Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 04:51 PM

860 posts, read 1,193,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
My experiences with N.O. go back to the 60's, and I've lived there many times. It's not really accurate to say that the crime isn't that bad, or it's only in certain areas. The crime is out of hand, off the charts, and I felt very unsafe there the last time I visited, never mind that the cops are as dangerous as the criminals! The square isn't the same either since they did away w/ all the artists that used to ring the whole park. The city has always attracted wannabes. As Tennessee wrote, painters that don't paint, and writers that don't write. It would be remiss not to mention the incompetent and criminal politicians too. One ex governor just got out of federal prison, one ex mayor of N. O. is currently in prison, and David Duke is still slinking around down there somewhere.

Some things are still good like the food and the music, but that is not enough to make me go back even for a visit. The place is just lacking so much basic stuff compared to other cities. Great place to visit if you have street smarts and stay out of many parts of the city, NOT a good place to live. I suspect all the boosters here are not from New Orleans, and if you're from Ohio or Wisconsin the city can look mighty attractive. There are lots of other interesting vibrant cities in America though, so the choice isn't N. O. vs Mayberry. St Pete for example, is a great place to live, very liberal, beautiful, and much safer.

My adult memories of the place go back nearly 50 years, and many things have not gotten better. It was a high crime city 50 years ago, and it's a high crime city now. They don't call it The City That Care Forgot for nothing. At some point you realize that endlessly carousing on Bourbon St and eating high fat foods is not necessarily the best way to live your life, and most folks that leave never look back because nothing ever changes. We changed, but N.O. doesn't.
St Pete? There isn't a city in the state of Florida that has 1/4 the character and soul that New Orleans has. I guess everyone has different opinions. Most of the people I met in South Florida were from somewhere else, and couldn't wait to get back out of there.

I've been here for 10 years and have never been a victim of a crime. Most of the people I know here stay aware, just like any other city, but enjoy living here without fear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 04:56 PM

181 posts, read 138,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norb123 View Post
St Pete? There isn't a city in the state of Florida that has 1/4 the character and soul that New Orleans has. I guess everyone has different opinions. Most of the people I met in South Florida were from somewhere else, and couldn't wait to get back out of there.

I've been here for 10 years and have never been a victim of a crime. Most of the people I know here stay aware, just like any other city, but enjoy living here without fear.
St. Pete is incredibly boring.

Don't bother defending New Orleans.
It's best that cranky and negative people choose to live some place else.
Why convince them otherwise so that they move back and complain about it?

And I liked what you had to say before about children from small towns having nothing better to do then go looking for trouble. Excellent point.

Last edited by Alabamarose; 10-21-2016 at 05:19 PM..

Old 10-21-2016, 05:29 PM

860 posts, read 1,193,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabamarose View Post

And I liked what you had to say before about children from small towns having nothing better to do then go looking for trouble. Excellent point.
I try to let it go, and that is Smarino' s opinion, which I respect. I have lived in places that I have hated also. New Orleans is not for everyone. There are plenty of people who love it like you and I.

Old 10-22-2016, 12:12 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
New Orleans isn't for everyone but for everyone that feels like smarino, there's three more that feel the complete opposite.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:58 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Like that song goes "I love you, I hate you, I hate that I love you..." by Gnash. That song describes New Orleans. It's like a that bad person you still love.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:25 AM

3 posts, read 3,168 times
Quote:

There is NO possible comparison between St Pete in Nola, I lived in both (for years), St Pete is boring AF, what a horrible place to live, I would not live there ever again (or anywhere else in Florida).

Old 03-07-2017, 10:49 AM

2 posts, read 2,018 times
Quote:
I greatly appreciate how terribly you speak of the city of New Orleans. I appreciate everyone that speaks bad of it. I wish that there were more people like you doing their best to try to keep people from living there. Because if there were more people like you then sellers would have to drop their prices and it wouldn't cost a half million to a million dollars for a tiny two bedroom condo in the French Quarter. So please keep it up and continue to spread your message of hate for the city. Continue to warn everyone how horrible it is so that less people want to live there and it becomes cheaper.
I agree with this post 300%.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:09 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
New Orleans is definitely the "drama queen" of American cities.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:38 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
I love New Orleans, but I don't live there. I've visited twice, (post Katrina) and fantasize about living there. I sincerely hope I get the chance when I retire.

I look at houses for sale in New Orleans and surrounding area all the time...and yeah, it's dang expensive. LOL

But Lafayette would make me happy too.

To the OP...why are you considering Baltimore? A job transfer kind of thing? It'll be a huge adjustment for your daughter. I'm here to tell you, people in the south are friendlier.

When I was a kid, we moved from small town Florida, to the St. Louis area...I was shocked at how mean people were. LOL

I want to go back south so bad.

Have you considered Chattanooga? Friendly people, and business friendly, and reasonable housing prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans