U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 09:42 AM

5 posts, read 23,480 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Any advice from NO residents as to moving from Los Angeles to New Orleans. I may take up a job offer in NO and I want to get feedback from NO residents about living in NO.
1. The good, bad and ugly??
2. Has anyone from LA moved to NO, love to hear from you??
3. Safe neighborhoods to start a family??
4. Neighborhoods to buy a house??
5. Living in Mandeville (since it shows up as a safe neighborhood) and commuting to NO on a daily basis - any thoughts on that??
Thanks in advance

Last edited by valtam; 12-29-2011 at 10:02 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 05:07 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,713,972 times
1. good- fun, friendly people bad-politics ugly-crime
2. somebody on here just moved from LA last week, maybe she'll comment
3. depends on your tolerance for crime and traffic
4. "
5. very nice area, but I refuse to drive the Causeway at this point- a 24-mile bridge is pretty damn long

Old 12-29-2011, 10:10 PM

Thanks

Old 12-30-2011, 03:17 AM

129 posts, read 303,762 times
Hey, I just moved to New Orleans from Los Angeles about two weeks ago. I can't really give you any advice right now because we aren't settled in yet, but I wanted to say "hi!" Los Angeles will always be my home and I'm missing it very much right now (not because there is anything wrong with NO, just because my heart is in LA), but I think that living here will be ok for us. We moved here because my husband is a carpenter and there aren't any jobs for him in LA. We heard there were jobs a'plenty in NO so here we are. We have a five-month-old daughter and are looking for an apartment in Uptown or the Garden District, which seem like family-friendly locations. We drove through the areas a few days ago and it was just beautiful. We walked down Magazine St. and it was really vibrant and alive - reminded me of some areas in LA.

Have you ever been to New Orleans? I would say if you haven't then moving from LA would be a shock. We'd been here many times over the years for little vacations, so we had an idea of what we were getting into. We've also lived all over Florida so we are used to the south (not that Florida is considered the "true south," but some things are similar). I really think either you love it here or you don't, know what I mean? I have to admit that the crime and murder rate here really freak me out. I never felt scared anywhere in LA, but my husband thinks that he heard two gunshots off in the distance tonight - who knows, though. I guess that could happen anywhere you live.

I would definitely suggest visiting before you move if you haven't been here before. We love it here but have known from the start that it probably won't be forever since we both feel like LA is "home." If you have any other questions I'll try to answer them. What area of LA do you live in? We were in Encino.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:32 PM

Hi summerwriter,
Thanks for the feedback. I did read your earlier thread. I wish you and your family the very best and a very happy and prosperous new year!! I have never been to NO. Have visited Florida a couple of times but I too have similar reasons as you to some extent... LA is great but being young and trying to start a family in LA is just ridiculously expensive. NO seems to be better in terms of cost of living but the crime rate is scary. I agree with you I have never felt unsafe in LA although it has its own problems like traffic, high coat etc. I love Encino it is such a great place. Thanks a lot for the feedback, I appreciate it.
Valtam

Old 12-30-2011, 02:33 PM

Hi Summerwriter,
I am in culver city now

Old 12-30-2011, 02:41 PM

15,820 posts, read 23,867,566 times
More honest workers lessens the crime rate. Keep on coming folks!

Old 12-30-2011, 06:40 PM

3,039 posts, read 5,686,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
More honest workers lessens the crime rate. Keep on coming folks!

Oh, alright then we'll bleedin' well move there then, geez!

It's such a different city to 'anywhere else' that visiting a few times is really worth it. if you can, try the seasonal extremes..if you can take summer there you can do just about anything! I don't know how it compares to Florida but if you like soupy and steamy you'll be set. Last winter though, it sleeted while we were there. Non-extremes are so boring, don't you think?

I've found networking to be easier in NOLA simply because people there are so approachable. Just about everyone has cell-phones to enter information but it may just be worth having a card with your info on it to hand out. We got a house-sitting gig just because we were sitting on our stoop at the right time. All it took was giving the neighbor a glass of the wine we were drinking.

I'm glad things are working out for summerwriter, you go girl!

Old 12-30-2011, 11:32 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,438,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerwriter View Post
Hey, I just moved to New Orleans from Los Angeles about two weeks ago. I can't really give you any advice right now because we aren't settled in yet, but I wanted to say "hi!" Los Angeles will always be my home and I'm missing it very much right now (not because there is anything wrong with NO, just because my heart is in LA), but I think that living here will be ok for us. We moved here because my husband is a carpenter and there aren't any jobs for him in LA. We heard there were jobs a'plenty in NO so here we are. We have a five-month-old daughter and are looking for an apartment in Uptown or the Garden District, which seem like family-friendly locations. We drove through the areas a few days ago and it was just beautiful. We walked down Magazine St. and it was really vibrant and alive - reminded me of some areas in LA.

Have you ever been to New Orleans? I would say if you haven't then moving from LA would be a shock. We'd been here many times over the years for little vacations, so we had an idea of what we were getting into. We've also lived all over Florida so we are used to the south (not that Florida is considered the "true south," but some things are similar). I really think either you love it here or you don't, know what I mean? I have to admit that the crime and murder rate here really freak me out. I never felt scared anywhere in LA, but my husband thinks that he heard two gunshots off in the distance tonight - who knows, though. I guess that could happen anywhere you live.

I would definitely suggest visiting before you move if you haven't been here before. We love it here but have known from the start that it probably won't be forever since we both feel like LA is "home." If you have any other questions I'll try to answer them. What area of LA do you live in? We were in Encino.
You've been living in NOLA for two weeks and have only heard two gunshots so far? You're doing well!

Old 12-31-2011, 11:21 AM

Thanks jacq63
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans