U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 628 times

Advertisements

Hi! Can't believe you were from Encino, that's so close to home for me! I'm in Northridge.

My boyfriend and I are planning to move to NO because of a job opportunity for him to open a new office there. As for me, I have years of clerical experience, but my dream is to be self-employed. Are you and your family still in NO? I saw your post was from 2011. I would LOVE to hear your feedback on your exprience and how long it took you to adapt, etc.

My worries are: hurricanes, the crime rate I'm hearing about, and the weather (I've never adjusted to humidity even when visiting Alabama for a couple months). Being from LA with humidity not being our 'everyday' type of weather, and our crime rate not being too trecherous as far as murder, etc., I'm hoping you can share your experiences with me.

Truly, ANYTHING helps with the decision making and will give me an idea of what to look forward to -- or not.

- What are the safer cities?
- Is NO typically a 'clean' place to live? I've heard it's "run-down" from someone here in Cali.

I'm sure it's beautiful and the food and culture is amazing. Blessings to you & your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 06:32 AM

1,890 posts, read 2,512,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAtoNewOrleans View Post
Hi! Can't believe you were from Encino, that's so close to home for me! I'm in Northridge.

My boyfriend and I are planning to move to NO because of a job opportunity for him to open a new office there. As for me, I have years of clerical experience, but my dream is to be self-employed. Are you and your family still in NO? I saw your post was from 2011. I would LOVE to hear your feedback on your exprience and how long it took you to adapt, etc.

My worries are: hurricanes, the crime rate I'm hearing about, and the weather (I've never adjusted to humidity even when visiting Alabama for a couple months). Being from LA with humidity not being our 'everyday' type of weather, and our crime rate not being too trecherous as far as murder, etc., I'm hoping you can share your experiences with me.

Truly, ANYTHING helps with the decision making and will give me an idea of what to look forward to -- or not.

- What are the safer cities?
- Is NO typically a 'clean' place to live? I've heard it's "run-down" from someone here in Cali.

I'm sure it's beautiful and the food and culture is amazing. Blessings to you & your family.

I think I can help here...or at least I hope so

In 2016 my family and I left New Orleans for Los Angeles(county)...we lived in Santa Clarita. Not too far from you guys in Northridge.

The two areas really are vastly different - this isn't apples to apples at all. You will notice the drastic difference in climate and city upkeep immediately...among other things

The crime rate is high, but typically occurs among criminals. So keep your wits about you and don't sell drugs...you should be fine.

Flooding from rain downpour is much more of a common issue than actual hurricanes, though they do occur from time to time. You just need to plan and get out when necessary...much like with wildfires in L.A., which we experienced living there.

Look at hurricanes in New Orleans like earthquakes in L.A. - yea they happen, but not nearly as often as outsiders think. Though its worth noting that L.A. wildfires and earthquakes don't happen nearly as often as flooding in New Orleans.

While i don't care for terms like 'run-down' when describing my home, I cannot completely disagree with your friend's assessment. New Orleans isn't the cleanest city, but honestly its not much worse than parts of the Valley like Reseda or Van Nuys

The safer city? Los Angeles, but not by much

Cleaner city? Los Angeles

New Orleans has L.A. beat on culture, cuisine(highly subjective), and cost...that's about it

Old 06-30-2019, 10:45 PM

529 posts, read 992,837 times
New Orleans is a **** hole! There is nothing to do here except drink and eat. If you want to be a 21 year old frat boy again then move here. If you like old houses, a groovy art scene, and music then move here but, Los Angeles has all that and much more. One thing though is that New Orleans housing is as cheap as hell compared to Los Angeles!

Yes I've lived in Los Angeles and many other cities. (Why am I here? Right now dealing with family stuff.) California has so much more to do: ski, hike, beach, healthy food, excellent shopping, less crime, so many areas to explore, etc. New Orleans has swamps, gorgeous oak trees.

It's a cute little town at first BUT it gets old and boring quick.

The crime is insane! We are in top 5 every year for murder capital of America!

New Orleans to Baton Rouge is known as cancer alley b/c there are 187 chemical plants that pump out so many toxins naming this the most toxic air in Ameica along with the most cancer cases in America also!

But hey you might love it here? If you love to party and drink then this is the place for you!

Old 09-12-2019, 09:56 AM

61 posts, read 19,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mading6 View Post
New Orleans is a **** hole! There is nothing to do here except drink and eat. If you want to be a 21 year old frat boy again then move here. If you like old houses, a groovy art scene, and music then move here but, Los Angeles has all that and much more. One thing though is that New Orleans housing is as cheap as hell compared to Los Angeles!

Yes I've lived in Los Angeles and many other cities. (Why am I here? Right now dealing with family stuff.) California has so much more to do: ski, hike, beach, healthy food, excellent shopping, less crime, so many areas to explore, etc. New Orleans has swamps, gorgeous oak trees.

It's a cute little town at first BUT it gets old and boring quick.

The crime is insane! We are in top 5 every year for murder capital of America!

New Orleans to Baton Rouge is known as cancer alley b/c there are 187 chemical plants that pump out so many toxins naming this the most toxic air in Ameica along with the most cancer cases in America also!

But hey you might love it here? If you love to party and drink then this is the place for you!
Mading6, I have to echo almost everything you say. I've lived here most of my life, except for four great years in Denver. NO does get boring fast, it is run-down, the weather is awful (and that's before the hurricanes come waltzing along), the crime is high, the rents are high (though I suppose nothing like LA), the IQs are low, the streets are not properly paved . . . I could go on. Music can be had on CD or vinyl, food can be prepared anywhere. Neither is enough reason to deal with the kind of things I list.

I'm stuck here for now but plan to leave. Soon.

Old 09-12-2019, 01:54 PM

194 posts, read 161,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzadmiral View Post
Mading6, I have to echo almost everything you say. I've lived here most of my life, except for four great years in Denver. NO does get boring fast, it is run-down, the weather is awful (and that's before the hurricanes come waltzing along), the crime is high, the rents are high (though I suppose nothing like LA), the IQs are low, the streets are not properly paved . . . I could go on. Music can be had on CD or vinyl, food can be prepared anywhere. Neither is enough reason to deal with the kind of things I list.

I'm stuck here for now but plan to leave. Soon.
A friend sent me pics from Denver and the lush green landscape really stirred something in my heart. If only they would CLEAN this place and put forth SOME effort in controlling litter and beautifying the place. I'm stuck here for another 2-4 years (4 max) then I promise to never LIVE here again. The food, music, NONE of the so-called "treasures" are worth it...not even my extended family. I know there's a more peaceful, better quality of life to be had. I'm sick of this place.

Old 09-13-2019, 01:35 PM

61 posts, read 19,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali504 View Post
A friend sent me pics from Denver and the lush green landscape really stirred something in my heart. If only they would CLEAN this place and put forth SOME effort in controlling litter and beautifying the place. I'm stuck here for another 2-4 years (4 max) then I promise to never LIVE here again. The food, music, NONE of the so-called "treasures" are worth it...not even my extended family. I know there's a more peaceful, better quality of life to be had. I'm sick of this place.
Well put. In many cases the obsessive love of the city by NO natives is because they've never been anywhere else or lived anywhere else. When I came back from my first visit to New Mexico in May of 1992, my eyes had been opened, and I'll never look at the city with a shrug and a "Whattayagonnado?" attitude ever again. Now I know life doesn't have to be like this.

Not all of Denver is lush and green, be warned. Down near the Capitol building and the South Platte River area, yes, and in the city parks. But I loved the hard, spare rocky outcrops out to the west, and the cliffs as you drove up into the mountains. My first summer I went to see the Steve Miller Band at Red Rocks Park, which is about as far from the Denver city center as Kenner is from N.O. proper. Outdoors, in August. I'd never consider such a thing in Da Swamp.

Old 09-17-2019, 04:26 AM

7,688 posts, read 2,209,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzadmiral View Post
Well put. In many cases the obsessive love of the city by NO natives is because they've never been anywhere else or lived anywhere else. When I came back from my first visit to New Mexico in May of 1992, my eyes had been opened, and I'll never look at the city with a shrug and a "Whattayagonnado?" attitude ever again. Now I know life doesn't have to be like this.

Not all of Denver is lush and green, be warned. Down near the Capitol building and the South Platte River area, yes, and in the city parks. But I loved the hard, spare rocky outcrops out to the west, and the cliffs as you drove up into the mountains. My first summer I went to see the Steve Miller Band at Red Rocks Park, which is about as far from the Denver city center as Kenner is from N.O. proper. Outdoors, in August. I'd never consider such a thing in Da Swamp.
Lush and green are not two words associated with Denver and Colorado. Brown and dry are. I happen to like arid landscapes, but people should know what they're getting beforehand.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:29 PM

14,343 posts, read 20,775,930 times
I live in Denver now and while I much prefer my life here than in New Orleans, if New Orleans had its **** together, I'd much rather be there. You say music can be had anywhere, but there are no brass bands here, you say food can be cooked anywhere but there are numerous festivals of good food here. And while I don't think Denver particularly lacks greenery as some make it seem like its 100% barren but I wouldn't call it lush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans