U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 09:04 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,390,611 times

Advertisements

It's the elephant in the room, and it's about time it was discussed.

Today, a 2-year-old child was shot and killed in the B.W. Cooper projects. In the East, a 9-year-old boy was shot twice and ran home only to collapse in his family's front yard (he survived).

Instead of feel-good stories about homelessness and our endless pumping of the intangibles of life here, I think we should discuss actual solutions to the problem that robs so many of our citizens of the "tangible" joy that is being alive. Just heartbroken, for about the millionth time, by another day of violence in this city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 09:13 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,392,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
It's the elephant in the room, and it's about time it was discussed.

Today, a 2-year-old child was shot and killed in the B.W. Cooper projects. In the East, a 9-year-old boy was shot twice and ran home only to collapse in his family's front yard (he survived).

Instead of feel-good stories about homelessness and our endless pumping of the intangibles of life here, I think we should discuss actual solutions to the problem that robs so many of our citizens of the "tangible" joy that is being alive. Just heartbroken, for about the millionth time, by another day of violence in this city.
It starts with education, formal and informal. Until those who can actually make a difference nothing will ever change. It's a continuing cycle that stems from beacoup situations that have been ingrained into everyday life. I wouldn't necessarily call it the elephant as it comes up in the forum from time to time.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
It starts with education, formal and informal. Until those who can actually make a difference nothing will ever change. It's a continuing cycle that stems from beacoup situations that have been ingrained into everyday life. I wouldn't necessarily call it the elephant as it comes up in the forum from time to time.
In other words, don't worry about it, right? It's just another day in beautiful NOLA, have a drink, that's not a dead body, and keep your eyes straight ahead? Right?

Old 12-18-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
In other words, don't worry about it, right? It's just another day in beautiful NOLA, have a drink, that's not a dead body, and keep your eyes straight ahead? Right?

Did you see where I typed any of that? Nope, you did not? Hell, I might care about it more than you do.
There are no overnight solutions, I didn't feel like typing an essay about what I think the problems are (because there is a long list) and the numerous solutions that require investment from people who don't care. I was going to elaborate on different thing as the conversation progressed, but while we're at it.. what are your ideas?

Old 12-18-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
what are your ideas?
I'm really out of them at this point. I stood by after the Halloween debacle and didn't call for the chief's head. At this point I really don't think there's much anybody can do but for a wholesale change in culture. We had our moment of crisis when Katrina hit. I think it's time for all of us to move on from recovery mode to "building the city that we want to live in" mode.

Like I said, at this point, I'm exasperated. I've done all kinds of things to try to solve the problem in my little section of the city, from cleaning up trash on the streets to calling 911 every time I hear something even remotely resembling a gunshot.

I really think this is a bigger problem than the police chief or even the mayor can tackle. I'm not calling for some boneheaded revolution or anything but if you look at the comments on nola.com the best anybody seems to be able to come up with is firearm safety education. Huh?

Old 12-18-2011, 10:07 PM

4,516 posts, read 7,628,403 times
I do not live in NOLA but I have visited it quite often. However as you can guess from my handle I am very active in advocating gun safety and Second Amendment rights.

Quoting from the OP "Today, a 2-year-old child was shot and killed in the B.W. Cooper projects. In the East, a 9-year-old boy was shot twice and ran home only to collapse in his family's front yard (he survived)."

This is horrible. Were these intentional shootings of these young victims or were they innocent bystanders? Or was it careless gun handling by idiots that don't follow proper gun handling safety? Whatever the reason my prayers go out to the family and friends of these young victims.

GL2

Old 12-18-2011, 10:07 PM

And actually, something I mentioned might be key. If the city were just cleaner, it really does a lot to deter violence. Maybe put the inmates out on work duty, cleaning the streets.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I do not live in NOLA but I have visited it quite often. However as you can guess from my handle I am very active in advocating gun safety and Second Amendment rights.

Quoting from the OP "Today, a 2-year-old child was shot and killed in the B.W. Cooper projects. In the East, a 9-year-old boy was shot twice and ran home only to collapse in his family's front yard (he survived)."

This is horrible. Were these intentional shootings of these young victims or were they innocent bystanders? Or was it careless gun handling by idiots that don't follow proper gun handling safety? Whatever the reason my prayers go out to the family and friends of these young victims.

GL2
Drive-bys (but even our criminals don't usually stoop to shooting 2 year olds- the children were bystanders). I really wish the solution here was as simple as greater prevention of accidental deaths, but it isn't.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:18 PM

We can clean up this city, establish martial law, and make the city into the police state; with all of that I still don't see it making a difference. For every thug the police take down, there will be another who was just waiting for a chance to make it to the top. It's going to take people to go in and tackle the problem while potential criminals are young. The problem is deeply entrenched into their perception of the world. You have to look at where these people are coming from. There is nothing that can be done overnight. It's going to take years. You can always be like New York and run the criminals to the outer fringes, but that doesn't solve the problem it just moves out of sight temporarily. We can march and try bring attention to it, but the people we need the attention from could care less because it doesn't affect them.

One major problem, babies having babies. Now look at it from the typical N.O. teen mother's perspective. It goes a little something like this; "I don't have anything to look forward to, at least if I have a baby by the time I'm 21 I'll have free food and a place to stay, If I have a place to stay I know I'll have a man, etc." As sad as that sounds, that's how it goes. Just talk to some of these children around here and it's not just New Orleans. It's all they know and there's no one to tell them any better and when someone who can does come along, they have to put that against what they've already experienced in life. Same thing with the young guys. "I can go to school, make a decent salary or I could just stand on the corner and make 3x that". These two ideas basically combine to create most of New Orleans' crime problem.

It starts from the ground up in my IMO.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
We can clean up this city, establish martial law, and make the city into the police state; with all of that I still don't see it making a difference. For every thug the police take down, there will be another who was just waiting for a chance to make it to the top. It's going to take people to go in and tackle the problem while potential criminals are young. The problem is deeply entrenched into their perception of the world. You have to look at where these people are coming from. There is nothing that can be done overnight. It's going to take years. You can always be like New York and run the criminals to the outer fringes, but that doesn't solve the problem it just moves out of sight temporarily. We can march and try bring attention to it, but the people we need the attention from could care less because it doesn't affect them.

One major problem, babies having babies. Now look at it from the typical N.O. teen mother's perspective. It goes a little something like this; "I don't have anything to look forward to, at least if I have a baby by the time I'm 21 I'll have free food and a place to stay, If I have a place to stay I know I'll have a man, etc." As sad as that sounds, that's how it goes. Just talk to some of these children around here and it's not just New Orleans. It's all they know and there's no one to tell them any better and when someone who can does come along, they have to put that against what they've already experienced in life. Same thing with the young guys. "I can go to school, make a decent salary or I could just stand on the corner and make 3x that".

It start from the ground up in my IMO.
Oh no, I can understand that. I'm well aware that the root cause of the problem is poverty and hopelessness. I'm not suggesting we establish a police state by any means; that's the whole "win the world but lose your soul in the process" thing, IMO.

I think New York has had a lot more success than you give them credit for, but that's not really here nor there.

Like I said, the best I can come up with at this point is some plan to clean up the city- living in poverty isn't as bad if you can walk out your front door and not see some inconsiderate jackass's beer cans strewn all over your front yard.

I was really hopeful that Cannizzaro's experience on the drug courts would bring something new into the system, some concrete ideas on how to lessen the drug problem in the city. We could go ahead and legalize pot but I'd guess that 90% of the career criminals are into dealing (and doing) the harder stuff.

So far, the broken windows approach is the best anybody has come up with. If we could just somehow put a priority on the physical appearance of the city, I think it would do wonders for how people perceive themselves. It doesn't have to be inmates; I know that solution is fraught with peril for everybody involved.

I agree with most of what you say, I just don't think that platitudes are an effective response. It's not really in the hands of many people to change an entire culture, the best we can do is to try and lift people out of the situation that they find themselves in. I know we've gotten into it in the past and I'm really not trying to attack you here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or