Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 03:57 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times

Advertisements

Oooh, ooh, I'm just waiting for my turn... !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 04:15 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,052,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Does anyone know why Jazz Land failed? I'm surprised the city couldn't draw enough people to it with all the tourists. For instance, why is Orlando able to support a huge park but not New Orleans with a small one?

What's an upscale outlet mall? Like an outdoor Galleria?
Well I hate to stereotype people and places because I know that not all that is seen is true. But I think what killed Jazz Land park was the gangster thug types that hung out at the park.

I went once and refused to allow my kids to ever go again because I was afraid that something would happen to them.

And before you guys bash me for what I say you should know that I grew up in some of the toughest parts of this town. The Lower 9th Ward and the Deisre Housing Projects plus I am still in real bad all parts of this city every day so I know a little about that type of lifestyle.

busta

Old 12-02-2011, 04:18 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Didn't find a thread for this already.

New Orleans looks at 8 proposals to revive shuttered Six Flags amusement park site

The eight bidders and their proposed projects, as described by Quirk, are:
  • Louisiana Heritage Resort BP: 200-plus-acre resort with nine "theme lands" and 20 acres of sound stages.
  • RCS Entertainment Inc.: Crescent City Amusement Park, a green amusement park.
  • Dag Development and Provident: outlet mall with a boardwalk entertainment district.
  • Packaert LLC: electric power generation plant.
  • The Paida Company: water park and back lot for the film industry.
  • JWM Ventures: resort with theme park, water park and sports complex.
  • Powell Commodity Inc.: commercial retail and family entertainment venue with theme park.
  • A business coalition led by Al Philips: eco park focusing on green usages of water and green construction.

New Orleans looks at 8 proposals to revive shuttered Six Flags amusement park site | NOLA.com

Finally!
I'd vote for the Louisiana Heritage park. The problem is, why have 20 stages? How many different bands playing Cajun, Zydeco and Blues can you possibly stand to listen to in one day??? LOL Maybe we'll get lucky and there will be a Dixieland band or two.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-02-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Orlando is home to several theme parks that draw an international crowd. I don't think that Orlando is duplicated anywhere on the planet unless it's in Europe or Asia somewhere. Parks like Jazzland and Six Flags, on the other hand, exist everywhere. It was a small themepark stuck inbetween Six Flags parks in Atlanta, Dallas, and at the time Houston. From a local standpoint it doesn't help that a large percentage of the population west of the 17th Street Canal seem to fear traveling east of the IHNC or at least consider everything over there to be a wasteland.

By "upscale" I'm assuming it'll have stores like Off Fifth (Saks), Banana Repubilc, Ralph Lauren, etc. vs. lower end stores.

It's not so much fear as it is street smarts. I'm rebuilding Colton School at 2300 St Claude Av and also Turn Services on Desire and Chartres. I carry several firearms on me at all times because of these idiots who think it's OK to kill people. Most of New Orleans East is a lot worse.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
There used to be an amusement park at that very spot, Elysian Fields and Lakeshore, called Pontchartrain Beach. Further down near Little Woods was Lincoln Beach where Blacks, etc. who weren't allowed in Pontchartrain Beach went to hang out. The main rollercoaster at Six Flags, the Mega Zephyr, was based off of the original Zephyr at Pontchartrain Beach. All that is left of the park today is a rundown beach behind UNO.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Six Flags N.O.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/14/FEMA_-_15444_-_Photograph_by_Bob_McMillan_taken_on_09-14-2005_in_Louisiana.jpg/640px-FEMA_-_15444_-_Photograph_by_Bob_McMillan_taken_on_09-14-2005_in_Louisiana.jpg (broken link)

Do you know why Lincoln Beach was shut down buy the feds and Pontchartrain Beach wasn't?

Old 12-02-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
True...we just used to drive to JP and spend our money in their malls because the city wouldnt put a collar on the slumlord who owned the Plaza.

Secondly, please show concrete facts that much of the real money was in Covington?? Lake Forest Estates, McKindle and of course Eastover had tons of rich/wealthy...

Third....the residents of all the nice neighborhoods were still there. True crime in that are had gone up because as the city had started to shut down the projects, the rental market in the East due to the volume of duplexes and triplexes, also townhomes and apartment buildings, is where people started to move...never will disagree about that.

Dude if you think Eastover had tons of rich/wealthy people you don't have a clue.

Sure it had a few, but most were trying to live the good life and trying to keep up with the Jones.

I played golf with most of the homeowners there and can tell you that a few Saints players, politicians, and musicians were there but for the most part, it's just another neighborhood with the working class.

busta

Old 12-02-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
I suspect you're just doing this to be argumentative, but anyway:

//www.city-data.com/zips/70129.html

median household income: $34,168
median home value: $131,000
poverty rate: 23.8%

this is for the zip code that contains Eastover. Also note that it only has 34 houses with 5 or more bedrooms- hardly a bastion of wealth.

//www.city-data.com/zips/70433.html

median household income:$56,306
median home value: $223,000
poverty rate: 10.8%

This is for what appears to be the central Covington zip code. This zip also has 412 houses with 5 bedrooms or more- more than 10 times 70129. Note that many of the richer areas of the Northshore are outside the city limits of Covington and Mandeville.

If you think I hate the East, you're barking up the wrong tree. I live in Mid-City in a condo. I could have bought a bigger one in Mandeville and stayed within my budget, but I prefer life in the city. And you still haven't pointed to where I said anything about razing the East.

I'm waiting.

You're wasting your time because they will never get it

Old 12-02-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I'd vote for the Louisiana Heritage park. The problem is, why have 20 stages? How many different bands playing Cajun, Zydeco and Blues can you possibly stand to listen to in one day??? LOL Maybe we'll get lucky and there will be a Dixieland band or two.

20yrsinBranson

LOL Come to New Orleans and you will understand why so many stages. How many bands, endless?

busta

Old 12-02-2011, 05:07 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
It's not so much fear as it is street smarts. I'm rebuilding Colton School at 2300 St Claude Av and also Turn Services on Desire and Chartres. I carry several firearms on me at all times because of these idiots who think it's OK to kill people. Most of New Orleans East is a lot worse.
But there's a big difference between being in the Desire, Florida and St. Claude than being in Lake Forest, Eastover, or Michoud. The East is a big place, but people act like it's Central City or somewhere. There are some bad spots in The East, the parts west of Crowder come to mind as well as some of the areas below Dwyer, but these are nowhere near the worst areas in the city. There are large portions of The East that are no different from large areas of Metairie, Kenner, and Gretna. It amazes me how people write off an entire area and most of them have never set foot in an 1/8 of it. The Westbank suffers the same problem and so does Gentilly to an extent.

I'm from Uptown, l've lived on the Westbank, and I've been back on the Eastbank for about 3 years. It amazes me at the questions that I get from people on the Northshore, places like LaPlace and Destrehan, and to a lesser extent Jefferson Parish about my safety and the conditions that come with living in New Orleans. It's not an everyday thing, but some of the questions are so stupid and far from the truth that it's beyond irritating. I've lived in some the some of the roughest parts of the city as well as some of the nicest.

Quote:
Do you know why Lincoln Beach was shut down buy the feds and Pontchartrain Beach wasn't?
Why?

Old 12-02-2011, 05:13 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
LOL Come to New Orleans and you will understand why so many stages. How many bands, endless?

busta
I lived in New Orleans when I worked for the World's Fair in 1984. There's lots of music there, no doubt. But it all sounds the same (except for the Bass Band that was in Lafayette Park and the old guys that played Dixieland at Preservation Hall). Other than that I was Cajuned, Zydecoed and Bluesed to DEATH!

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans