Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 09:25 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,242,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
Meh to the old Six Flags park. New Orleans EAST honestly sucks...and the Corps of Engineers says they cannot protect it the way they protect the rest of the city. Let it rot. (I'm sure I'll be unpopular for saying this..but its how I feel). Concentrate on growth between Gentilly, and the Jeff Parish line.

Dude, you can't be serious......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 09:35 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
As hard as I try to be optimistic about anything NOLA, I have to agree. The East wasn't much of a location Pre-Storm, it's even less so now. Surely some of the infrastructure built out there, like the gigantic parking lot, could form a base for an industrial venture that needs Interstate access.
Wow...NO. East wasn't much of a location before the storm? Forget the fact that N.O. East from Lundy Enterprises(Lake Forest and Read) back were all nice upper middle class neighborhoods with very nice homes (everyone knows about Eastover and McKindle Estates), 2 decent high schools, the onlt Indoor mall in Orleans Parish(even though the Plaza saw better days)...ect. Frpm I-510 back was sketchy as it was all semi marsh land but to say that one whole section of the city that WAS thriving before the storm should be scrapped is ludacris.

What are you basing this solution off?

Old 12-02-2011, 09:44 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Wow...NO. East wasn't much of a location before the storm? Forget the fact that N.O. East from Lundy Enterprises(Lake Forest and Read) back were all nice upper middle class neighborhoods with very nice homes (everyone knows about Eastover and McKindle Estates), 2 decent high schools, the onlt Indoor mall in Orleans Parish(even though the Plaza saw better days)...ect. Frpm I-510 back was sketchy as it was all semi marsh land but to say that one whole section of the city that WAS thriving before the storm should be scrapped is ludacris.

Canal Place and Riverwalk.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Canal Place and Riverwalk.
Canal Place and Riverwalk?? Really. O.K......Well you left off New Orleans Center in that case. The only free standing mall in Orleans Parish that was on the same level as the Jefferson Parish malls like Lakeside, Clearview, Esplanade, Bell Promenade(Wow), Oakwood......If I may correct myself. You surely do not place Riverwalk in the same category do you? And Canal Place is a High End mall compared to the others one would think. So we agree that it wasnt the ONLY mall...but what about the rest of my post? What are you basing your conclusion from?

Old 12-02-2011, 11:40 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,944,421 times
Quote:

Really? "wow"? The East has a crime problem and the neighborhoods there aren't, by any stretch of the imagination, what they were planned to be in terms of being "upscale". The fact was that a lot of people from Metairie, etc., just didn't want to drive to the area for a second-rate amusement park. Also, much of the real money in the metro area is in the Mandeville/Covington areas and the East was probably at least a 45 minute drive from there. I know the East was once a very nice area, but I'm not exaggerating in the least when I say that it had already fallen on hard times Pre-Katrina. I'd also appreciate it if you could point out where, in my post, I suggest the East should be "scrapped".

Old 12-02-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Really? "wow"? The East has a crime problem and the neighborhoods there aren't, by any stretch of the imagination, what they were planned to be in terms of being "upscale". The fact was that a lot of people from Metairie, etc., just didn't want to drive to the area for a second-rate amusement park. Also, much of the real money in the metro area is in the Mandeville/Covington areas and the East was probably at least a 45 minute drive from there. I know the East was once a very nice area, but I'm not exaggerating in the least when I say that it had already fallen on hard times Pre-Katrina. I'd also appreciate it if you could point out where, in my post, I suggest the East should be "scrapped".
True...we just used to drive to JP and spend our money in their malls because the city wouldnt put a collar on the slumlord who owned the Plaza.

Secondly, please show concrete facts that much of the real money was in Covington?? Lake Forest Estates, McKindle and of course Eastover had tons of rich/wealthy...

Third....the residents of all the nice neighborhoods were still there. True crime in that are had gone up because as the city had started to shut down the projects, the rental market in the East due to the volume of duplexes and triplexes, also townhomes and apartment buildings, is where people started to move...never will disagree about that.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
True...we just used to drive to JP and spend our money in their malls because the city wouldnt put a collar on the slumlord who owned the Plaza.

Secondly, please show concrete facts that much of the real money was in Covington?? Lake Forest Estates, McKindle and of course Eastover had tons of rich/wealthy...

Third....the residents of all the nice neighborhoods were still there. True crime in that are had gone up because as the city had started to shut down the projects, the rental market in the East due to the volume of duplexes and triplexes, also townhomes and apartment buildings, is where people started to move...never will disagree about that.
I suspect you're just doing this to be argumentative, but anyway:

//www.city-data.com/zips/70129.html

median household income: $34,168
median home value: $131,000
poverty rate: 23.8%

this is for the zip code that contains Eastover. Also note that it only has 34 houses with 5 or more bedrooms- hardly a bastion of wealth.

//www.city-data.com/zips/70433.html

median household income:$56,306
median home value: $223,000
poverty rate: 10.8%

This is for what appears to be the central Covington zip code. This zip also has 412 houses with 5 bedrooms or more- more than 10 times 70129. Note that many of the richer areas of the Northshore are outside the city limits of Covington and Mandeville.

If you think I hate the East, you're barking up the wrong tree. I live in Mid-City in a condo. I could have bought a bigger one in Mandeville and stayed within my budget, but I prefer life in the city. And you still haven't pointed to where I said anything about razing the East.

I'm waiting.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:18 PM

Also, what the hell is Lundy Enterprises? Are you referring to Larry Lundy, who just lost all his Pizza Hut franchises?

It's obvious that you have an axe to grind. I'm not going to be the one to do it for you.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I suspect you're just doing this to be argumentative, but anyway:

//www.city-data.com/zips/70129.html

median household income: $34,168
median home value: $131,000
poverty rate: 23.8%

this is for the zip code that contains Eastover. Also note that it only has 34 houses with 5 or more bedrooms- hardly a bastion of wealth.

//www.city-data.com/zips/70433.html

median household income:$56,306
median home value: $223,000
poverty rate: 10.8%

This is for what appears to be the central Covington zip code. This zip also has 412 houses with 5 bedrooms or more- more than 10 times 70129. Note that many of the richer areas of the Northshore are outside the city limits of Covington and Mandeville.

If you think I hate the East, you're barking up the wrong tree. I live in Mid-City in a condo. I could have bought a bigger one in Mandeville and stayed within my budget, but I prefer life in the city. And you still haven't pointed to where I said anything about razing the East.

I'm waiting.

Omg, This is the internet why would I cyber argue with you. Please do not jump to conclusions. You made an observation and I am responding to it. And these are 2009 numbers!! The storm hit in 2005 and the number of plighted homes and such was pretty much nill in the East. Those figures are skewed sir/madame. There were more than 30 homes in Eastover alone. McKindle Estates is right next to it. And when built those homes were not selling for nowhere near that median price of 131K. The ZIP cannot be taking into consideration all of the homes also in Michoud. Correct me if i am wrong but you did embed 70129 correct? That stretches past Bayou Sauvage......and the info is from 2009, after the storm, please check your stats. If that info was correct pre Katrina it would be stating that the surrounding areas (70127 Crowder Blvd area on back towards Read) and 70128 (around Haynes??) would be on par with the more expensive ZIP code of 70129? I dont get that logic.

Never said you hated the East. I am from Uptown, but own a townhouse in the East and I know how much I paid for it in 2004 and how much peoples homes cost that I went to college with who live in that zip code (Lake forest estates). Those numbers cant be right is all I am saying. The East wasnt mid city between Banks and Broad or Earhardt and Tulane. I know my city ....no need to wait any longer.

P.S. being a native, I do not consider Covington, Slidell, Mandeville as part of a N.O. metro area. The cities are far too seperated and different. This is not Houston or Atlanta where everyone lays claims even though they are almost an hour from the city...never has been like that. Now that was off topic, sorry.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Omg, This is the internet why would I cyber argue with you. Please do not jump to conclusions. You made an observation and I am responding to it. And these are 2009 numbers!! The storm hit in 2005 and the number of plighted homes and such was pretty much nill in the East. Those figures are skewed sir/madame. There were more than 30 homes in Eastover alone. McKindle Estates is right next to it. And when built those homes were not selling for nowhere near that median price of 131K. The ZIP cannot be taking into consideration all of the homes also in Michoud. Correct me if i am wrong but you did embed 70129 correct? That stretches past Bayou Sauvage......and the info is from 2009, after the storm, please check your stats. If that info was correct pre Katrina it would be stating that the surrounding areas (70127 Crowder Blvd area on back towards Read) and 70128 (around Haynes??) would be on par with the more expensive ZIP code of 70129? I dont get that logic.

Never said you hated the East. I am from Uptown, but own a townhouse in the East and I know how much I paid for it in 2004 and how much peoples homes cost that I went to college with who live in that zip code (Lake forest estates). Those numbers cant be right is all I am saying. The East wasnt mid city between Banks and Broad or Earhardt and Tulane. I know my city ....no need to wait any longer.

P.S. being a native, I do not consider Covington, Slidell, Mandeville as part of a N.O. metro area. The cities are far too seperated and different. This is not Houston or Atlanta where everyone lays claims even though they are almost an hour from the city...never has been like that. Now that was off topic, sorry.
You're not going to "cyber-argue" with me, yet you demanded concrete evidence. It was provided. And I know where Mid-City is.

I'd imagine you're trying to make some point, but you're not doing a very good job of it. People from Covington and Mandeville are pretty well integrated into the N.O. metro area, and there's a "concrete" reason those are considered the wealthy suburbs (hint: it's because they are).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans