Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2012, 11:31 AM

809 posts, read 1,330,697 times

Advertisements

My son is planning on attending Tulane's school of public health this fall. We have been to New Orleans in the past and visited the main campus of Tulane. It appears that the school of public health is located on Canal Street.
It appears the main campus is about 4 miles from the school of public health.
It also looks like it is next to the french quarters.

Does anyone know if the area of the public health is a safe neighborhood - would you suggest he look for an apt closer to the public health school rather than the main campus.

He is coming to New Oleans later this week to look for apts.

We would appreciate any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 05:33 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,945,820 times
Closer to campus would generally be a better bet. He could also look in Mid-City, it would be a shorter commute.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:27 AM

3 posts, read 6,940 times
I am planning to enroll in the Tulane School of Public Health as well. I have never been to New Orleans before and am looking for housing too. I might settle for Deming Pavilion because of its convenience, but do realize safety can be an issue in the downtown area. Any input or new news?

Old 04-13-2012, 11:07 PM

310 posts, read 854,691 times
If you can't handle the everyday that New Orleans has to offer, your clinical experiences at Tulane Public Health are going to be absolutely miserable, FYI.

You'll be just fine starting out at Deming. In fact, I'd recommend that for you if you're not coming to look for other housing before school starts. Otherwise, the Uptown area surrounding campus is okay and there is quite a bit of student housing to be found. Just be smart about it and check out the neighborhoods in person before giving anyone money. As I'm sure you know, the School of Public Health isn't actually on the Tulane campus. It's not too bad of an area, but I wouldn't live nearby (I went to a school next door... okay area during the day, don't walk around the Medical District at night). Oh, and don't be afraid of the Chinese restaurant with bars on the doors and windows for lunch... it's pretty awesome for cheap Chinese

Old 04-29-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pook77 View Post
If you can't handle the everyday that New Orleans has to offer, your clinical experiences at Tulane Public Health are going to be absolutely miserable, FYI.

You'll be just fine starting out at Deming. In fact, I'd recommend that for you if you're not coming to look for other housing before school starts. Otherwise, the Uptown area surrounding campus is okay and there is quite a bit of student housing to be found. Just be smart about it and check out the neighborhoods in person before giving anyone money. As I'm sure you know, the School of Public Health isn't actually on the Tulane campus. It's not too bad of an area, but I wouldn't live nearby (I went to a school next door... okay area during the day, don't walk around the Medical District at night). Oh, and don't be afraid of the Chinese restaurant with bars on the doors and windows for lunch... it's pretty awesome for cheap Chinese
Ok. Appreciate the input. I recently visited the campus and thought Deming was decent like a freshman dorm at college. I noticed there was no dishwasher and the windows don't open, but besides that, things seemed ok.

Really liked New Orleans from my first impression--the city has so much to offer in culture, food, and things to do. Wish the public transportation was a little better, but will try looking into buying a used car. Any recommendations or insight about buying used cars in New Orleans?

Old 04-30-2012, 08:17 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereami?? View Post
Ok. Appreciate the input. I recently visited the campus and thought Deming was decent like a freshman dorm at college. I noticed there was no dishwasher and the windows don't open, but besides that, things seemed ok.

Really liked New Orleans from my first impression--the city has so much to offer in culture, food, and things to do. Wish the public transportation was a little better, but will try looking into buying a used car. Any recommendations or insight about buying used cars in New Orleans?
Depending on where you live and your daily schedule, you can do without a car.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Depending on where you live and your daily schedule, you can do without a car.
I would like to have a car to travel outside of the city and hopefully visit Houston and other places. Coming from the Northeast, it would be nice to experience the various aspects of Southern culture and regions.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:29 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereami?? View Post
I would like to have a car to travel outside of the city and hopefully visit Houston and other places. Coming from the Northeast, it would be nice to experience the various aspects of Southern culture and regions.
Oh well in that case, you need a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans