Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2011, 06:44 PM
GMG GMG started this thread

3 posts, read 6,126 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I know that most of you have answered this post a million times but any insight from those of you that will answer is much appreciated. I am actually returning to New Orleans. We lived here 2 yrs ago and for 2 yrs(job move).

The differences are that my 2yr old is now 4 and going to Kindergarten next year and I have a one on the way in Feb. I really want to make sure she goes to a good school (public).

So in my eyes there are a couple of options:
A. trying to move near Lusher elementry however rent there is a little high (we are trying to stay in the 900-1200 range)

B. moving to mandeville/covington and commute (reallly wanted to be in NOLA for all the activity and avoiding the commute

C. Reaching out and find if anyone had any suggestions (maybe someone know a rental agent that can help.

I have a steady job with a major corporation, so credentials and credibility are ok

Any ideas or suggestions.....????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 01:13 PM
ptt

497 posts, read 637,420 times
Lusher charter shool have a very specific attendance zone. The school website provide the information. If you are not living in that tiny zone ,your child will have to pass the exam test. If she is going to be in kindergarten in 2012/2013 school year then you have to apply now.They will give you a testing date once you submited the application form. The last day of application is in mid jan or a few days earlier.(please, check the shcool site)

Apart from Lusher school which your kid have to test to get in there are oter charter school such as audubon charter, international school of LA and Edwards Haynes charter they are 8-9 out of 10 points from greatschools.org. These schools draw the random lottery.

If I were you I will give the school attendance map to a realtor find the home within that area. but you have to act now if you are not sure apply your child first. I think high rent is worth for good school especially if you got 2, if your first child get in the sibling get amagic pass. (last time I check newman school tuition fee for k is 20,000 $ per year) good luck.

Ps: lower garden district rental rate is in your budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans