U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 11:46 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,407,376 times

Advertisements

I haven't heard any non-rhoticity from Landrieu, at least not enough to notice. Historically there was an Uptown white accent which shared a lot with other forms of upper-class Southern white speech.

Non-rhoticity is a funny thing, in that in America it *is* generally perceived to be a hallmark of the less-educated but then you have Boston Brahmin speech, which is non-rhotic, and upper-class British speech which is both non-rhotic and uses "ain't".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 11:57 PM

172 posts, read 349,142 times
I once saw an Australian comedy show where the crew visited an Outback restaurant in America and heckled the patrons and staff about how NOT authentic Australian it was. That also is how I feel about Popeyes. Fried chicken is Southern food, and soul food, sure, but if Popeyes wants to represent New Orleans all over the USA, they should replace the chicken with shrimp or some other kind of seafood. Not sure but I think Church's Chicken, which merged with Popeyes but now is separate again, was started by a black family in Texas near the Alamo. If so, how weird is that... black Texans and white Louisianans both making a fortune from fried chicken! I would expect it to be the other way around. Was Al Copeland a YAT? Now I'm really curious. Strangely, Popeyes, Church's, and KFC have all been dying out in Philly lately. They all started closing locations 10 years ago now. There aren't really any good soul food places in the area so it really is kind of a shame.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicoz View Post
I once saw an Australian comedy show where the crew visited an Outback restaurant in America and heckled the patrons and staff about how NOT authentic Australian it was. That also is how I feel about Popeyes. Fried chicken is Southern food, and soul food, sure, but if Popeyes wants to represent New Orleans all over the USA, they should replace the chicken with shrimp or some other kind of seafood. Not sure but I think Church's Chicken, which merged with Popeyes but now is separate again, was started by a black family in Texas near the Alamo. If so, how weird is that... black Texans and white Louisianans both making a fortune from fried chicken! I would expect it to be the other way around. Was Al Copeland a YAT? Now I'm really curious. Strangely, Popeyes, Church's, and KFC have all been dying out in Philly lately. They all started closing locations 10 years ago now. There aren't really any good soul food places in the area so it really is kind of a shame.
Are you in New Orleans or Philly? Now I'm getting confused...

anyway, Copeland was by any definition a yat. He started Popeye's in St. Bernard Parish, which is about as yatty a place as you'll ever find. But yeah, I've been pissed about the "French Quarter" themed restaurants that Popeye's have since they came out. For the love of all that is holy, if you're going to buy a New Orleans-based restaurant chain and run it out of Atlanta, have some respect for our local culture and don't litter our metro with stores selling our own culture back to us (the chicken is still delicious though, which you can thank Copeland for- even after he lost control of the company(ies) he still owned the recipes).

This is pretty much off-topic, but I used to work in an office that had phonebook software installed on all the computers, and you could perform counts. We had 69 Popeye's at the time (this was around 2001) and Portland, OR had 2. Don't know why I mentioned that other than that I guess I feel sorry for people who don't know the taste of a spicy leg and a biscuit. I once heard somebody say they "hadn't really eaten until they came to New Orleans". For a lot of people, that chicken is as close as they'll ever get.

I think I may be hungry.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:25 AM

54,210 posts, read 48,846,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
New Orleans, while geographically located in the Deep South is a very cosmopolitan and diverse city with a strong influence of French, African and Spanish cultures and history.

New Orleans is in a universe by itself and I could go on all day about that.

Southeast louisiana has a very large Italian presence, as scores of Sicilian immigrants settled here from the 1890s to the 1920s, to work in the cane fields alongside the local and free Blacks and perform other labor that needed workers.

Folklife in the Florida Parishes: Italian-American Folklife

As a result, my great GF on my mothers side from Sicily got together with my great GM, who was Black and worked in the fields. The same intance occured on my father's side as well. I had no knowledge of this until 10 years ago, as this was a taboo subject on both sides.

Additionally, Greek, Chinese, Irish, German, Middle Eastern (mainly Lebanese) and Eastern Europeans settled in N.O. shortly before and at the turn of last century. At some point, there was even a small Chinatown and there is also the Irish Channel.

I never get bored with reading about Lousisiana and it's history as there is always something new to learn.

If there is such thing as a "gumbo" of different cultures and racial mixtures, New Orleans and South La. is definitely it.
This reminds me of Brazil.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:27 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,420,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This reminds me of Brazil.
Many similarities between the two, both historically and modern.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:42 PM

I love New Orleans culture but I hate fried food. Non-fried seafood is another story.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicoz View Post
I love New Orleans culture but I hate fried food. Non-fried seafood is another story.
I'm not too big on most fried food either, but Popeye's is the nectar of the gods. And I guess I should count Natchitoches meat pies as fried food too. Mmm, Delish.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:35 PM

I heard there was a lawsuit involving the Amish in Wisconsin in 1972 called Wisconsin vs Yoder, and with a non-rhotic Amish accent that name would sound like "Yoda"! Even more hilarious is that of course the Amish have no idea who Yoda is...

Old 01-22-2012, 07:14 PM

Speaking of cuisine, does Rite Aid still sell K&B ice cream? Rite Aid bought the Thrifty drugstore chain in California and continues to sell their famous ice cream. I hope they still have K&B spumoni. A local chain of stores in an area without Italian influence probably would never have that flavor. Too bad Howard Johnson's ice cream is completely gone now.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:45 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,209,457 times
nope, K&B is dead altogether
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or