U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 04:44 AM

129 posts, read 288,564 times

Advertisements

After MUCH deliberation, we've decided to leave Los Angeles in our rear-view mirror and move to New Orleans. My husband is a carpenter and there is no work at all here for him - we can't survive here anymore. He's in the carpenter's union and was told by the NO union that there is a lot of work there. We have a 3-month-old baby, not much money saved, bad credit and a lot of worries about the move. My husband's been out of work for so long here in California and just needs/wants to get back to work so that our little family can survive. I am a freelance writer with a steady client so we will have a little income upon arriving.

We're scared because we can't rent an apartment until we get there, and I only want to live in the Uptown/Garden District areas. Is this even possible with bad credit?? We have to stay in an expensive hotel and leave the U-haul trailer on our car until we find something...

I LOVE Los Angeles and am so sad to leave, but I do like NO a lot, too. Are we in for a big culture shock? I want to be excited about this move but I have no idea if NO will welcome us with open arms or not. Any words of hope?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 09:31 AM

14,418 posts, read 20,901,051 times
Wanting to live Uptown and in the Garden District will be tougher with bad credit, maybe even impossible. The lower Garden District is cheaper and is closer to the river and the CCC. I would check craigslist, I was browsing it just last night. I work at U-Haul and we give one free month in storage for one-way trucks, I believe trailers too. You don't have to use the storage again after that month so you don't have to incur more charges for keeping the trailer. I'm not sure if NO area dealers do that but I'd hope so.
You will be in for a HUGE culture shock. People will welcome you as long as you don't come here with your nose turned up and criticizing the culture. Never talk about how LA is so much better or people will be bitter to you, but that's with every city you go to.

Good luck!

Old 11-24-2011, 11:50 AM

310 posts, read 775,942 times
Not having much money saved and bad credit is going to be tough for your first few months. Don't limit yourself to the Garden District because it can be expensive and most places will do credit checks. The Garden District/Uptown really isn't synonymous with living on a tight budget. Craigslist will probably be your best bet, but be wary and check up on the listing because people are notorious over there for scamming people looking for rental housing here. Maybe even find a sublet for a few months while you're looking around and getting to know the city. Keep in mind if the place is cheap, it's probably too good to be true and/or in a bad area. If you see something you're interested in, come back and ask us about the neighborhood. We'll be able to tell you if it's a good area or not.

What can you afford per month? We'll be able to give you neighborhood ideas based on that.

As for culture shock, having lived in L.A. will help some with that; however, New Orleans has to be the exact opposite. You'll have to get used to the way people talk, the fact that people find it acceptable to be late, and that people coming from other cities see some residents as "lazy" since they run on their own time. Rushing around like you're living in a bustling metropolis isn't necessary and it takes some time to learn how to slow down (I still don't find it appropriate to be late to anything, though). It's definitely not a bustling city. I call it the biggest small town in the world. It can be difficult to break into a social circle too. Many people who have lived here all their lives tend to not want to let outsiders into their groups no matter how nice you are, but on the other hand, you'll find a very large population of transplants from all over the world who will be really welcoming.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:10 AM

Thanks for your help, guys. Sounds like I'll fit right in since I'm late ALL the time and like to run on my own, slow schedule! Our maximum budget right now would be about $900 for a one-bedroom apartment. I was looking on CL and saw some in my desired areas for that amount, but who knows if they are scams. We just have to wait until we get there to find something I guess.

I don't need tons of friends and I'll be very busy with my baby, so I'm not too concerned about the social circle thing. I will join a writer's group eventually for socialization. I am worried about my husband not being able to get a job because the boss wants to hire his brother/uncle/son instead, know what I mean?

Thanks for telling me about the free storage unit, Annie. We just might have to do that while staying in an Extended Stay hotel. I'd hate to do that since it's so expensive, though. Is the one in Metairie in a decent area?

I'll definitely check back in when we find something to make sure it's in a decent area. Thanks again.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:08 AM

How is this address:

700 Upperline St
New Orleans, LA 70115

I found a management company that doesn't do credit checks, and this 1-bedroom apartment is only $600/month. Does that price sound too good to be true?

Old 11-25-2011, 10:51 AM

14,418 posts, read 20,901,051 times
You could find something for $900/month, might not be Uptown though.
You're close to Audubon Park so that's good but I think that area may be iffy. You're just a block from Magazine, which is good too; overall you should be ok in that area. However, I've heard some things about Upperline but a native could better fill you in.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:20 AM

113 posts, read 411,100 times
tchoup can be very sketchy. i wish i could comment on that particular block.

the nola crime map will be very helpful - The City of New Orleans: Crime Maps for uptown/the garden district, try to find a place at or above magazine and at or below st. charles ave - stay far away from s. claiborne, and stay away from the interstate. it gets complicated near the universities IMO. look for places on the right side of audubon park, it's very safe and lovely there.

try putting up a "want ad" on the housing section of craigslist. a lot of landlords are reading it, and it's how i found my last nola apartment. you can definitely get a place without having to do a credit check. you will have more luck with a landlord who's renting out house apartments (vs. a townhouse or an apartment in a complex) and probably has experience with college students who come to town with only their checkbooks.

mid-city has some great rentals, but again, there are neighborhoods/blocks to avoid. as i recall, away from the highway and toward city park is safe, but i don't know enough about that area to be any more detailed.

comment here with as many addresses as you like so people can give you input.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:42 PM

If you're referring to the small apartment complex right there, there's better to be had. Try to steer away from the typical complex. There are better rentals to be found around here in houses, especially of the shotgun style mentioned. $900 should be able to find you a nice half a shotgun.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:22 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,068,523 times
Oh you can find apartments cheaply...I live Uptown for $700 a month (its not a nice place by any imagination but its ok...).

I live closeish to that 700 Upperline address. that's not a bad area...its' not State Street but its ok

Old 11-26-2011, 07:50 PM

Have the interesting people stopped hanging out on the balcony of that complex at odd hours of the night? I wouldn't mind living in that neighborhood myself, but that complex used to be utter trash. Reminded me of a cheap motel. Not calling names, honestly curious. Had a friend who lived across the street from there and the moved because of that complex. Okay neighborhood otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans