
Sure, I didnt mak my point but you did by providing data from 2009 to substantiate your statement that PRE Katrina N.O. East was was at those levels. Am I incorrect? You posted the stats, not I. I seriously cannot recall hanging out with people from Mandeville/Covington in the city since they were so integrated. Yes, everybody WORKED in New Orleans and commuted back to their neighboring parish and spent the majority of their tax dollars there. That was one of the main problems in N.O. which prompted the Mayor to make it a law that at least the cops who patrolled the streets and harrassed everyone at least had to live in the city. My bad parish...not the so called "Metro Area".

Back on topic...do you still stand by 2009 statistical data to substantiate PRE catastophic hurricane New Orleans?

Old 12-02-2011, 11:18 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
Quote:
Also, what the hell is Lundy Enterprises? Are you referring to Larry Lundy, who just lost all his Pizza Hut franchises?

It's obvious that you have an axe to grind. I'm not going to be the one to do it for you.
I dont know you and you dont know me...what possible axe would I have to grind? Please do not make this personal as I didnt. Just justify using 2009 data to describe Pre 2005 New Orleans if you will...

And I only used Lundy Enterprises as a landmark because I dont know you and your familiarity with the city...Lundy Enterprises offices were on Lake Forest right past Read Blvd and behind those office started one of the large Upper Middle class neighborhoods...Lake Forest Estates. Why are you so angry that I tried to help you out with a Landmark???

Old 12-02-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
Dude if you think Eastover had tons of rich/wealthy people you don't have a clue.

Sure it had a few, but most were trying to live the good life and trying to keep up with the Jones.

I played golf with most of the homeowners there and can tell you that a few Saints players, politicians, and musicians were there but for the most part, it's just another neighborhood with the working class.

busta
Dude...lol, Eastover was one of the neighborhoods and to say that you know that only 5 or 6 people that lived there could actually afford it and the rest were keeping up with the Joeses to me is ridiculous. Too broad of a statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or