U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 05:49 PM

5 posts, read 5,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
I have been battling with my 13 yo niece over Mardi Gras ever since she moved here last Aug. She's never done Mardi Gras and has repeatedly told me that parades are stupid and that she thinks it's a waste of time to stand there and wave at people. When I mentioned that people are going to be throwing her beads she got a tiny bit more interested. All I can say is that I can't wait to see the look on that kid's face when we drag her to her first parade. Elphie, you need to bring a camera and get a picture of your daughter's face when she realizes why there isn't one NOLA kid who would trade a fair ride for a parade during Carnival season.

PS. There won't be any lack of fair rides during festival season. Southeastern LA is crawling with festivals from abt. March - June and then things pick up again abt. late Sept.- Nov., (well Dec. if you count the Renaissance Festival up in Hammond). And there are plenty filler festivals in between these peak seasonal times.
Oh I plan on taking lots of pictures. I know she will be shocked. Coming from Galveston they are used to parades and stuff during Mardi Gras; we take the kids to a few each year that we deem child friendly. Our first year here we spent most of the time make them cover their eyes and so learned to be a bit more discerning. While I know Galveston's Mardi Gras in no way even comes anywhere close to New Orleans (we average about 250,000) my kids are very used to the bead throwing. What I don't think they get is the number of parades and how much more elaborate the floats and costumes are. Is it true that y'all all get Mardi Gras costumes every year to wear, even people that aren't in the krewes?

Another question I have is how on earth does the average family afford to go to all the festivals if there are so many? LOL It sounds like fun but I know they can get very expensive in a hurry.

I'm going to have a lot to learn about all the different seasons in New Orleans. I can't wait though. I have literally waited my entire life to move there and I full intend to make it my home for the rest of my life. I fell in love with New Orleans when I was nine years old and if all goes as planned will finally realize a dream 30 years in the making in June.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 08:33 AM

1,127 posts, read 4,642,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphie View Post
Is it true that y'all all get Mardi Gras costumes every year to wear, even people that aren't in the krewes?

Another question I have is how on earth does the average family afford to go to all the festivals if there are so many? LOL It sounds like fun but I know they can get very expensive in a hurry.
Costuming, for me is HUGE, (so I go to the Quarter), and back when I was a kid, you could expect to see many people in costumes. Sadly that tradition is fading away. If you do the parade routes on Mardi Gras, don't count on seeing too many costumes. People will don a funny hat or wear Mardi Gras themed shirts. If you hit the Quarter you will see a lot more costumes. Actually Jackson Square, Royal and Decatur St. aren't that bad as far as "adult" behavior goes, there will be a few eye cover moments, but if you want to see costumes with the kids, that would be a good place. Whatever you do, don't head to Bourbon with the kids, tourists are there behaving like Girls Gone Wild.

Festivals are expensive, but it doesn't cost anything to go and look or park a chair in front of the band and dance. What we do is eat a light meal ahead of time and sample a few dishes. As far as the kids go, when ours was little, we limited the amount of rides/games and set up that expectation before we got to the fair. When the boy got older we handed him the money and told him to budget it however he wanted. We had the advantage of usually running into people we knew and the kids would end up playing together while we watched the bands. Now there are some festivals where you have to pay to get in, so do your research ahead of time. Here's a good site for festivals: Clarence's List of Louisiana Festivals 2012 and http://www.nola.com/festivals/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans