Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 08:10 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,514,812 times

Advertisements

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Struggling to deal with one of the nation's largest homeless populations, New Orleans and federal officials say they'll work aggressively over the next decade to end homelessness by getting more people on the streets into homes.

On Monday, Mayor Mitch Landrieu laid out a 10-year plan the city and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development hope will end the homeless problem that has become chronic since 2005's Hurricane Katrina.

New Orleans lays out plan to end homelessness - Yahoo! News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 08:18 PM

299 posts, read 640,501 times
How ridiculous. Most homeless people are on the street because they choose and want to live that lifestyle.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:39 PM

16,506 posts, read 26,209,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Analog Man View Post
How ridiculous. Most homeless people are on the street because they choose and want to live that lifestyle.
Did you read your post?

Old 11-29-2011, 08:41 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,463,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Analog Man View Post
Go spend some time under the Expressway between Simon Bolivar and O.C. Haley. You'll see that's not the case for maybe 1/2 to 2/3 of the people under there. There is a large drifter/backpacker population in New Orleans who move from city to city choosing to panhandle and beg, but there is a serious issue regarding "true" homelessness in this city as well.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:30 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,852,848 times
Yep, I drive by that about everyday and I'd say it's about 3/4 to 7/8. Hope they can help some of these folks out, sometimes a little help is a person needs. Better than sending the money oversea's to help people out that can't stand us anyway.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:24 PM

98 posts, read 284,980 times
"work aggressively over the next decade to end homelessness by getting more people on the streets into homes."

That statement probably means the solution doesn't fit the problem.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:45 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,042,988 times
I try and hire locals as often as I can but I have a hard time finding people who even know which end of a hammer to swing. The problem started getting bad about ten years ago and has only gotten worse.

And on the rare occasion I do find good help they last a week at most before they start showing up to work drunk or high as a kite on drugs.

busta

Old 12-14-2011, 12:47 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,203,011 times
After Katrina and the welfare suckups, you'd think America would have learned their lesson. I'm sure this ill conceived program will cost the rest of us plenty...

BOOO!

Old 12-14-2011, 02:36 PM

22,631 posts, read 24,503,917 times
Haha, Skank Diego, my former home, is doing the same thing...........putting a big'ole homeless shelter right in the middle of the financial district.............HAHA.

Build it and they will come!!!

Old 12-14-2011, 03:06 PM

10,110 posts, read 19,359,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
I try and hire locals as often as I can but I have a hard time finding people who even know which end of a hammer to swing. The problem started getting bad about ten years ago and has only gotten worse.

And on the rare occasion I do find good help they last a week at most before they start showing up to work drunk or high as a kite on drugs.

busta

A friend of ours runs a construction business. he hires day laborers, and says he pays them daily. if he paid them every week or 2 weeks, they wouldn't come back until they pi$$ed through their pay, usually getting drunk, high, etc. He said the only way to get some people to work is to keep them "poor" they are like kids, have no idea how to handle money. Honestly, I now there'a a lot of poor through no fault of their own, but many do choose that lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans