U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 10:42 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,390,611 times

Advertisements

But anyway, I'm going now, before you can pull your one debate trick of shifting attention away from the issue at hand by backing up your argument against New York with some obscure stat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 11:48 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,392,036 times
You want to talk about crime in New Orleans or you want to talk about me? Hey, I don't argue things that I can't back up and you've yet to catch me typing out the side of my keyboard. DM with all the personal crap.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:11 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,392,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
I think New York has had a lot more success than you give them credit for, but that's not really here nor there.
I didn't really elaborate on New York's so.....

Quote:
I was really hopeful that Cannizzaro's experience on the drug courts would bring something new into the system, some concrete ideas on how to lessen the drug problem in the city. We could go ahead and legalize pot but I'd guess that 90% of the career criminals are into dealing (and doing) the harder stuff.
Exactly, and then you have to look at who's fueling the market for "hard stuff".

Quote:
So far, the broken windows approach is the best anybody has come up with. If we could just somehow put a priority on the physical appearance of the city, I think it would do wonders for how people perceive themselves. It doesn't have to be inmates; I know that solution is fraught with peril for everybody involved.
That's a great start and I think it plays a part overall, but I don't think that it goes deep enough. I mean, there's a difference between putting lipstick on a pig and training a pig. The neighborhood where the 2 year old was killed was a beautified housing project. Now it does it help, looking at the Fischer and Desire developments you can see that crime went down. Those developments still have various social issues tough and then it's like, did crime go down because now everyone has a nicer place to live or is HANO just being more selective?

I agree with most of what you say, I just don't think that platitudes are an effective response. It's not really in the hands of many people to change an entire culture, the best we can do is to try and lift people out of the situation that they find themselves in. I know we've gotten into it in the past and I'm really not trying to attack you here.[/quote]

This is all that I'm saying. IMO to lift them out of their situation is going to take the re-education of not just that culture, but all that coexist with it. Nothing cliche about it.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:47 AM

31 posts, read 91,850 times
All we hear for years is talk, talk, talk. I know that this may seem extreme, but if they were to bring back public hangings a lot of the violence would go away. I say hang them at the court house downtown and let their bodies rot!

Old 12-19-2011, 10:41 AM

14,363 posts, read 20,805,859 times
Legalize weed in Orleans. Now instead of people getting shot and beat over a few thousand dollars or 10lbs of weed, people will just try to rob a dispensary every now and then.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:48 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,993,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Legalize weed in Orleans. Now instead of people getting shot and beat over a few thousand dollars or 10lbs of weed, people will just try to rob a dispensary every now and then.
I'm all for it, but there are lots of other drugs that would still cause problems.

Poverty is the main problem here, that is what breeds crime. We need good ideas on how to end poverty in the city. There is no silver bullet. Even if there are an unlimited number of good paying jobs, you need to convince someone to take that job instead of resorting to crime that might well pay more.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
I'm all for it, but there are lots of other drugs that would still cause problems.

Poverty is the main problem here, that is what breeds crime. We need good ideas on how to end poverty in the city. There is no silver bullet. Even if there are an unlimited number of good paying jobs, you need to convince someone to take that job instead of resorting to crime that might well pay more.
True. Jobs are a high priority.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:01 PM

729 posts, read 1,526,786 times
Can we agree on one thing? Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results (at least over the course of 50+ years that I am aware of) - is not - does not - will not work.

Is it a telling sign that one of the safest periods in NOLA history was after Katrina - when the city was mostly empty and the National Guard was in charge?

My husband says we can't come home to the parish until the murder rate drops below 150...seriously.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:08 PM

729 posts, read 1,526,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post

Legalize EVERYTHING - drugs, prostitution, gambling - EVERYTHING.

Yes - in the beginning the "bodies" will pile up. Once you take the financial incentive and criminal element away - tax and regulate the crap out of the 'deadly sins' - the "rush" will be gone. Lord knows the government needs the money.

We only have to look at example of other industrial nations and states (Great Britain - heroin addicts, Nevada - prostitution, everywhere - state lotteries, etc.) to see positive impact legalizing the illegal can have. What the USA is doing now certainly is not working so well. Legislating morality doesn't appear to be working either.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:12 PM

I wouldn't say anything, including prostitution, but it would definitely help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or